Graphics glitch

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
OK, I just bought a new PC, installed Cave Story (winXP) and I'm getting a very strange graphics corruption problem.

diph.php

As you can see, only text is affected.

I'm using the default Courier font and this seems to happen regardless of which version of Cave Story I install, be it the Deluxe or regular translated version.

This didn't happen on my old PC, either.

Any ideas?

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:34 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Is your PC the 64-bit version? That could be it...
Update your DirectX drivers as well.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm using the newest version of Directx for the 32-bit version of Windows XP. Videocard drivers are a bit older than what I should be using, but that's because of an unrelated glitch with widescreen monitor scaling.

I mean, it may very well be a videocard driver issue and I'd be stuck until nVidia fixes the bug so I can download the latest version.

But the strange thing is that during testing, I disabled my second CPU core and the multicolored graphic distortion went away, but the text still had a habit of continually writing over itself.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
thats wierd but for now if you have played cavestory you should know what happens anyway right? too bad for your problem tho :D

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmmm, things to try, right click the program, properties and set it to compatibility mode and try various settings. If none of that works, goto start menu, run, dxdiag, and under the display tab maybe try disabling one accerleration at a time? I know it works for the sound problems people were having but don't know about video problems...

Also try running it when no other programs are running, or in the taskbar etc
[you could try looking around in Task Manager [Alt+ctrl+del] but unless you know what you're doing probably just end up causing the computer to want to restart :D]

If you can mess with Nvidia settings, you can try different things there, and of course make sure you have a normal desktop; no visualizations or other windows open behind cavestory... Also does it have problems when you run cave story in window mode too?

If none of these work... maybe go to control panel Regional Options, Regional Language Options, Languages tab and Install files for East Asian languages; don't think that'll help but it might be worth a shot.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My apologies for such a late bump, but I've finally isolated the problem. I'm not sure if it's a bug with my particular videocard, but I was having the same exact issue in both XP and Vista (dual-boot). That's with two different driver sets, of course.

I tried everything suggested in this thread + tons of other stuff. Disabling CPU cores, process priority, various compatibility modes. Nothing helped until I disabled DirectDraw through DirectX. Runs perfectly, but only when DirectDraw is off.

Small price to pay to finally be able to run this game again, IMO.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Hoxtilicious
diph.php

My Cave Storay broken!!!11!1oneoneone

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:54 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
S. P. Gardebiter said:
do you really mean that? :p

looks cool :rolleyes:

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:24 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Glad it worked out for you epmode! Will have to remember that one if anyone else encounters a similar issue...

Looks like Quote has eaten the :mad:Red Flower:mad:!

And xristosx... What... what's in that bottle Pikachu has??? :rolleyes:

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:59 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
X-Calibar said:
Glad it worked out for you epmode! Will have to remember that one if anyone else encounters a similar issue...

Looks like Quote has eaten the :mad:Red Flower:mad:!

And xristosx... What... what's in that bottle Pikachu has??? :rolleyes:

tomato sauce, and his sad its broken :p