Dust Alpha 0.0.6 Demo! No More Placeholder Sprites!

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:47 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
diph.php

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:21 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1721]
Safusaka beat you to it, Randolf.

Sorry.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Edgy

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:59 PM
beep boop
Dust 0.0.3 is here! Note that saves won't be compatible again, sorry.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:41 PM
beep boop
No, there is a new version out that fixes that glitch. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:40 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
:eek: :pignon2: :momo: :droll: :muscledoc: :balrog:

nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i wrote a realy detailed review of 0.0.0.3 but i deleted it...
whyyyyyyyyyyy

anyway great game love the cutsenes mayble ill write it again later but im too lazy right now

im sorry :sue:

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM
beep boop
Dust Alpha 0.0.4 is out now!

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:51 PM
"Huzzah!"
This is a good demo, but one personal nitpick

What if I want to refill ammo during a boss fight? Could there be a few underlings to harvest ammo off of par chance?

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It looks like a promising mod. Pm me and I would gladly help, I'm not the best at music or facepics though so don't ask me for that kind of stuff please.

Also, Change the first boss to only 2 power critters, It's a little troublesome having to deal with 3.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
QuoteHax said:
Also, Change the first boss to only 2 power critters, It's a little troublesome having to deal with 3.
bosses are suppose to be a bit troubling and difficult. plus their pattern is simple. however, it is quite tedious and dealing with them with insufficiant ammo to deal with them is quite annoying in the fact that you have to rely on the basic shot so much in this entire thing. the boss in the water section is also deals with similar problems. this mod shows off shared ammo quite well, but that seems to be a big problem with it in the fact that the stronger shot is near useless after you get the snake, because you only have one section in the entire demo that its really all that necessary; to break a F***ing block. as I've said the reliance on the pea shooter is ridiculous, the shared ammo by the weapons kind of defeats the purpose when the snake is the only weapon good for combat and the missile or stronger shot if you should change the graphic doesn't serve enough purpose to use due to it's mass ammo consumption and dealing dammage not really worth the bang for your buck.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM
beep boop
Hmm, I'll see if I can utilize the Strong Shot in a better way. I'll decrease ammo consumption to 4, and make it shoot the level 3 missiles. They will have a bit higher damage then the Snake. I'll make it to where the Snake is for stealth. Would that fix it the weapon problem?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Bionicobot said:
Hmm, I'll see if I can utilize the Strong Shot in a better way. I'll decrease ammo consumption to 4, and make it shoot the level 3 missiles. They will have a bit higher damage then the Snake. I'll make it to where the Snake is for stealth. Would that fix it the weapon problem?
it sounds decent, but what do you mean by stealth in this context? Are you perhaps adding a function where enemies will attack when they see you?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:41 PM
beep boop
Well, there's the critters.
I plan on making a super critter, where you have to use the Snake instead. I'm adding a code that will remove the Snake if you have it already. I just wanted to show off the aspect of shared ammo. If you don't think that this is a good idea, then I won't do it.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM
beep boop
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1756]
So, I have some progress with Randy's faces. I've done more, but I want there to be some surprises.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:54 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bionicobot said:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fopd96j9hgg1xk/Dust.zip?dl=0

So, I finally got my computer back. The first thing I did was finish Dust, so here it is! Sorry I couldn't get this out earlier...
And to think that you had finished it. Had I tried the previous versions before this ones, I probably wouldn't have fallen for it.
Since I wasted my time making a onceover of it, I might as well post it:

Dunno if it's possible to make the "Bionicobot Presents..." thing at the beginning a little shorter, but at the moment it feels too long.
Nice title screen music.
p193345-0-0wwfoho.png

I what
p193345-1-cgz2fhh.png

but I want to retry though
p193345-2-bmc8bnz.png

but I wanted to retry
p193345-3-mukgtuh.png

oops I broke it

Needless to say, I'ma try out what you've done so far in the real one and give a onceover of that one.

EDIT: And here I am from the future, giving a onceover of the Alpha 0.0.4 version:
(sorry if I mention anything that was found in the time between the release of this update and now)
Okay, let's actually play a mod this time.
The intro is still needlessly long.
The title music is still good, though it currently lacks the prank version's moon.

These critters must be pushovers if all it takes is one thrown rock to kill them.

p193345-4-wg3qmkf.png

What I'm standing on, as well as the slopes in general, look a little too uniform.
A little too straight.

