Golvellius 1 & 2

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:01 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I just recently got hooked an old school action-rpg series called Golvellius which completely rocks the house. Anyone else ever this game? I just finished the Sega Master System version recently and I'm planning on starting the two offical English translated ones over at Woomb.net soon. It reminds me of a combination of Zelda, Zelda 2, Wonderboy, and Guardian Legend. (Which consequently is from Compile which was the original developer of Guardian Legend.)

Golvellius 1 and 2 were officially released in English by Woomb.net licensing it via "Compile Station / D4 Enterprise" (D4 = The MSX releasers in Japan that are heading the Wii MSX virtual console lineup). Hopefully that means that it too may possibly be later added to the Wii Virtual Console lineup down the line. One can hope as these are fantastic games.

Check them out if you are interested in old school action-RPGS. And of course don't forget about Xak. : P

Golvellius

Golvellius 2

-SkyeWelse

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Here's the Golvellius 2 opening untranslated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CdXh_VqK7M

I can personally vouch for the Sega Master System version of Golvellius. In the 8-bit days I thought more of Golvellius then the NES powerhouse Legend of Zelda games [Zelda 1 and 2]. The music was timeless, the action was pretty good, and it had a pretty interesting story.

I'd like to try this Golvellius 2 game, when I eventually get the chance...! It looks like it goes much deeper into a Golvellius story...

For the record, here's the Sega Master System intro for Golvellius :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7fhohgmR1g

[Oh and I see you mentioned Wonderboy ;) Used to love those games [Wonderboy 2 : Wonderboy in Monsterland and Wonderboy 3 : The Dragon's Trap... Although I never did beat either of them... :(]]

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:46 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I'd like to try this Golvellius 2 game, when I eventually get the chance...! It looks like it goes much deeper into a Golvellius story...
From what I understand it does (Like Xak, Ys, Zelda) repeat the story of the original legend of Golvellius and the Valley of Doom, but while it's not techinically a sequel in this regard, it is thought to be more like a Golvellius 1.5 in that the events of Golvellius exist within most of the first half of Golvellius 2. I haven't made it that far in Gol 2 yet, but I'm hoping I'll be able to free up some game time soon to play it more...

Although unlocking Adol in Arena Mode of Ys Origins and the fact that I've started a replay of Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim doesn't exactly help things. lol I'm in such an Ys mood these days, perhaps because of the impending release of Ys V. I'm sure you are awaiting the big day that Ys V's patch is released too am I right? : )

Edit: Nice finds on Youtube. That had some unlockable content and promotional content that I haven't seen yet. Interesting.

-SkyeWelse

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Why aren't Golvellius 1 & 2 listed on the XYZ site?

SkyeWelse said:
lol I'm in such an Ys mood these days, perhaps because of the impending release of Ys V. I'm sure you are awaiting the big day that Ys V's patch is released too am I right? : )

It has been at 80% for a long time now, It looks so good but we probably won't see a release till 2008.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:18 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well they are basically sitting on it over at AGTP. The script is done, now comes to coding, hacking and fine tuning. But yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I didn't know you were an Ys fan andwhyisit. Good to see more of them here. : )

As for Golvelius, well I haven't had a chance to update that section of the site for a very long time now. Looking forward to getting a chance to do that one of these days. lol

-SkyeWelse

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SkyeWelse said:
Well they are basically sitting on it over at AGTP. The script is done, now comes to coding, hacking and fine tuning. But yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I didn't know you were an Ys fan andwhyisit. Good to see more of them here. : )

As for Golvelius, well I haven't had a chance to update that section of the site for a very long time now. Looking forward to getting a chance to do that one of these days. lol

-SkyeWelse
I am a fan of the JRPG genre. :D

Can't wait for Ys 5, I never got round to playing ys 1-4 but 5 caught my interest and I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't in Japanese.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:34 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
andwhyisit said:
I am a fan of the JRPG genre. :D

Can't wait for Ys 5, I never got round to playing ys 1-4 but 5 caught my interest and I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't in Japanese.
Well actually, everything except for Ys V and Ys Origins has been translated in some form either official or fantranslated. If you are interested in playing them in English sometime you should head over to the Ancient Land of Ys forums or Plight of the Fantranslator (The guy responsible for just about all of the Ys translations).

Personally, I wouldn't start the series with Ys V though. Definitely start with either Ys I&II (Usually coupled together since one storyline flows directly into the next) or Ys III.

-SkyeWelse

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SkyeWelse said:
Well actually, everything except for Ys V and Ys Origins has been translated in some form either official or fantranslated. If you are interested in playing them in English sometime you should head over to the Ancient Land of Ys forums or Plight of the Fantranslator (The guy responsible for just about all of the Ys translations).

Personally, I wouldn't start the series with Ys V though. Definitely start with either Ys I&II (Usually coupled together since one storyline flows directly into the next) or Ys III.

