Fate of the Entire Universe

May 28, 2015 at 2:52 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I posted this due to some probably inaccurate science going on in my head.

So i've been studying Hawking Radiation, red shift, and expansion of the universe a bit, and have come up with how the universe as we know it will cease to exist. This is based on articles I have read and researching as much as I can in my free time. So, ladies and gentlemen, the stages of death for our universe:

1. Star formation is going to slow. There is a finite amount of matter. Black holes consume small amounts of matter at a time. Eventaully this adds up to a lot of gas that would have formed stars AND stars becoming black holes that would have formed nebulas. With an ever increasing universe, matter and energy will be spread out too.

2. The universe will be only black holes. This is self explanatory. Many think of black holes as just vacuum cleaners, though this is wrong. But still, eventually (trillions of years) they will be able to absorb most matter.

3. Black holes emit Hawking Radiation. They will eventually lose all their mass by emitting Hawking radiation. Then the universe will be an empty space, with nothing in it whatsoever.

Does anyone else have some theories? Corrections? Thanks.

And yeah i know this is a Cave Story forum but just pretend its stackexchange or something for this thread.

May 28, 2015 at 4:28 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't know much about this stuff, so pardon me if this sounds stupid, but after black holes lose all their mass by emitting Hawking radiation, won't there be a bunch of the radiation left in the universe?

May 28, 2015 at 4:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The material components within this universe will all experience gradual decay. However I believe that the universe will not simply end, but will rather continuously change states, and I believe that this has happened before (the big bang).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model

Of course the ultimate fate of the universe is still somewhat speculative so just run with whatever theory you want and take it with a pound of salt.

May 28, 2015 at 4:46 AM
"..."
IdioticBaka1824 said:
I don't know much about this stuff, so pardon me if this sounds stupid, but after black holes lose all their mass by emitting Hawking radiation, won't there be a bunch of the radiation left in the universe?
Exactly correct. The only thing left in the universe will be Hawking radiation. My theory based completely on guessing is that although expansion is increasing, it will either eventually stop or tear the fabric of the space time continuum because the amount of mass is being spread apart even more.

May 28, 2015 at 5:22 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well, I believe that at some point every single particle will meet it's antiparticle. Everything will be energy. No more mass. The universe will be slim.

May 28, 2015 at 8:28 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
May 28, 2015 at 9:47 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
I'm pretty sure the thing that has been intensely researched that we can see with powerful telescopes exists, yes.

Wikipedia's opening sentence on the Universe page is "The Universe is all of time and space."

I am not saying that what we have observed doesn't exist, I am saying that as our means for observation are limited we cannot accurately determine what actually surrounds us. Time and space are easy(?) for us to understand, and so we use them as the basis for defining what the universe is. The Wikipedia page on Spacetime states "How many dimensions are needed to describe the universe is still an open question." What we recognize as the universe could merely be the subset of something larger, which in my opinion would render the concept of the universe invalid. It is possible that the observable universe will come to an end, but what that actually entails is currently beyond the scope of our knowledge. (Un)fortunately long before this all life would be wiped out.

TL;DR: OP should have used the term "observable universe" rather than just "universe".

May 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Personally I don't think WE should worry about that. We'll all be in a better place by the time the universe ends. My assumption for the doomsday of the universe is about another 100 Trillion years. It may be longer, who knows...

May 28, 2015 at 6:45 PM
"..."
q3hardcore said:
Wikipedia's opening sentence on the Universe page is "The Universe is all of time and space."

I am not saying that what we have observed doesn't exist, I am saying that as our means for observation are limited we cannot accurately determine what actually surrounds us. Time and space are easy(?) for us to understand, and so we use them as the basis for defining what the universe is. The Wikipedia page on Spacetime states "How many dimensions are needed to describe the universe is still an open question." What we recognize as the universe could merely be the subset of something larger, which in my opinion would render the concept of the universe invalid. It is possible that the observable universe will come to an end, but what that actually entails is currently beyond the scope of our knowledge. (Un)fortunately long before this all life would be wiped out.