There's no way I'd be able to capture it in a screenshot, due to how fast the rocks fly before vanishing, but somehow they've stopped making the little star effect thing upon hitting a wall or the end of their range.
And yet somehow they returned when I went to rest/save.

p193345-5-c2gjwhe.png

I can jump through this
oh dear

p193345-6-y03adpk.png

help
the wall is eating me

p193345-7-zww4bgf.png

I can throw rocks to begin with
and I found a Strong Shot
but this is simply called the Snake?

p193345-8-jny2di2.png

I hope you're going to redo the sprite for the "ammo"
because having a missile refill the Snake's ammo seems weird

p193345-9-dkercsj.png

I wasn't able to press the hotkeys in time, but these big critters appeared with absolutely no special effects.
Is that intentional? It just seems like even having them fall down would be better than just popping into existance.

p193345-10-eyooxim.png

It doesn't seem like I did, though...

p193345-11-srzxi5b.png

and this came up a second time after I killed the last one??

p193345-12-fxigajk.png

Sue, or whoever she was supposed to be, took a second to appear before walking away.
Popped into existence just like those big critters.

When I got back into the First Cave, a poof of smoke appeared in front of Sue before she made her way to the left
???

Apparently Jellyfish Juice has medicinal properties
what can it NOT do?

p193345-13-xyoevmk.png

so uh
dunno if this is supposed to be grey because of it being a flashback, or grey because it's just really grey
if it's the former, everything else should be equally colorless
also I fell from the top of the door to the floor, instead of just starting on the floor

oh her name's Melody
it may be a good idea to make a custom sprite for her because of reasons

when you have Melody start the D.U.S.T. emitter thing in the flashback, it should probably make some noise to show that it's doing something
for a second I thought something broke or that happened to be the end of the demo
same goes for after attempt #2 is made

oh god strobe lights

p193345-14-bu9xdnh.png

why hello up there

p193345-15-yajflqf.png

this alcove looks even straighter than everything else

p193345-16-fzjru4e.png

IT'S A GHOST CAPSULE
but anyways, I grabbed that, and the music didn't start up again after I mashed through the usual life capsule message.
When I left and came back to see if it'd start again, the life capsule was there again.

brb abusing the infinite life capsule

p193345-17-7u1qhj7.png

oops

p193345-18-ijoyvre.png

these... fish?... seem like they could be placed a little better

p193345-19-gsuoecr.png

that's one very weird looking bubble

p193345-20-6n46fy2.png

I just noticed this
who's Arthur
why does his key open a random door in the First Cave

p193345-21-rimcb99.png

while I have the inventory open, when you check the description for Rocks, the text scrolls a little, cutting off the name, unlike the other weapons.

p193345-22-ipgpdxe.png

not only are the walls hungry here as well
but they seem to contain oxygen, too

p193345-23-ae0t6ps.png

same problem here

p193345-24-ab9613s.png

if I had flooded this entire chamber with water, that spot down there should logically also be flooded, thanks to how water works.
though it could just be a greater pressure down there or something

hoo boy I have a few things to say about the Corridor boss (in the following notes)...

p193345-25-txe0vl4.png

there probably shouldn't be a period after "Boss"

p193345-26-t7d2cdo.png

but it was completely dry SECONDS before I walked through this door

p193345-27-xdayoor.png

I dunno about you, but I don't think the boss should be able to phase behind the door
also you can get yourself sandwiched into the corner here if you keep shooting the boss from the left, like how I just did

p193345-28-3nrtxjv.png

damage knockback skills go
...and I just fell out of the map through the hole I was in front of
you may want to make it so you get pushed back if you try to leave through there, and maybe a message applauding you getting up there for style points.

The Big Puffle wasn't too aggressive...
I was able to stone it to death no problem

Wasn't able to get a picture of it, but the Puff Key should vanish as soon as you pick it up
not after the "key get" message

and end of demo
It definitely could use some work, but it's looking okay so far.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:15 AM
beep boop
A large number of the things in your review have been fixed in the newer demo I'm working on, which the joke demo was made with. The things I need to work on are the graphic for the effects disappearing, and the text scrolling. Also, the moon graphic will stay, and to get past the long load time, all you have to do is spam Z, because that's usually where the Doctor's crown-napping occurs. The "Bionicobot Presents..." thing is just a tile set for a map, and then <FAO's out. I had to keep the timing for the original scene, which is why it seems so long. Also, the fish are beta enemy sprite sets applied to the Chin fish, and they are supposed to look that way. I can't fix the life capsule though. It appears the Debug Capsule has returned.