Graphics Enhancement Pack

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:44 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:46 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
But that's what the window_upscale feature's for.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:49 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
What are you talking about?
p365408-0-xfxvhxfx7tg.jpg

p365408-1-xqpnxkcy1z8.jpg

p365408-2-ltqjcyilzus.jpg

p365408-3-tcjxi8qcc9e.jpg

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:45 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Loving the graphics enhancement pack Clownacy! Did run into an issue though:

Launching fullscreen in 3840x2160 resolution:
For some reason at sprite_resolution = 10, whenever fullscreen_integer_scaling = true, I can't seem to launch the game. Soon as I disable integer_scaling it works again, or set sprite resolution = 9 or less while integer_scaling = true.

It already runs wonderfully with 4k, vsync and smooth movement. But noticed how it resized with nearest neighbor I guess, which ends up with stuff like this:
p365796-0-4ktestissue.gif

King's eye gets squished and other minor deformations occur since it's altering it for full screen.
Was hoping that integer_scaling would solve that. Windowed looks perfect, but no vsync...

Code:
; Makes the game run at 60FPS instead of 50, just like the prototype versions
; of the game, and Cave Story+.
60fps = true

; This is the horizontal component of the aspect ratio.
; In 16:9, this would be 16.
aspect_ratio_x = 16

; This is the vertical component of the aspect ratio.
; In 16:9, this would be 9.
aspect_ratio_y = 9

; When this is enabled, the game draws black bars over the out-of-bounds parts
; of the screen when in a small room.
; Without this, some places look silly, including one of the endings.
black_bars = true

; This disables the black bars specifically in the Ironhead boss fight.
; This should be useful for mods that repurpose the Ironhead boss room
; for something else.
disable_ironhead_black_bars = false

; This controls the size of the game window in windowed mode.
; At 4:3, 1 is 320x240, 2 is 640x480, 3 is 960x720, etc.
; This improves font smoothness in fullscreen, and enables higher resolution
; output when combined with remove_sprite_alignment and a high sprite_resolution
window_upscale = 10

; This controls the resolution of the game's sprites.
; 1 is normal, 2 doubles the resolution, 3 triples it, etc.
; For reference, normal Cave Story is 1, Cave Story+'s "New" graphics are 2.
sprite_resolution = 10

; This removes a stylistic choice in the original game where all sprites have their
; pixels locked to a low-resolution grid, forcing an accurate 320x240 aesthetic,
; even when playing in fullscreen on a HD monitor.
; That doesn't work so well when using higher-resolution sprites, as they'll seem to
; just stutter as they move. It also makes camera movements look kind of stiff.
remove_sprite_alignment = true

; This replaces the game's normal fullscreen with a borderless-windowed implementation.
borderless_fullscreen = false

; Enables V-Sync, but only in exclusive fullscreen mode (borderless_fullscreen must be off).
; Normally, at 60FPS, the game's frame output is pretty unstable, with dropped frames all
; over the place. With V-Sync, it's much better.
; Note that this will not work if your monitor is not 60Hz.
fullscreen_vsync = true

; This forces fullscreen to only display at a multiple of the original resolution,
; preventing blurring, but potentially reducing the size of the screen.
fullscreen_integer_scaling = true

; With this, the game will automatically detect the aspect ratio of your monitor,
; allowing it to fill as much as possible.
fullscreen_auto_aspect_ratio = false

; This lets the game detect the most it can upscale the game to fit your monitor.
; See window_upscale.
fullscreen_auto_window_upscale = false
EDIT: btw Nothing appears in the debug window or error, just times out and closes.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 8:21 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Launching fullscreen in 3840x2160 resolution
Did you try borderless widescreen? By default I think the scaling in fullscreen is a bit weird whereas iirc clownacy specifally setup the borderless one to combat it.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:36 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Did you try borderless widescreen? By default I think the scaling in fullscreen is a bit weird whereas iirc clownacy specifally setup the borderless one to combat it.
Hey, good thought, but nope same problem. Fails to load. Soon as I set fullscreen_integer_scaling = false or sprite_resolution = less than 10, it works though.

Ah just noticed this too: "; Enables V-Sync, but only in exclusive fullscreen mode (borderless_fullscreen must be off)." Really hoping to have vsync + no distortion ;)

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:52 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I fixed fullscreen back in v1.4. I just keep borderless around nowadays for people that like fast alt-tabbing.

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:56 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
...Welp. It's not exactly a bug. The point of integer-scaling is that the game displays at a multiple of its internal resolution: sprite_resolution = 10 means the game goes from 240p to 2400p. That's too big for 3840x2160. This means the internal resolution gets rounded down to 0, which is why it errors-out.

It's not something that can be 'fixed', but I've made the DLL detect this, and print an error message before falling back on the regular fullscreen mode. The update's here.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:56 AM
Indie game enthusiast
How did I miss that. You're right! I switched to 3840x2400 and it loaded fine. Though apparently unstretched 2400 resolution with widescreen runs slowly... But, fortunately standard 4:3, 2400p runs perfectly at 60fps. I can work with that~

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:10 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
v1.5.2

Unfortunately, nothing's new except a fix for the scrolling-cloud backgrounds not being affected by the 'remove_sprite_alignment' setting. I've also added an option, 'simple_cloud_background', that disables the fancy background tiling used in widescreen, for compatibility with certain mods.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:09 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hiya

Thanks for your magnificent work on this mod, so lovely to have the best qualities of both the freeware and Plus versions together :)

One query; I have the Plus 480p sprites courtesy of Plus on Steam, alas I'm a bit unclear as to how to inject them into this coupled with the sprite size setting at 2. Do they all need their file types changed?

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:18 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hiya

Thanks for your magnificent work on this mod, so lovely to have the best qualities of both the freeware and Plus versions together :)

One query; I have the Plus 480p sprites courtesy of Plus on Steam, alas I'm a bit unclear as to how to inject them into this coupled with the sprite size setting at 2. Do they all need their file types changed?
They can fit in the same directories as in CS+, one thing that I'd like to point out is that CS+ may sometimes contain .png files instead of .bmp files, you can just save those as 24 bit bitmaps and they'll work with Vanilla

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:41 AM
War criminal
Huh, that's weird then because my steam copy of cs+ is reading the images as pngs? I'll provide the screenshots in an edit for this post.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:16 AM
War criminal
Sorry for the wait, shit happened. Anyway, I just checked now and... they're in bitmaps.
dga0kb.png

Now, as much as I am often called out for crying wolf, I swear to gods they were png files last time I checked. It was really weird