Favorite retro games.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:47 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
WoodenRat said:
Call Of Duty 4

lolwut

-I like Mario games of all kinds. Super Mario World, SMB2 and 3, Super Mario 64, and Mario Tennis.
-Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble
-Tetris
-Old pokeman gaymz
-Doom
-Wolfenstein

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Oh man, I've only played Vectorman 2, but that game was really awesome. :J

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
Someone raised a fair point about S3 and K. The game was almost TOO good. Because SEGA havent managed to deliver the same kind of over the top adrenaline fueled awesomeness like that game was packed with. For example:

Flying battery Zone: Was stuffed full of explosions, fire, great music and had sections on the interior and exterior of the ship. Not to mention the last part where the ship folds in on itself as a last attempt at killing you, then Robotnik tried to finish you off! It was insane.

The lava reef trap sequence:
You fall off a platform when knuckles rolls a boulder at you. BEfore you can even think, youve landed in an area where lava and crumbling platforms make up most of the environment and you can see Eggmans robot firing MISSILES which proceed to bombard you as you navigate along an autoscrolling segment with bottomless pits and crumbling platforms... Which leads to the lava fall platforming bit, and a boss where you have to jump from platform to platform as the lava shifts and the boss launches bombs at you. Intense!

The Final battle: Two of the biggest 16 bit era bosses in existance, back to back, with crushing fingers, flamethrower and giant laser cannon. Even after that you have to keep running as the base crumbles behind you, hitting Robotnik when you can. And then you jump, become super sonic and face off against the final boss, in SPACE. Dang, 4 pretty awesome bosses back to back.

When any sane individual played this game they were blown away, completely. SEGA is finding it difficult to get the same level of insanity, action and fun into its games, and you can see why. But i'm not cutting them slack, because they still charge the same for their games!

Anyway, more on topic...

I forgot to mention the FPS series Descent. I had the demo as a kid on my grandfathers old and feeble computer. But because of how the game is made, i could play the demo quite fluidly. It brings back memories playign this game now.

For anyone who doesnt know what Descent is all about, i recommend downloading the demo, or watching a youtube video. It isnt at all a normal FPS game.

You control a spaceship in a FULLY 3D world. As in, any movement in 3D space is possible. You can rotate and slide along ANY of the 3 axis. This means of course, you need so be able to use 6 axis control with ease. But when you set it up, its so sweet. The levels are made with the freedom of 3D movement in mind. You can find doors on any surface, walls become ceilings... And so on. Just give it a look.

Its worth noting that the trilogy is available on game download sites, cheaply. And its also worth nopting that the first game, is apparently being made into a Wiiware title. 6 axis FPS on wii? Do want. Although they promised it last fall, so i'm not getting my hopes up.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd say my favorite retro game would be Guantlet 2.
It's an old 4-player arcade game, where you play as either a Warrior, Wizard, Elf, or Valkyrie, and you beat the crap out of a gigantic dungeon until everyone dies.
p121662-0-gauntletiiscreen4.jpg

It's coming to the PS network and I am excited.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Oh right, I forgot Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention. Also, Comix Zone and Kid Chameleon, I played those games all the time. Flicky is also worth mentioning.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Mortal Kombat 2 was fun ;) Maybe it`s not retro. Or maybe I`m old.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Miles_Valentine said:
Someone raised a fair point about S3 and K. The game was almost TOO good. Because SEGA havent managed to deliver the same kind of over the top adrenaline fueled awesomeness like that game was packed with. For example:

Flying battery Zone: Was stuffed full of explosions, fire, great music and had sections on the interior and exterior of the ship. Not to mention the last part where the ship folds in on itself as a last attempt at killing you, then Robotnik tried to finish you off! It was insane.

The lava reef trap sequence:
You fall off a platform when knuckles rolls a boulder at you. BEfore you can even think, youve landed in an area where lava and crumbling platforms make up most of the environment and you can see Eggmans robot firing MISSILES which proceed to bombard you as you navigate along an autoscrolling segment with bottomless pits and crumbling platforms... Which leads to the lava fall platforming bit, and a boss where you have to jump from platform to platform as the lava shifts and the boss launches bombs at you. Intense!

The Final battle: Two of the biggest 16 bit era bosses in existance, back to back, with crushing fingers, flamethrower and giant laser cannon. Even after that you have to keep running as the base crumbles behind you, hitting Robotnik when you can. And then you jump, become super sonic and face off against the final boss, in SPACE. Dang, 4 pretty awesome bosses back to back.

When any sane individual played this game they were blown away, completely. SEGA is finding it difficult to get the same level of insanity, action and fun into its games, and you can see why. But i'm not cutting them slack, because they still charge the same for their games!

Anyway, more on topic...

I forgot to mention the FPS series Descent. I had the demo as a kid on my grandfathers old and feeble computer. But because of how the game is made, i could play the demo quite fluidly. It brings back memories playign this game now.

For anyone who doesnt know what Descent is all about, i recommend downloading the demo, or watching a youtube video. It isnt at all a normal FPS game.

You control a spaceship in a FULLY 3D world. As in, any movement in 3D space is possible. You can rotate and slide along ANY of the 3 axis. This means of course, you need so be able to use 6 axis control with ease. But when you set it up, its so sweet. The levels are made with the freedom of 3D movement in mind. You can find doors on any surface, walls become ceilings... And so on. Just give it a look.

Its worth noting that the trilogy is available on game download sites, cheaply. And its also worth nopting that the first game, is apparently being made into a Wiiware title. 6 axis FPS on wii? Do want. Although they promised it last fall, so i'm not getting my hopes up.

I completely agree with you about sonic 3 and knuckles.

trickybilly said:
Mortal Kombat 2 was fun ;) Maybe it`s not retro. Or maybe I`m old.

Yep its retro.Believe it or not my grandma was able to salvage an snes with mortal kombat 2 and super mario world (wich i just cant seem to like it)infact mental note:get snes next time you visit grandma.

edit:Im proud to know my second thread is a pretty hot thread.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Mario Kart 64
Sonic 2
Super Mario Brothers:The Lost Levels.
Dig-Dug
Epic Games From The Past Years. :3

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM
super street fighter 2 turbo

pac-attack (i have pac-man world 2 so far im missing pac-mania and ms.pacman)

edit:just unlocked Pac-mania.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:50 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pac Man 2 and Sonic 3 are my favorites to play, I never get bored. Wish I could play them now.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Final Fantasy 7

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
SPACE INVADERS.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Lincoln logs.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:13 AM
I only use natural Lincoln exponents.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:20 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
cultr1 said:
I only use natural Lincoln exponents.

I prefer the common Lincoln exponents.

Really though, they're so much easier to use.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:21 AM
Landonpeanut said:
I prefer the common Lincoln exponents.

Really though, they're so much easier to use.

Maybe for those who work in the realm of APPLICABLE MATH.

You disgust me.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Rocket Knight Adventures.
still love it to this day
and god is it hard as well.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
How many people here said Super Mario Bros? :toroko2: