favorite part of the game

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I like the water way the most, it seems very fun to float around
In my game i think im going to make a HUGE waterway with lots of different choices of flowing places to pick it'll be blasts of fun
what is your favorite part?

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:26 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
From a gameplay standpoint, Monster X was probably the most exciting part for me the first time I played Cave Story, as well as fighting alongside Curly. From an emotional standpoint, the moment where I realized Curly had sacrificed herself to save me was probably the part that really stuck out to me the most. From a cinematic standpoint, the cutscene right before fighting the Undead Core was really memorable. Between the moment of seeing that Sue is still alive, to seeing Misery vulnerable for the first time, and getting overpowered by the Doctor, it gave me chills. I also greatly enjoyed the nail-biting suspense of running and jumping off the edge of the island and seeing the normal ending transpire.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 9:49 PM
"Huzzah!"
Grasstown / Bushland always stuck out in my mind as the most fun of the zones, I liked the mixture of enemies and the way that the fans were put to use. It's fun flying around the level to places you couldn't previously reach beforehand. It's also the only place where you can get the jellyfish juice, which is needed both in level and for unlocking a secret weapon. All in all the elements just fit perfectly together, including the music!

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM
War criminal
Curly Brace. That is all.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:37 AM
From a gameplay standpoint, Monster X was probably the most exciting part for me the first time I played Cave Story, as well as fighting alongside Curly. From an emotional standpoint, the moment where I realized Curly had sacrificed herself to save me was probably the part really stuck out to me the most. From a cinematic standpoint, the cutscene right before fighting the Undead Core was really memorable. Between the moment of seeing that Sue is still alive, to seeing Misery vulnerable for the first time, and getting overpowered by the Doctor, it gave me chills. I also greatly enjoyed the nail-biting suspense of running and jumping off the edge of the island and seeing the normal ending transpire.
i was so young when i first played i didnt get that curly died for you
i just thought you had to save her somehow because i dont know

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That glorious moment (from a gameplay perspective mind you) when you get both the Lv3 Machine Gun and the Booster 2.0 at the same time. Infinite upwards lift + constant and fast horizontal momentum = HELL YEAH!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 5:52 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
For a long time, my favorite part of the game has been the middle section. Losing Toroko was a wake up call when I first played it. Then after I lost Curly, I said nope, and started the game over to save her.

Switching from happy-go-lucky puppy fetch quests albeit with a dark undertone, to being trapped in that labyrinth room while you reflect on your failure... Feels bad.
But, then you are reunited with your new robot friend... and throw in some of the most interesting battles of the game and a chance for redemption. It's a roller coaster.

Though if I want a challenge these days, I need to start at Last Cave and Hell...

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That feeling in your first playthrough when you reach the empty Mimiga Village and everyone is gone...

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:40 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
Booster giving the player the 2.0 was the hardest thing for me, I remember being horrified about how he basically gives up and passes his last saving grace onto you. I remember in the normal ending, getting the 0.8 and feeling determined to avenge him like with King how he gives you his blade. But it's true horror to see a man literally give up in front of your eyes, and later on when you talk to Kazuma, a man who seemed pretty chilled; turns into this mess who gives up to, knowing he has a dragon to escape. He even invites you to join him, abandoning his family and friends for his own survival which sickened me when I first saw it. I think, that's a true character and a true conflict between somebody who would rather save his life than risk it to save others.
Misery becomes vulnerable and desperate to keep her image as a threatening figure and to see it fall apart after the Doctor returns as the red energy is chilling. It all boils up in the final battle between you, your friend, a desperate enemy, and an insane psycho who disregards anything around him, only wishing for his plan to succeed. I like Ballos' fight, but it's more frustrating than energized; The Undead Core battle is something of a spectacle, you fight two creatures and along that, a monster who's insane.

Pixel knows how to make his villains climatic and amazing. In Kero Blaster, he depicts a world where his characters are over-worked and are struggling to survive, as seen in in the Overtime story-line and most importantly with the President. I see Guxt as a spiritual successor to Cave Story in terms of theme, I see the story unfolding as a lone ship taking down watchers, and the ship's struggle to battle an army alone. It's final boss is something only Pixel could do; with the final boss' eye being orange, contrasting the game's blue/white aesthetic and having it attack the player only to then reveal a face similar to the Doctor's (probably a coincidence) with a smirk as you battle it to the death. Cave Story follows a mad scientist and his conquest that leads up to this epic final battle, saying "YOU WILL NOT LEAVE THIS PLACE ALIVE", being extremely threatening and imposing of his supernatural status. I see his lines leaving a greater impact on me than Flowey's "It's kill or be killed.", to me, it comes off as edgy and while I understand it works to Flowey's nature, the Doctor is merely a psycho, doing whatever he pleasure and taking joy out of the suffering of others with a imposing demeanor; appearing at the right times to leave an impact when absolutely needed to drive the plot in a good way.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:06 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
From a gameplay standpoint, the linear sections like Last Cave and Hell. From an emotional standpoint, probably after waterway in a normal ending. Just seeing the empty mimiga village with no hope, then going to see Arthur’s house, with the message to go to egg corridor. For me, the combination of Empty mimiga village and Arthur’s house, to the blown up egg corridor was really emotional for me.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:17 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Can I have a much much longer Outer Wall thanks.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:09 PM
That feeling in your first playthrough when you reach the empty Mimiga Village and everyone is gone...
oh yeah that was fun exploring every place to see which ones didnt have the "dooo doo da" music

now i just know where to go
its arthurs house (or the first cave or the cemetery)

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:13 PM
War criminal
Everyone here knows Cave Story in and out, spoilers aren't that necessary. :cool:

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:27 PM
Everyone here knows Cave Story in and out, spoilers aren't that necessary. :cool:
does everyone know about the
secret ballos ending

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:56 PM
War criminal
Nov 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Nov 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM
Nov 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
does everyone know about the
secret ballos ending
No
My favorite part gameplay wise would be the hidden final cave with the segments using the booster.