Favorite and Least Favorite Boss Battles?

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My favorite Boss Battle is the Balrog Frog. I call him Balfrog :)
My least favorite is Misery.

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:41 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Favorite- Ballos.
Least favorite- Ma Pigon

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:14 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Favorite: Red Demon
Least favorite: Grasstown Ravil

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Favorite is the final doctor battle w/ Sue and Misery
Least favorite is frog version of Balrog

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:46 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
i like the iron head fishy guy

i dont like the dragon sister things

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:54 PM
Based Member
My least favorites would have to be Pooh Black and Inronhead, and my favorites are Misery and the Undead core fight.

Pooh Black is weird because he re-assimilates in weird and unpredictable ways that seem to make it counter-intuitive as to how you keep from getting hurt. Ironhead is a bit awkward because it's also harder to sense much of a pattern in his movements and the area where you fight him is so busy and confusing that it's a bit harder to form a consistent strategy.

The fight with Misery is satisfying because you've been looking forward to fighting her almost the entire game, and her fight pattern is intuitive with a sufficiently challenging learning curve the first time around. The Undead Core fight was built up to in a really epic way, and the fight itself is chaotic but in a way that doesn't feel overly frustrating or excessively crowded.

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM
My least favorites would have to be Pooh Black and Inronhead, and my favorites are Misery and the Undead core fight.

Pooh Black is weird because he re-assimilates in weird and unpredictable ways that seem to make it counter-intuitive as to how you keep from getting hurt. Ironhead is a bit awkward because it's also harder to sense much of a pattern in his movements and the area where you fight him is so busy and confusing that it's a bit harder to form a consistent strategy.

The fight with Misery is satisfying because you've been looking forward to fighting her almost the entire game, and her fight pattern is intuitive with a sufficiently challenging learning curve the first time around. The Undead Core fight was built up to in a really epic way, and the fight itself is chaotic but in a way that doesn't feel overly frustrating or excessively crowded.
oh yeah i dont like the pooh black guy because whenever he jumps back down i always get hit

i like beating him though

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:04 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Well said. Pooh Black is one that I don't usually mind fighting, but in cases like a Hard Mode run or a mod where you have little health/a gun that does little damage, it becomes a tedious test of patience and luck. In regards to Misery and the Undead Core, I've kind of started to have a vendetta towards it because how they're grouped together without a save in-between which makes Hard Mode extremely difficult, but individually they are both very sound fights. However, to me it feels like you should be able to defeat both Misery and Sue in the Undead Core fight without having to suffer consequences for it in the form of added fish missiles when they die. Like, if you go out of your way to deal with the extra chaotic threats in the fight to make dealing with the main threat easier, why arbitrarily summon fish missiles just to keep the fight challenging? From that sense, I think I prefer the first Core fight.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:52 PM
Based Member
However, to me it feels like you should be able to defeat both Misery and Sue in the Undead Core fight without having to suffer consequences for it in the form of added fish missiles when they die. Like, if you go out of your way to deal with the extra chaotic threats in the fight to make dealing with the main threat easier, why arbitrarily summon fish missiles just to keep the fight challenging? From that sense, I think I prefer the first Core fight.
That's an understandable gripe. I haven't played very far into hard mode so I'm not familiar with many of the main challenges you would face. That issue with the boss fight didn't bother me very much, but I can see how that would be irritating in a hard mode run. My main bias for the Undead Core fight comes from the impression it left on me the first time due to being preceded by a really intense cutscene of suddenly realizing Sue's still alive, having Misery be taken over by the Doctor, and seeing the core be brought back to life.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The original Core fight is one of the worst for me. I mean with the Lv3 Machine Gun or Booster 0.8 it is pretty good, but without any means of propulsion the only way to effectively dodge the light orbs is to drop to ground level while the wind blows, and then use the steps to get above the orbs, but then you run the risk of drowning.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:11 AM
The original Core fight is one of the worst for me. I mean with the Lv3 Machine Gun or Booster 0.8 it is pretty good, but without any means of propulsion the only way to effectively dodge the light orbs is to drop to ground level while the wind blows, and then use the steps to get above the orbs, but then you run the risk of drowning.

yeah i think the core is harder than the undead core
at least at the time anyways

its things do more damage and you can drown and it pushes you back and more its really pretty toughy wuffy

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:10 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

Pooh Black is weird because he re-assimilates in weird and unpredictable ways that seem to make it counter-intuitive as to how you keep from getting hurt. Ironhead is a bit awkward because it's also harder to sense much of a pattern in his movements and the area where you fight him is so busy and confusing that it's a bit harder to form a consistent strategy.\
Yeah, I never look forward to him during boss rush.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were talking about Ma Pigon. I like Pooh Black. All you need to do is use the blade, he's not that annoying.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:04 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
oh yeah i dont like the pooh black guy because whenever he jumps back down i always get hit

i like beating him though
Pooh Black will jump down wherever you were at a specific point of time. Stand at one end of the room, wait for the bubbles to indicate he is coming, wait a bit, then start moving to the other end of the room. Its all about timing. You don't want to lose momentum changing directions when he comes down.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM
Professional Whatever
senator armstrong

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:36 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Isn't Pooh Black a pacifist ghost? Doesn't start the fight, but locks the door when you take the Cure-All.

"Where did you go... Doctor Gero..."

Also I love that you can catch a ride on Balrog during the second encounter. Fun discovering little things like that.

That said, favorite boss fight is probably... the Core. It seemed so large in scope, only Ballos rivaled it. It was just a really epic sci-fi horror moment for me. Hectic but fun.

Least favorite... uh. Maybe Balfrog? I can picture Quote covered in frogs after the battle...
Take the ending credit puppy picture and switch it with frogs. And instead of Jenka smiling in the background Misery is holding back a laugh.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hm.
Um.
Uh.
OK.

Favorites: EVERY STINKIN' BOSS IN THE GAME.
Least: Okay, okay... Ballos stinks.

BUT I STILL LOVE FIGHTING HIM.

Hee hee

yeah i think the core is harder than the undead core
at least at the time anyways

its things do more damage and you can drown and it pushes you back and more its really pretty toughy wuffy

Really??
The first Core fight is always a cinch to beat to me.
Well, the second one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My favorite boss is ballos, it's so hectic and chaotic on the 4th phase.
My least favorite is the core, the white orbs do too much damage and you can drown.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:02 PM
My favorite boss is ballos, it's so hectic and chaotic on the 4th phase.
My least favorite is the core, the white orbs do too much damage and you can drown.
and the wind is really hard sometimes

sometimes i wonder if the undead core would be harder to fight if you had the same weapons and items at the regular core
because the orbs arent seeking they only do 10 damage and theres no water wind pushing you

maybe if there was no misery or sue it would be easier
or maybe its considered harder since you need to fight 3 bosses before that which will hurt your health

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:28 PM
War criminal
It'd be doable if you first fought the core with the machine gun/snake and the blade, I don't wanna imagine how sore your fingers would be having to face the three bosses with the Polar Star