TL;DR: OP should have used the term "observable universe" rather than just "universe".
Technically I am talking about the "space" part of the universe, because all of the universe in all times is considered one thing. The entire universe is time along with space.

May 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
By the time this universe is dying, someone upstairs will have shared his knowledge of universe creation to those he deems worthy.
A few will be chucked out and sent to a void. Not much, like, only a real small percentage.
The rest will just be reincarnated as immortals who must live the same way they always have been.
A good chunk will actually be in-between, a better state but still kinda not "I can do anything I want" level.
In fact, probably most people will be that last one, the in-between, you ain't a helper of the weak but you ain't completely selfish and stuff either.

Regarding the actual prompt I have to plagiarize this one:
Bionicobot said:
Well, I believe that at some point every single particle will meet it's antiparticle.
And then as time moves forward and back, tan(90°) will be finally calculated.

May 30, 2015 at 12:57 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
funwillfunwill said:
Technically I am talking about the "space" part of the universe, because all of the universe in all times is considered one thing.
Space contains matter, but matter is not space. So I disagree with you there. Plus lets be honest, matter is simply energy, and energy isn't destroyed, only converted from one form to another according to the the law of conservation of energy.

May 30, 2015 at 1:10 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
My belief is that what we consider the "Universe" is not a clearly defined entity.

In reality, we are a pocket of existence in a vast expanse of empty nothingness. Since the Big Bang, matter has been gradually cooling and dispersing (the Universe is ever expanding). Eventually it will disperse until nothing is left of it, much like an explosion.

The Big Bang occurred as a result of a collision between two particles from one or more previously dispersed existences. Imagine, we could be the product of a Universe that existed long before ours did!

May 30, 2015 at 11:57 AM
"..."
andwhyisit said:
Space contains matter, but matter is not space. So I disagree with you there. Plus lets be honest, matter is simply energy, and energy isn't destroyed, only converted from one form to another according to the the law of conservation of energy.
That's what I said in the first post (I think.) I said that matter and energy can not be created or destroyed, but they can be changed in form. Matter can be converted to energy and vice versa. I am merely saying that the space part of the universe as we know it will be gone. The entire amount of energy in the universe will now be Hawking radiation.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:02 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Okay guys, there are 3 scientific theories of the end of the universe. I'll start with the most likely.

1) Heat Death: Entropy results in all heat in the universe being equally spread throughout it. It would be too cold for any life. All stars and black holes are dead by this point. The universe remains dead for at least 1062 years, at which point another Big Bang could occur due to quantum tunneling.

The next 2 are equally likely, and depend on how dark matter works. Scientists are still learning about dark matter, but don't have that much info yet.

2) Big Rip: Dark matter's strength is constant or increasing. With the universe constantly expanding and accelerating due to dark matter, eventually its acceleration will be greater than the force of gravity. The entire universe will spread out infinitely, causing no one object to be attracted to another.

3) Big Crunch & Big Bounce: Dark matter's strength weakens over time. Eventually, the force of gravity slows the acceleration of the universe, and starts to pull it all together. Many bodies get pulled together and black holes get more massive. As everything approaches a single point, black holes start to engulf eachother until there is only one left. This remaining black hole is so massive that its gravitational force engulfs the entire universe including itself. With all matter and energy at a single point in space, another Big Bang occurs. The theory also states that this has happened many, if not infinitely many, times before.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:45 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I don't think the Universe will ever end. Not while I'm around, at least!

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:16 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
WoodenRat said:
I don't think the Universe will ever end. Not while I'm around, at least!
Hopefully

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Of course theories 1 and 3 say that the universe may not end at all.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
the problem is that there really is no way to prove the universe will ever end until it eventually does. The universe by definition is everything and even if it expands to the point of mass isolation, the universe will still be, because no matter what processes happen the amount of matter and energy will always stay constant.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:22 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
andwhyisit said:
Of course theories 1 and 3 say that the universe may not end at all.
May not end. With the first, it is still very unlikely. And the third theory makes a lot of sense, so just because it says the universe may not end doesn't mean it's ridiculous.