Forums App?

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I've noticed that nobody had ever thought of an app for these very forums. I myself am not capable to make one, but hopefully, someone might be able to. :mrgreen:
Anyways, the said app would be used like a regular forums app (if such an app exists), but with permission, we can get the games submitted by us via email or post said game so it'd be much more easier than just waiting for the game to be downloaded and extracted. If someone DOES plan on making it, then we could post more suggestions to add on or fix any bugs. So whatcha guys think? :D

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM
"Huzzah!"
That would be cool. I'm actually learning how to develop apps right now. What a coincidence.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Or you could just visit the site in a web browser

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:55 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
jj4226 said:
That would be cool. I'm actually learning how to develop apps right now. What a coincidence.
Exactly! :D
Aar said:
It still seems like a good idea nonetheless.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't think anyone is going to bother going through the trouble of developing an app just so the 20 something people who visit this forum can view it in a slightly more convenient way. Also, "much more easier"?

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Aar said:
I wish that could be said for Facebook, Tumblr, Youtube, and Twitter

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
TLincoln said:
I wish that could be said for Facebook, Tumblr, Youtube, and Twitter
So true

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I wouldn't bother. IPB4 will go 100% html with their editor rather than html+bbcode. I, on the other hand, am creating a pure bbcode editor to replace that. Expect stuff to break if an app is created now. Not to mention that IPB4 will be fully responsive anyway, so an app is irrelevant.

Also once you start app development you will see just how complex an undertaking you are attempting. Entire teams have worked on IPB over numerous years. The sheer complexity of it will crush you.

I could create a touch icon for the forums if you really, REALLY want to have the forums on your iWhatever home screen. Or hey, you could create an app that acts as a browser wrapper for the forums when IPB4 comes out, but anything more is going too far.

Also sending notification emails doesn't require an app.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't think an app for a small forum site like this would be worth it. Although, does the forum site reformat to be viewed on a mobile device? cause that would be cool if it doesn't already.

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:54 AM
Professional Whatever
Content fits the screen on my blackberry, don't know about other devices

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I'm using an ipad right now to type this, works fine. But I used my horrible ten year old phone's browser to try to get on and it didn't work.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ipads have bigger screens than most laptops

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:04 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The forums have worked fine on every internet-capable mobile device I've used. Navigating it is no trouble, in my experience - any lag or formatting weirdness could often be attributed to the phone/browser itself. At worst, I won't be able upload images with one browser and have to switch to another, or I'll have to open the notifications in a new window because it won't open right (and again, using another browser often helps!)

While it's possible to make an app to browse forums with (notably Tapatalk, which certain other forums support), I don't think it's too necessary here. The forums are fine without the need for an app, at least in my experience. :3

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I use a mobile device (iPod touch) to browse the forums most of the time. The desktop version works great, although it crashes my browser when a thread has too many videos or large images embedded on it. Also this might be an issue with the site in general but long URLs don't wrap, causing the screen to stretch really wide and off the white background.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM
"..."
That's probably just a problem with your computer, as I have never had that happen.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Maybe if it goes on the app store, it could promote Pixel's other works. :p

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:22 AM
"..."
Do you know how expensive it it to put something on the store!?!?! It's a good idea, but very impractical. Maybe android store would be better, as it is a lot cheaper.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Professional Whatever
k first make sure that the app is actually useful in any way
which it isn't

second why would you spend time and effort and maybe money? idk how appdev works but it's dumb for no reward

and no pixel is not going to benefit from a cstsf app