Gliding? Hidden Rockets? Just Epic Skill?

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:17 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
So, IIRC, there was a passing mention of how the enraged Mimigas once upon a time descended to the surface. My question is: how did they get there? Seems to me that's a long way to fall... And if they just dropped in*, how many died on impact? Did any actually wreak any havoc beyond being a 500 lb dead weight hitting a building at 9,001 miles a second? Was this played out like a game of lemmings?

*: Orbital Drop Shock Bunnies?

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
SKY DRAGONS., Machine Gun, Booster, Balrog, and critters.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Because they're floofy and awesome, granting them power to defy the laws of reality.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
thecrown said:
SKY DRAGONS., Machine Gun, Booster, Balrog, and critters.

p90259-0-boosterfalling.png

Um I dun think thas gon work.

Sorry. I tried.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:51 AM
Been here way too long...
Okay, you know how in kung-fu and anime movies, when peope are fighting and they go really high up in the air (for shits n giggles), and then one of them is punched/kicked back down into the ground, and the other guy lands on his feet with a whump, even though he fell just as far?
That's how they did it. Cave Story has anime art style, so locigally, if the Enraged Mimigas hit the ground looking extremely bad-ass, they would be unharmed.
That, or the Island wasn't always so far from the ground, for some reason. It might have been floating at a lower altitude when the Mimigas went down (probably onto a mountain). Your guess is as good as mine as to why the Core decided to float higher later.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:02 AM
meep
Captain Fabulous said:
Okay, you know how in kung-fu and anime movies, when peope are fighting and they go really high up in the air (for shits n giggles), and then one of them is punched/kicked back down into the ground, and the other guy lands on his feet with a whump, even though he fell just as far?
That's how they did it. Cave Story has anime art style, so locigally, if the Enraged Mimigas hit the ground looking extremely bad-ass, they would be unharmed.
That.
/thread

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:13 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Fall damage doesn't exist.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM
meep
Because falling damage =/= badass.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Demon Crown seems to make the Doctor float... Misery can also bubble carry people, or teleport huge things like the Core.
I don't know if crazed Mimigas and Sky Dragons would mix... Hard to imagine Igor on the back of one :( [somebody do a pic :mad:]

Anyways, descending to the surface... I think as long as Miakid oversees the assualt; he can simply have them fly down safely; or worse yet have Misery teleport them directly in the midst of the enemy. That there would be a hundred times worse! Not even robot armies can do much about crazy Mimigas teleporting into the middle of them! :p

As for fall damage... I think it must exist cause Quote takes damage when he falls in the beginning! So it exists, but it's selective ...
ex: If you are in a cinematic prepare for massive battle damage!

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:42 PM
graters gonna grate
Hmm...? I don't think Quote actually takes damage from falling at the beginning, he just gets knocked down, but his HP/XP doesn't decrease.

Also, based on the gameplay of CS, I'd say gravity is quite a bit lower in the CS universe, and air resistance is quite a bit higher, and therefore terminal velocity is not all that fast, hence the lack of falling damage.

Or we could just go with Fabulous's theory... :( :p :mad:

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
X-Calibar said:
Quote takes damage when he falls in the beginning!

No he doesn't.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:24 PM
meep
In actual gameplay there seems to be a very low terminal velocity, but remember how fast the clouds are flying by when you jump off the island at the end...

So I'm sticking with CF's theory.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
So, IIRC, there was a passing mention of how the enraged Mimigas once upon a time descended to the surface. My question is: how did they get there? Seems to me that's a long way to fall... And if they just dropped in*, how many died on impact? Did any actually wreak any havoc beyond being a 500 lb dead weight hitting a building at 9,001 miles a second? Was this played out like a game of lemmings?

*: Orbital Drop Shock Bunnies?
Easy answer:
The descending to the surface thing was a rumour. Jenka specifically said "if rumours are to be trusted" when mentioning about the possibility that Mimigas could have descended to the surface.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well pointed out.

Jenka did say there were just rumours but it was good to discuss our theories on it. It may of happened...

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Been here way too long...
andwhyisit said:
Easy answer:
The descending to the surface thing was a rumour. Jenka specifically said "if rumours are to be trusted" when mentioning about the possibility that Mimigas could have descended to the surface.
Alright then, we'll discuss the plausibility of this rumor. That makes this thread even more meaningful.
So, about the bad-assery theory of mine... Bad-ass Drop Shock Mimigas. BDSM.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
As for fall damage... I think it must exist cause Quote takes damage when he falls in the beginning!
He actually doesn't take damage if you look at his health after falling. It is pretty hard to keep your footing when you are landing on top of someone though. I believe this slow falling effect is unique to the island.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:23 AM
Indie game enthusiast
^^; I know Quote doesn't take any damage from the cutscene, but he doesn't take any damage from getting STOMPED into the ground and getting knocked unconcious by Balrog either... [when in battle he loses a lot of health and isn't knocked unconcious.] Cutscenes are unique; it would be ridiculous if "you have Died." During a cutscene...

I think cutscenes are more accurate indicators of information than actual gameplay. *That is if there is conflicting information. Then I would go with the cutscene or dialog data over actual gameplay for closer to "truth". Because, actual gameplay is a more of a general representation of the game, while cutscenes are more meticulously setup.

This is of course seeing Cave Story as a representation of an idea, rather than seeing the actual game as the universe itself...

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just because you fall slower doesn't mean that you won't get hurt, unless of course you are a robot. Though to prove that falling speeds are slower on the island I will have to compare Booster's falling speed with Quote's.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:18 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
X-Calibar said:
Demon Crown seems to make the Doctor float... Misery can also bubble carry people, or teleport huge things like the Core.
I don't know if crazed Mimigas and Sky Dragons would mix... Hard to imagine Igor on the back of one :D [somebody do a pic :D]

Anyways, descending to the surface... I think as long as Miakid oversees the assualt; he can simply have them fly down safely; or worse yet have Misery teleport them directly in the midst of the enemy. That there would be a hundred times worse! Not even robot armies can do much about crazy Mimigas teleporting into the middle of them! :o

As for fall damage... I think it must exist cause Quote takes damage when he falls in the beginning! So it exists, but it's selective ...
ex: If you are in a cinematic prepare for massive battle damage!
Point 1: IIRC, the Mimigas ingested the flowers to fight the crown bearer...
Point 2: TELEFRAG! :D
Captain Fabulous said:
Alright then, we'll discuss the plausibility of this rumor. That makes this thread even more meaningful.
So, about the bad-assery theory of mine... Bad-ass Drop Shock Mimigas. BDSM.

You just won the thread for that, Captain.
(Oddly, I was going to call this thread "Altitude Drop Assault Mimigas?". But BDSM > ADAM)

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:06 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Point 1: IIRW, the Mimigas ingested the flowers to fight the crown bearer...
It was for the robots, not the Crown Bearer... Unfortantely, apparently the Crown seems to be able to control the frenzied mimigas... So it kinda backfired on them.
At least this is said in Cave Story... not sure about mods.

Point 2 ... TELEFRAG@! lol I wonder if that would really work...