Games just dodged a major bullet.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
In Soviet Russia, Bullet dodge yo--*shot*

If this was us 'dodging a bullet', then I weep for the future.
There's just always idiots who have pretty much zero understanding about violence in video games, let alone how to even raise a child, and it's probably not even enough for the high courts to tell them they're stupid to make them realize it.
Evolution at it's best, folks.

Also, do not scroll down to the comments section.
I think I suffered a mild concussion....

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you're going to restrict anything for children, it should be internet usage.
There are too many kids that get away with more or less unrestricted access to... Well, I'm sure you know what is on the intorwebs

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Agggjjjwrwefsdf;lfawradc

Simple solution wouldn't be state/nation-wide restrictions.
It'd be educating the idiots. And I'm not referring to the poor children.
What kind of state has to ban video games, are it's parents that horrid of a people that they can't protect or even understand what their kids get from video games? Not to mention, I cannot imagine how such people got put into high power if they still believe in the broken link between video games and violence. Not only is it false, but the reverse is far more true, those children who do not play video games, specifically mainstream, are much more prone to violence, as they become social outcasts after they're unable to relate to their peers. {Video games promote much social bonding} There are even dozens of 'healing' properties from video games, from stress relief to enhancing brain growth. Anyone from a TF2 player to a Touhou-addict has a much faster mind than a person who, say, simply reads books, and can solve problems quicker because of it.
And yes, they just did only try 'Violent' video games, but how many games do you play that don't have at least a bit of violence in them? Not to mention how dead wrong that is...

I'd love to rant more but I might shut down from reaching my stupidity threshold of the day.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM
Member Title
Omega said:
if they had been able to suceed

I think common sense was the judge for this one.

If parents are wetting themselves because their children are playing M games, then they should take care of it at home, on an individual bases; not caring what the neighbor's kids are playing.

In fact, I think that showing gore in videogames, to some extent, prepares the child for real-world premises. I am not, of course, talking about the glamorization of violence and/or sexual content in games.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM
Been here way too long...
Cave Story said:
I am not, of course, talking about the glamorization of violence and/or sexual content in games.
The average M rated video game contains as much violence, sex, and other 'illicit' materials as a PG-13 movie, so if you're looking for glamorization, go to the theater. I'd also argue that having sexual material as taboo as it is in the US is a real stupid plan that screws up our children. Screw you, puritans.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
enjoy having more kids online yelling into their mic in online games, particularly FPS' because that seems to be the "in" thing right now

if only there were some way to
a) actually educate parents about video games
b) sell games based on maturity or something not age

fuck

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Member Title
Heh heh, Gir's video made me laugh ;p

sexplosive said:
enjoy having more kids online yelling into their mic in online games
At it's current state, that's not possible.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
am i the only one who never played online with annoying kids. because i have yet to hear a single kid cuss at the mic. and all those kid you may encounter cant stack up to this one video that ray talked about. Bassically it was this girl that was yelling all sorts of cuss words while trash talking the opponent and the family members were just sitting back laughing. i cant find the episode that featured it if anyone knows about it please post it here.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Member Title
Omega said:
am i the only one who never played online with annoying kids.

Probably.

It's not kids who are cussing in their mic, it's the non- swearing squakers (my point is we're talking about not only the ones who swear, but the ones who don't)
Here's where to go if you don't know what a squeaker is.