Game Making?

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm really inspired by Cave Story, like many others :) , and wish to create my own game. Does anyone know any good game making programs and pixel art programs? (For beginners, of course.) Any advice/tips would also be very appreciated.

Thanks. :o

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This isn't for game making, this is for rom hacking D:
*moves thread*

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Personally I'd suggest learning to program. Best damned way to make games, and you'll get the best results too. If this is what you intend to do, grab Visual Basic. It's easy to learn and you'll be making simple games in just a few weeks. This (leaning how to program) is the way to go if you're serious about game-making. In time, if you want to work on more serious projects, you should move to C++, C#, a .NET platform, Python, or some similare language.

Barring that, if you want fast results at the cost of less freedom, you can opt for a 'maker program like GameMaker or RPGMaker. The results are always going to be poorer than what you could potentially pull off with a good programming language, but it's still worth looking into. If you're just a hobbyist and have some ideas you want to get out there, this is your ticket to game-making.

I use Tile Studio to do my pixel art. It's a very handy program. :)

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:50 PM
Hoxtilicious
I preffer GLBasic, easy as Game Maker, but a bit more advanced :)
Though it costs money, sadly most good programming languages who are easy, fast and can do alot of things cost money D:

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
... Sorry I can't seem to use Visual Basic... I downloaded it from microsoft.com, I ran it and it doesn't seem to do anything, there are no program files with it.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
C++?

Most port-able programming language ever! :)

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:49 AM
The Bartender
Ryuken said:
... Sorry I can't seem to use Visual Basic... I downloaded it from microsoft.com, I ran it and it doesn't seem to do anything, there are no program files with it.
Something tells me you didn't get the right thing. Can you be a little more descriptive?

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:16 AM
The Bartender
What you downloaded is the VB runtime, not Visual Basic. The runtime is a little thingie Windows needs to run VB programs (but if you have VB installed, it's unecessary.)

Ultimately, you'd end up following links here.