Five Nights at Freddy's

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:58 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
Apparently this one's legitimately scary and lets you MOVE, but the gameplay just sounds too boring for me to care.
Yup animated gifs are really scary. Remember when 3 was the final game? I bet 5 will be out by Halloween. This is worse than CoD now. At least CoD takes 3 years to develop, "only" comes out once a year, and has lots more content than FNAF.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
funwillfunwill said:
Remember when 3 was the final game?
Scott never made any implications that FNAF3 was the final game. He indirectly teased FNAF4 in this statement he made back in January.

p187744-0-d2ufx1b.png

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:51 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Remember when he said the game would come out on Halloween? That statement didn't even last for six months.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:11 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What if he was secretly developing the series all at once, and realeased them over the course of the year in order too keep the hype train. I don't think he is able to do all that in the small amount of time frame by himself. Well played if my theory is true, Calthorn. Well played.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
zxin said:
The gameplay has created a new sub-genre: Jump-scare Horror games! Which rely purely on jump-scares to scare the player
I feel like you have not played the games
The second game, maybe, but that's because it was a clickfest.
In the first game, the real fright was in the atmosphere. The jumpscares were the worst executed part of the game. The game played on uncanny valley and a sense of helplessness. I don't like this series, but don't you try to tell me that the first game, at least, had no atmosphere.

also the jumpscare thing was mostly popularized by slender don't gimme that bullshit and say that it was fnaf

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
zxin said:
The gameplay has created a new sub-genre: Jump-scare Horror games! Which rely purely on jump-scares to scare the player, what happened to creepy atmosphere and, for that matter, subtlety?
I think you're forgetting games like Slender which came out 2012, and there are definitely jumpscare games before that.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:45 PM
Professional Whatever
Why has this series not died yet

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Doors said:
Why has this series not died yet

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's a mix of hype, lazyness, and marketability. Basically the only reasons that people buy, wear, and, most shockingly, use Beats by Dre products.
FNaF, when it was first released, had a lot of hype over it, which is understandable. I think that, for the time, there was no game that was like it. It was a fresh and extremely creepy take on the horror genre.

Then the lazyness hit. Not necessarily with Cawthon, but with the genre as a whole (or at least an oversized proportion of it). FNaF clones, most of the time, just took the game, removed the FNaF characters (usually the maps too), and replaced them with characters from other popular franchises, such as Spongebob, Minecraft, or Teletubbies.

Marketability is the main reason why the FNaF series hasn't died, and it's easy to see why. FNaF is an extremely well known series of games that had a reputation for being original and scary because of it (there's no way it can still have that reputation). Everyone's heard of it, many people have played, nobody wants more of it, but they'll buy it anyway because hype and marketing.

In short, FNaF was a great series of games that became worse as more of them were released (which is a far more common theme than you would think). It's like the Terminator series, in that it should have probably stopped after the second one, but it didn't because of hype and marketability. Let's face it, hype and marketability are the main reasons why there are so many crap products that are successful.

FNaF = Hype + Marketable = Success

CoD = Hype + Marketable + Lazyness = Success

Crappy music = Marketable = Success

Lots of mods from this site = Lazyness = Not a success (Apparently, most of us don't fall for it)

Beats by Dre = Hype + Marketable + Lazyness + Good for crappy music = Success

Music streaming services* = Marketable = Success

McDonalds = Marketable + Large quantitiies of sodium and/or sugar = Success

iPhones = Hype + Marketable = Success

My voice = Hype + Marketable + Sexyness = Success

* = That you have to pay a monthly subscription for

As we can see from these examples here, this problem runs rampant these days, and it clearly needs to be stopped... except for my voice, because I don't really know how that would work.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM
beep boop
Because of Markiplier and MatPat.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:42 PM
War criminal
zxin said:
The gameplay has created a new sub-genre: Jump-scare Horror games!
You obviously have never played Scary Maze before! Only '06 kids remember!

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:17 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
Pummelator said:
If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's a mix of hype, lazyness, and marketability. Basically the only reasons that people buy, wear, and, most shockingly, use Beats by Dre products.
FNaF, when it was first released, had a lot of hype over it, which is understandable. I think that, for the time, there was no game that was like it. It was a fresh and extremely creepy take on the horror genre.

