Favorite Weapon

What is your favorite gun/weapon in Cave Story?

• Total voters
Sep 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You obviously haven't played the game right
You do know that you can get Booster, right? You know from Professor Booster?

Son I've played this game more times than you've blinked in your life. You better read my post again, I said it's the only GUN that gives you the ability to fly.

Or are you implying the Booster is a gun?

diph.php

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:40 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm not trying to insult your mother or anything, I was using sarcasm to illustrate my point that the Machine Gun becomes pretty much obsolete when you get the Booster 2.0.
Why would you waste gun space with a weapon that's main purpose is for flying when you can do sufficient flight with the Booster?

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, for me, I really prefer the Spur. Each gun has its own pro's and con's.
Machine Gun:
Pros:
  • Has rapid fire capabilities (Good for getting damage on a moving enemy)
  • Can float in air at level 3 (Main reason why you'd choose the Machine Gun)
Cons:
  • Has a limit on the ammo (Can recharge, but if you need to keep firing, you have to stop at some point)
  • Easy to down-level (And possibly ruin your flying time)
  • Damage out-put isn't as great as Spur/Snake
Snake:
Pros:
  • Can shoot through walls (Main reason why you'd choose the Snake)
  • Good range at level 3 (I think it's the same amount of range as a level 2,3 or max spur. It also moves up and down a bit in a wave, hitting some enemies that a straight shot wouldn't hit)
Cons:
  • Only can have 4 shots onscreen (Not really a problem if you make sure all the shots hit)
  • Can't break blocks that are breakable (A HUGE pain, especially before the second deleet door in Sanctuary B3)
Spur:
Pros:
  • Doesn't require exp to level (No grinding for exp crystals now)
  • Can fire a beam that can/will decimate most enemies and most bosses (The beam as a high damage output already, and if the enemy's hit box is huge, it will hit most/all of that enemy's hit box and kill it fast.)
Cons:
  • Has you to charge to get to the best beam (Not really a con, but it could be considered one)
  • Can't charge beam and go through transition (Unless it's a falling through a loading point one)
Yea, each one has their own pros and cons, but overall, I think Spur's the way to go. (I feel like i'm missing a con for the spur)

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Sep 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The machine gun's boosting ability and high DPS make is a good weapon for newer players, though the spur has potentially higher damage.

Misery Kill time Weapon
0:46 Spur
1:02 MG
1:55 Snake

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:25 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Both the Spur and Snake are upgraded guns, while the machine gun is the manufacture standard model.
So, I think it's pretty impressive how good the machine gun is... just imagine if you could upgrade or combine the machine gun...!
(Of course there's the possiblity it is already an upgraded gun but let's not go there...)

Also, it's Curly Brace's personal Machine Gun. :3 That makes it a collector's item.

And yeah, lvl 3 = flying. You can even double speed fly up using a booster + machinegun + holding jump button, or fall down at a faster rate.
You could even do Hell without a booster........... if not for the Black Wind ><

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:33 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The machine gun's boosting ability and high DPS make is a good weapon for newer players, though the spur has potentially higher damage.

Misery Kill time Weapon
0:46 Spur
1:02 MG
1:55 Snake

You must suck at using the Snake or something, since it has a much higher DPS than the machine gun. Also the Misery fight is one of the best fights for the spur since she has periods of invincibility, which is perfect for using the spur's charge shot. Snake probably has a higher DPS than both in most situations.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
You must suck at using the Snake or something, since it has a much higher DPS than the machine gun. Also the Misery fight is one of the best fights for the spur since she has periods of invincibility, which is perfect for using the spur's charge shot. Snake probably has a higher DPS than both in most situations.
Ya I don't get much practice with the snake, and the "slithering" motion makes it hard to aim around small bosses like misery
(I died once when testing the snake)

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:29 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I would say the spur but the machine gun can make you fly but that's why you get the booster v2.0

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:32 AM
Professional Whatever
I would post a link to what post you just restated but that would mean I would be linking like this entire thread
I mean come on how did you not see us talking about that

Aaaaaand ninja'd

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Lvl.2 Blade is The Best.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
In terms of killing bosses, probably the spur because of its insane damage. Then again I just jump on the boss and spam the badass blade lvl 2.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
It's simple.
Machine gun if you want to finish the game the fastest -- Early hovering.
Snake if you want to finish hell the fatest -- Shoots thorugh walls.
Spur if you want LAAAAZ0RRRRRRR.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
actually, the DPS of the Spur isn't even close to the Snake or Machine Gun, since it's so intermittent. This is a blessing and a curse for it, since it's really good for enemies who give you a brief opening to do damage, like Ballos' second form. Unfortunately the epitome of waiting to attack (Monster X) is way before the Spur, so it's impact on the game is diminished.

Just do yourself a favor and get used to the Snake, it's better for everyone.
Spur's more fun though.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
If I Choose 3 Of Them I Would Choose Snake Dont Underestimate It.