Forum Redesign

May 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'll have to agree with Lace on this one. The organization of the mod forums definitely leaves a bit to be desired as there are many things that don't really belong in either the main forum or the hacking/modding subforum (like the edited graphics for instance).

May 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
look, i'm not trying to be a "smug fucking douchebag", but edited graphics are a modification, and not a discussion of the modding or hacking of cave story.
please stop being conservative and actually register what I'm saying.
it might make sense to you.

May 21, 2009 at 1:53 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Also, the purpose of the modding/hacking subforum is to help people solve problems encountered while modding/hacking, as well as to discuss the finer points of assembly hacking and what can be done with it. While an edited spritesheet is technically something that falls under the category of modding/hacking, and it technically not a mod, it doesn't fit with the purposes of the modding/hacking subforum that I mentioned above. In my opinion, there should be a second subforum for "miscellaneous" modding/hacking discussion (for example the edited spritesheets we've been discussing, or the "Favorite mods" thread that I created a while ago).

May 22, 2009 at 1:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mod Showcase is where you show off a mod you've made or are making. Hacking/Modding is for everything else modding related.

Maybe it should be named "Mod Development" instead of "Hacking/Modding".

May 22, 2009 at 5:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
andwhyisit said:
Maybe it should be named "Mod Development" instead of "Hacking/Modding".
I think Hacking/Modding Workshop sounds better because things like hacking discoveries still go in there as opposed to just help questions.

Anyway, does switching out MyChar.pbm or putting in Dave everywhere count as a modification of Cave Story? Technically, yes. But by the same token, it could be offered as a spritesheet in the hacking section, where people can use it if they want to. The latter sounds more appropriate to me, but I'm not really that worried either way. Although it WOULD save me some time writing the Quickie Guide... maybe I won't put in a full entry for little edits.

May 22, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Graphic modifications...

Graphic mods are on the fuzzy bit of the line...
Really heavy ones {Anyone remember that "Total War" one for SC? :) Chrono Trigger vs Mario vs Megaman vs....er....} might count as mods, but graphics {By themselves}, typically, a mod do not make...
At least, to me >.>;

And I really think MyChar.PBMs shouldn't be in the Mod Showcase area...
...Hell. Lowell, Khan, and GSp were all made with MyChar.PBM as a basis.

Making a graphics change is easy, but unless you changed all of the sprite sheets, it's really not a mod...

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:38 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Perhaps if somebody started a very noticeable (perhaps even sticky?) topic called Showcase your Mychar.pbm edits, and then everybody could post their images there?

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Hoxtilicious
maybe, but people post one liners all the time, and some of them are helpful.

I'm talking about those "one liners" who appeared just 2 years ago.
They were f***ing annoying and out of control. The Forum was a whole chaos, it was even more bad than today.
I know that one liners can be helpful, but if they aren't they will be deleted.

Look at the above posts. I think cheese has a good suggestion, and only some colors are hard to read in all skins.

But everyone has a different taste when it comes to colors. Also everyone has a different monitor with different settings. If we have a color chaos here, it's very likely that the users will flee because their eyes burn and they just got eye cancer.

5. Arguments, debates are accepted depending upon their nature. well, this isn't really a rule, is it?

This rule just says: "Flamewars are accepted depending upon their nature".
Technicially it's a rule, because people think that flaming is always forbidden.

6. No trolling (directly attacking a person). tell that to kage.

Kage isn't only trolling. Plus you shouldn't take him too seriously.

Use of text over size 4 is not allowed unless the enlarged text is kept under 10 words. no. even admins violate this

Aslong as it doesn't go out of hand.
If you do it in every post or something, you will get a warning for example.
If someone does it one time out of 200 or something, then he will not get a warning.

Posting in the incorrect section is not allowed. the boundary between hacking and mods seems a bit messed up to me. why do different graphics (mychar especially) belong in hacking?

I have no idea. I'm against this too.
I personally think there are differences between modding and hacking.
A modification isn't the same as a hack.
But users tend to disagree, they would kill me if I delete their mod threads.

Double posting is not allowed. again, nobody follows this. double posting should be allowed if it is a useful post or nobody has posted in the thread for a few days. (most notably information on hacking)

Yeah everyone knows this. As I said ago, if someone doesn't overdo it and it doesn't get out of hand and if it's helpful, then it's not violating the rules.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm reading your signature and I'd really prefer it if you didn't show so much hateful attitude toward administrator decisions. We are spending a lot of time to make these forums have all kinds of new features and improving the look and feel of the entire place.
If you have a problem with MetaSeraphim, straighten it out with her via private message. This forum is for contributing ideas for how to improve the forums, not flaming users.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:36 PM
who are you talking to?
I'd assume me, but I ended my angry moment like, 5 months ago, and my siggy only says cow now, so no, that wouldn't make sense. specially since you apparently posted this two or three days ago...

also, what have you done sp? this thread is a mish-mash of at least two different threads, with people quoting stuff that doesn't exist for some reason anymore.