Falling Sand Game

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Alright, I don't know if anyone's heard of this, but I just stumbled upon it whilst digging through my hard drive and thought I would share.

Original Falling Sand Game

Pyro Sand! (my favourite of the online versions, great for "rube goldberg" type fun)

And if you dig around you can find a ton of different versions you can download. Although I can't remember where I got it from, my favourite is the wxSand version (which is what I found on my computer).

The best thing about this version is that it's very easy to mod! And don't we all love that? I'll even be so gracious as to upload My Copy for you so you don't need to go poking around that scary ol' internet. I also included the mod I made a while back when I should have been in chemistry class. Can you figure out the secret recipe for Cola? (Hint: I don't like cola) (Hint2: Your best bet is to try random stuff, since there isn't any real logical flow to this "recipe")

Another rather nifty feature of this version is that it has the abilty to "download" mods from the FSG wiki with the click of a button so you can see all the crazy stuff other people have done (There's a TON of em, but sadly not all are great/work at all)

Basic instructions for wxSand:
To load a mod from your computer, click "file", "Load physics..." and select the appropriate .txt file (Noxid's Mod.txt for example)
To write a mod, look at default.txt, and start making changes to that. It's got some handy "instructions" at the top, which you'll have to figure out for yourself (I really don't remember what all the different variables mean...)
To download one from the internet, click "file" "Load physics from online wiki...", select one from the ~V4.4 Compatible~ list and press ok, then hope for the best.

Anyway, give it a shot, maybe make a little mod or two (It's easy, but a bit tedious) and discuss!

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Ah, hourglass..

Ah, I remember this game...
Many-a-hour spent in front of the computer, playing with the original version...
But these mod versions, I've never heard of them.
I wonder how much you can really modify....
{One way to find out :)}

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Ha-hey I remember this/these. Lots of fun to muck around with in times of boredom. I think I remember one with zombies...

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Most of them have zombies.

Anyway, I remember having some version of this where you could pretty much do ANYTHING (as per an example, Fire + Sand = Glass. Fire + Water = Steam. Steam settles into a cloud. Cloud gets big enough, turns black, has lightning. Metal + Glass + Lightning = Light bulb. Shined and metal could carry current to other stuff.). I don't remember what it was called, I just know that there was a big screen, with a right pane that had different tabs with different tools. There was an option to take a screenshot that could apparently be loaded to "continue game" or some crap. It was on their forums somewhere, and if anyone can find it, that'd be greeeaaat...

Edit: This may or may not be important, but you had to download it. Some guy on the forums made it.