Then the lazyness hit. Not necessarily with Cawthon, but with the genre as a whole (or at least an oversized proportion of it). FNaF clones, most of the time, just took the game, removed the FNaF characters (usually the maps too), and replaced them with characters from other popular franchises, such as Spongebob, Minecraft, or Teletubbies.

Marketability is the main reason why the FNaF series hasn't died, and it's easy to see why. FNaF is an extremely well known series of games that had a reputation for being original and scary because of it (there's no way it can still have that reputation). Everyone's heard of it, many people have played, nobody wants more of it, but they'll buy it anyway because hype and marketing.

In short, FNaF was a great series of games that became worse as more of them were released (which is a far more common theme than you would think). It's like the Terminator series, in that it should have probably stopped after the second one, but it didn't because of hype and marketability. Let's face it, hype and marketability are the main reasons why there are so many crap products that are successful.

FNaF = Hype + Marketable = Success

CoD = Hype + Marketable + Lazyness = Success

Crappy music = Marketable = Success

Lots of mods from this site = Lazyness = Not a success (Apparently, most of us don't fall for it)

Beats by Dre = Hype + Marketable + Lazyness + Good for crappy music = Success

Music streaming services* = Marketable = Success

McDonalds = Marketable + Large quantitiies of sodium and/or sugar = Success

iPhones = Hype + Marketable = Success

My voice = Hype + Marketable + Sexyness = Success

* = That you have to pay a monthly subscription for

As we can see from these examples here, this problem runs rampant these days, and it clearly needs to be stopped... except for my voice, because I don't really know how that would work.
Except 4 is supposedly the most legitimately scary.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
Except 4 is supposedly the most legitimately scary.
Is it scarier than FNaF?

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM
zxin said:
Yeah but in slender you walked around and avoided Slender, here it's race your mouse to the door unless you have no power
That's the equivalent of saying "In ROCKY, you can move around the boxing ring, dodge and attack, but in punchout all you do is stay in one place and dodge"
Do you see what's wrong with that statement? If you thought "Maybe cuz punch out isn't really a boxing game" than you're on the track. If not, let me explain something. When you take a game like punch out, and compare it to a game like ROCKY, it doesn't work out. Why? Punchout is a game with a boxing theme. It could if literally been anything.

This applies to some of the FNaF games. You can theme it in anyway you can. It could of been protecting the White House from tanks and it would probably have worked.

Also you left out the main gameplay mechanic, checking the camera. :/

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
zxin said:
Yeah but in slender you walked around and avoided Slender, here it's race your mouse to the door unless you have no power.
That's why FNaF is so boring, all you have to do is being lazy and just move and click your mouse.
The atmosphere in the series was only a bit scary in the first version, the others are not really to that point.
The newer games include messed up mechanics like having to use a random light to make the animatronics go away, which makes no sense.
As I said earlier in this post: There is just almost no gameplay aside from watching several dangers from a single room your stuck in and using several things to stop them. The only action I've seen is in the first game related to Foxy.
FNaF is overrated these days, like Disney's Frozen. Possible due to major Youtube gamers(And I'm not giving examples of those).

These and some more are the reasons why I hate the FNaF series.

Also, the series is getting worser and worser, there might be a slight possibility that the creator wants it to die out slowly too.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:44 PM
War criminal
Miccs said:
There is just almost no gameplay aside from watching several dangers from a single room your stuck in and using several things to stop them.
I find it funny that you didn't mention the mini games from the later 3 games, which definitely adds more gameplay to them. Or is the gameplay you're referring to something only very few games have?

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
TLincoln said:
I find it funny that you didn't mention the mini games from the later 3 games, which definitely adds more gameplay to them. Or is the gameplay you're referring to something only very few games have?
Didn't those just include walking to a area to see something happen before playing the next night?
I actually was also referring to the normal gameplay, I totally forgot about the minigames.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:37 PM
War criminal
In the death minigames in FNAF 2 and the hidden minigames in FNAF 3, they play differently than the ones that are between nights in FNAF 3 and 4.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention the "Fun With Plushtrap" minigame, which isn't styled the same as the other minigames. I guess I forgot about it because you don't really feel accomplished with it if you win the round and you lose the 2 hour jumpstart soon after.