Dust Alpha 0.0.6 Demo! No More Placeholder Sprites!

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:03 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You should really work on the MyChar sprites. They're decent but could use a little bit of tweaking for the better.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:33 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Bugs I found:
1. The Life Capsule in Corridor N stops the music and can be farmed simply by leaving the room and coming back.
2. The "Big Puffle" (I think that's his name) boss goes behind the door to his "lair".
3. The "ray" from the D.U.S.T during the flashback cut scene will push you out of the way if you stand in certain spots. (This one's not really worth noting, but whatever.)
4. This one isn't really a bug, but more of a balance issue. The Ghost Shot deals the same amount of damage and then some with the same amount of ammo consumed as the Power Shot. pls nerf

Great job on the mod, by the way. I really liked the new mechanic and the title theme.

Edit: added 2 bugs that I came across during the new update.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Jun 14, 2015 at 3:55 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Let's take this for a spin.

-Really like what you've done with the 'talking' facepics! Makes them feel animated without needing any fancy hax.
-The doors in the first tileset have no outline on the right side. Also that moon on the title screen has been overcropped a bit.
-Really like the shared ammo idea too. I echo what the others have said about rebalancing the weapons though.
-I see the main character is also Stan's dad :pignon:
-The first attempt at healing the cat takes a long time and nothing really happens. It looked more like the game had softlocked. Don't know if that's intentional, but either way it could do with some shortening and/or extra sound effects. Neat scene otherwise.
-There's no return event from the corridor, with door just sitting there it feels a bit odd.
-It's possible to make it down to the second boss door without the air bubble and get stuck there because the mapping leaves air pockets in the far corners of the path. The door doesn't animate open after beating the boss either. Doors why u gotta always be causin' problems for errybody :critter:

One general thing I noticed is that it feels somewhat rushed, which may not actually be a bad thing in terms of making progress, as long as new things keep happening. Aside from that the dialogue and concept are probably the best parts so far. There's nothing particularly wrong with the level design, it's functional but a bit plain and easy. It looks like a big area is in the works next, so good PROGRESS to you sir and I'll make sure to play this again after the next content update.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM
beep boop
Thanks, I never realized that the door was reachable without the bubble, and I forgot to put the event for the door, you're not really supposed to go back yet. I also plan on changing the start of the mod, because I also find it rushed, and I can't figure out how to make the story flow easily to the next section with the current setup. I plan on hacking the strong shot to function like the level three missle, so it can be better used for taking out small groups of enemies, and be less effective on taking on larger enemies with more health. The Stones will be used for smaller enemies that aren't in groups. The Ghost Shot will be used for puzzels, and for medium enemies, minibosses, and the like. The Nemeise will be for the big ones. I plan to add a way to not take the Strong Shot, or some sort of challenge mode later on. Also, there is a big section planned, with a big advance in the story. Also, the first part of the healing scene has a bug to where it will last a long time unless you repeatedly press the fire or jump, and I have no idea how to fix it.
P.S, if you know how to make the level one missle work like level three, please tell me. I haven't been able to make it work.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hey I'm back!

here's some stuff about the game!

-looks great! a lot of work has been put into it since the 0.0.3 alpha when i last played it!
-rocks! too bad you cant throw well
-I like the changing face sprites and the dialogue is okay too
-what happened to the apple? i wasn't paying attention but do i just automatically eat it and gain health?
-as always the slime guys are pretty annoying... they should drop some ammo so you don't have to kill the last guy with rocks
-whoa! hello afro lady!
-it would be cool if the cat sprite sat next to her and when you got it you put it on your head
-ah never mind apples are heath canisters
-the sad little puffball floats alone in an enclosed cave...
-there are two brick blocks in the floor under the puff guy are they meant to be there?
-the second boss is much more fun with the floating guys

and that looks like its it! i look forward to future versions!

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:28 AM
beep boop
Thanks, I'm working on the next zone. I'm adding quite the amount of new tiles, and I really want the next part to be detailed as possible. There's going to be a bit longer before next realease, due to only 75% of the new tiles for the next map are done. I've started work on figuring out how to make the level one rocket launcher fire three, and I plan on making it be more centered around swarms of enemies. I don't remember if the new shots for the Ghost shot are currently in the realease version, but if they aren't, they are done. Still need to convert many of the sprites for Mimigas into their own characters, but it shouldn't take long. Also, if you have any better ideas for what could replace the apple, I'm all ears.
Also, I think I will actually have some hidden ammo scattered around the maps, hopefully helping to fix the problem. Oh, and expect some original orgs by me in the next version. I've been practicing, and I plan on developing one for the Suberbs.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:13 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Your mod leaves me in the dust.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Professional Whatever
Please tell me that joke was on purpose

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:15 AM
Veteran Member
Jul 31, 2015 at 7:10 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Very nice mod.
When will the next update be?

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Don't post unless you have constructive critasm.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:34 AM
War criminal
Camero said:
Don't post unless you have constructive critasm.
Um, I don't know about you, but...
Yourface1234 said:
Very nice mod.
That looks like constructive criticism to me.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:01 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 4, 2015 at 2:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
TLincoln said:
That looks like constructive criticism to me.
Just because it is positive doesn't mean it is constructive. Positive constructive criticism would say "why" the mod is good. As in what said person actually likes about the mod.

Though it is a weird exchange because Yourface1234 is a Camero alt.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:10 AM
Veteran Member
When will this be updated!

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:48 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
When he bloody feels like it god damn geez stop being so pushy with everybody all the time or you'll be banned for good