God?

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:47 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This is just a question I wanna ask everyone

As an athiest, I don't believe in the existence of a god so I'm interested to know, if you were a god, how would you rule your existence? Would you make people worshop you? Would you protect them? Would you just watch and see what happens? Would there be contact between you and your people?

I'm asking this cause I don't understand the rules that come with certain religions. If there were a god, a creator of everything, I'd imagine it to have created an existance for entertainment. If there is no contact between man and god then why are there all these rules? What I mean is why there were followers of "god" who decided: oh! that must be a sin!, and then it becomes some kind of rule of god. Some sins aren't even particularly bad, like say vanity. What harm does vanity do?

So how would you rule your universe if you were a god like entity?

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uncy Dave said:
This is just a question I wanna ask everyone

As an athiest, I don't believe in the existence of a god so I'm interested to know, if you were a god, how would you rule your existence? Would you make people worshop you? Would you protect them? Would you just watch and see what happens? Would there be contact between you and your people?
Creating life is one thing, micromanaging it is another. Why bother? Just pop in to Earth (or any other world supporting life) every million years or so, check that everything is working fine, then return to more important duties. *shrug*

A balance needs to be kept, and that can only really be done by letting things play out.

Who knows. Maybe some random deity will one day check Earth, then go all environmentalist on us and attempt to destroy the Human race so that the planet can fix itself.

Maybe he/she doesn't care as long as we keep a cycle of souls flowing.

When it comes to religion my policy is that anything could be possible. If there is truth behind any religion (which is entirely possible), the story, like any story that is based in truth, becomes twisted over time with each telling. It is also can be possible that all religions and even the atheist viewpoint is wrong.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
Creating life is one thing, micromanaging it is another. Why bother? Just pop in to Earth (or any other world supporting life) every million years or so, check that everything is working fine, then return to more important duties. *shrug*

A balance needs to be kept, and that can only really be done by letting things play out.

Who knows. Maybe some random deity will one day check Earth, then go all environmentalist on us and attempt to destroy the Human race so that the planet can fix itself.

Maybe he/she doesn't care as long as we keep a cycle of souls flowing.

When it comes to religion my policy is that anything could be possible. If there is truth behind any religion (which is entirely possible), the story, like any story that is based in truth, becomes twisted over time with each telling. It is also can be possible that all religions and even the atheist viewpoint is wrong.

Mod material :eek:

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Why bother with God when you have Kage?

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
WITH IMMORTAL FIRES OF BURNING DEATH D:<

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Schokobecher said:
WITH IMMORTAL FIRES OF BURNING DEATH D:<

Yes. Schokobecher worships me. I am immortal, as well.

And I can burn you to death. And my flames are made of death.

I can also kill you to death with my flames of fire. And death.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
DEATH FLAMES OF BURNING FLAMING DEATH MADE OF FIRE!

FUJIWARA NO MOKOU

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Been here way too long...
I'm pretty sure Will Wright answered that question for me. If I were God, I'd create a race of penis-monsters and have them destroy all other living things. It's the obvious choice, right? Of course, perhaps God did that on another planet.
Seriously now, if I were God, I wouldn't want people worshipping me all the time, or fighting wars in my name, or... well, maybe I would, because it would be funny. Either God is busy doing all sorts of things, too preoccupied to cater to our planet, so we go screw up whatever we want or do anything, or God really is all-powerful, and he's just getting bored and letting us do things like World War II, the Rwanda massacre, and Big Brother 10.
So maybe God gets bored sometimes, like right now. He could go screw with us, by creating a flood or by giving us the gift of lasers, or he could just leave Earth alone and go do other things, like andwhyisit said. I believe that's what God is doing right now.
Think of it like The Sims (I know you've played it). You go and make a family, or a neighborbood, and you have fun caring for them and play the game like it's supposed to be played. But then, you've done all there is to do, and it gets repetitious, so you get creative. You set up a household for the long term, hit x3 speed, and come back a few hours later to see what happened. Two Sims are dead, one is running around the house naked, one is playing with an imaginary bunny, and the child is crying is his room because no one's fed him for days. Will God come back to his Sims game and right the wrongs, or will he just laugh at us? We'll never know, but maybe we should learn to get along better than Sims.

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM
If your Sim gets lonely enough, they will imagine a big, fluffy bunny to play with.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Hey, God could always end up being a personification of all life. Maybe a soul/spirit energy cycle becomes a massive and powerful spirit entity known as God. Maybe he doesn't care as long as we keep the cycle flowing. We could be nothing more than the cattle of a soul farm.

Though such a God could be insane, so lets leave him alone. :D

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:28 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

Maybe...we're God.
We're just thinking ourselves as mere Humans, along with the entire world around us?
Our power would be great enough to make that real...
{Of course, I mean that one of us could be God, not all of us at the same time. The rest of us would be fakes :D}

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Metalogz said:
Mod material :D

Well I kinda have a god sort of theme in my mod but I'm becoming a bit lazy so it might not be released for quite a while

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Lowell's kinda got the idea of what I see as God. All things, living beings, matter, energy, existence, is collectively God. And that in all the awesome of the Universe and beyond would easily explain God, grated if there were words to describe it.

I dunno, most people want to believe something vastly more linear...

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Deities might be made of an unknown energy type that doesn't interact with matter or several other known energy types.

On another note, just think about how many instances of Ra there would be in the universe. O_O
If Ra existed then we could use the sun's Ra network to travel to any solar system in the universe. I sense a sci-fi storyline here.

Uncy Dave said:
Would there be contact between you and your people?
How do you expect for a God to communicate when it's language most likely predates the spoken word? Hell (no pun intended), it might communicate by using variations in light for all we know. It could even be saying "bloody uneducated beings, schools don't bother to teach the divine language any more" right now.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:06 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I always figured that the only sensible thing to do as a god (or God, if you want) was to create the universe to make it run on its own, so that I don't have to oversee the damn thing.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM
andwhyisit said:
On another note, just think about how many instances of Ra there would be in the universe. O_O
If Ra existed then we could use the sun's Ra network to travel to any solar system in the universe. I sense a sci-fi storyline here.

New Stargate series. I'd watch it.
Also, guys, trying to explain God with science is a bad idea. Because any all-powerful god could warp the laws of science to hide himself, and that's the kind of god Uncy Dave was talking about.

Anyway, I don't think I can have a serious conversation about this. I don't believe in belief. That goes for atheism, too. I'm like an atheist atheist or something. I guess that would technically make me a nihilist, but I try not to think about it too much. This is something I refuse to have a real opinion on.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think that makes you an agnostic, meaning you believe there's not enough evidence to support any standard "belief system".

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM
Yeah, but that's a belief, isn't it? If there's a word for "I don't friggin care about this crap enough to give it serious thought" then that's what I am.

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
If I were God I'd be so epic and badass on some backwater forums somewhere that I would garner a large following and be worshiped as a God and "the man" on said forum.

Oh wait.