-SkyeWelse
What are the best versions of Ys I?

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:38 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
The best version of Ys I and Ys II respectively are the current versions called Ys I&II Eternal Complete for the Japanese PC. These games will work on any PC as long as you have it set in Japanese mode in the regional langauge options. Also, both games have been fully translated by Nightwolve and the patches can be downloaded at his site.

If you can't get access to these versions or simply don't feel that you can order them (there is a faq over at Nightwolve's place that pretty much details how to order them from Japan without fail) then I would consider getting the PC-Engine/Turbo Grafx Duo version of Ys Books I&II. This game might actually be coming for Wii's virtual console or at least that is what the rumor is.

-SkyeWelse

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:29 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SkyeWelse said:
If you can't get access to these versions or simply don't feel that you can order them (there is a faq over at Nightwolve's place that pretty much details how to order them from Japan without fail) then I would consider getting the PC-Engine/Turbo Grafx Duo version of Ys Books I&II.
I am trying to get them to work on my PSP because I have more time to play games on buses and trains (my home consoles are gathering dust) but PC-Engine CD emulation is a pain to figure out. The game works at the moment but no music yet, I'll get there eventually, I am not overly fond of that border though.

EDIT: AAGH! I fixed the MP3 files and it still won't play the music.

EDIT2: Music plays now but won't loop, I think it's just the emulator that is causing the trouble, but that's alright.

I have gone on a quest to buy the best sword and armor before seeing the fortune teller, I've almost gotten the sword. :D

Nov 19, 2007 at 2:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I've finished Ys 1. It's good but very short, the transition between the two games could have been better though.

Bringing up the "Action-Adventure-RPG Genre page" subject again, wasn't there an untranslated SNES version of Popful Mail?

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I don't think there was ever a version of Popful Mail, but it is possible. There are always games that I'm finding that I never thought existed before.

Glad you enjoyed Ys 1, but have you finished Ys 2 yet? I think the two chapters of Ys 1 and 2 pretty much compliment each other, at least as far as an old fashioned story goes. There are some very old games that came out during times when games didn't have big narritives.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SkyeWelse said:
I don't think there was ever a version of Popful Mail, but it is possible. There are always games that I'm finding that I never thought existed before.

Glad you enjoyed Ys 1, but have you finished Ys 2 yet? I think the two chapters of Ys 1 and 2 pretty much compliment each other, at least as far as an old fashioned story goes. There are some very old games that came out during times when games didn't have big narritives.

-SkyeWelse
The transition could have been better though. No i haven't. :(

Glad you're back. :D

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
The transition could have been better though. No i haven't. :(

Glad you're back. :D

Hi SkyWelse. Havent seen you ever since I told you about the "un-able to post" problem <:

Thanks once again. lol

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Also I just started playing Gurumin. :D

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I realize this topic is a bit old now, but what did you think of Gurumin? I don't own a PSP, but I've been wanting to play it. It seems that there may be other Falcom games on their way over here soon possibly for the PSP, one series called Zwei!! is a nice action-rpg which was just released on PSP in Japan. Falcom is also releasing another Brandish game for PSP.

Also, Atlas is publishing the DS version of Ys I & II Eternal as "The Legacy of Ys" which is going to be released February 10th here in the states.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SkyeWelse;42216 said:
I realize this topic is a bit old now, but what did you think of Gurumin? I don't own a PSP, but I've been wanting to play it. It seems that there may be other Falcom games on their way over here soon possibly for the PSP, one series called Zwei!! is a nice action-rpg which was just released on PSP in Japan. Falcom is also releasing another Brandish game for PSP.

Also, Atlas is publishing the DS version of Ys I & II Eternal as "The Legacy of Ys" which is going to be released February 10th here in the states.

-SkyeWelse
Gurumin was a wonderful game. As for Zwei, I am eagerly awaiting that one. :D

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:45 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I just ordered Zwei!! for PC and I'm looking quite forward to it. There is a translation project in the works for an English patch, so that's quite awesome.
Also,The Ys VI PC English patch was released recently, with Ys Origin being next in line for a translation. Then there's some interest in translating Xanadu Next as well, so between all of the various projects being pursued, there is a lot of Falcom love to go around. : )

I'd love to give Gurumin a spin when I eventually get a PSP. It's one of the titles I plan to get first, along with Dracula X Chronicles.

-SkyeWelse

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SkyeWelse;42275 said:
I just ordered Zwei!! for PC and I'm looking quite forward to it. There is a translation project in the works for an English patch, so that's quite awesome.
I meant the PSP version.

SkyeWelse;42275 said:
I'd love to give Gurumin a spin when I eventually get a PSP. It's one of the titles I plan to get first, along with Dracula X Chronicles.
Dracula X Chronicles utterly killed me difficulty-wise. I died repeatedly on level 2.