Dusk Under the Island - Forum Release

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:53 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
As some of my friends in the CSMC Discord group may know, I created a mod for Modfest II on November 18th, 2017. I have since improved it, added mods and done other great things to it since.

This mod contains a short little "under the island" theme, abiding by an aesthetically pleasing purple tone. I made it in 5 hours (mainly just making maps, scripting and editing sprites) and got relatively good feedback from it. So, I thought "why not upload this to the forums?" So, now you have this abomination. Now, some credits due.

Credit to Clownacy, because I used his mods and mod patcher; without those, you wouldn't have any of the fancy features like widescreen and 60fps.

Credit to 2Dbro, the ORG used throughout the game was by him.

And last but not least, thanks to Pixel for making the original game and inspiring me to get into the community the game made.

In Ver. 1.1 (R2)
Added logic to the top of the main map
Fixed Homing Flame noises
Reduced Ammo
Added auto-equip

In Ver. 1.11 (R3)
Mainly bug fixes
Added custom icon
Added space at the top-left in the title screen for the best time

Some things I do NOT plan on doing are adding a boss, adding extra areas, buffing/nerfing it, adding/changing weapons or expanding the 'enemy room' area unless if I change my mind.

Feel free to ask questions, criticize my presentation and vent off by continuing this post!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:03 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The title screen background was a heavy edit of Jenka's Nightmare's "bkSun".
Did you ask permission to use it? Using a heavily modified version of something someone else made is still using something someone else made.

p361365-0-qefd15w.png

1. Packing your mod with window.rect is a bad idea.
2. You included DoConfig twice, once in the root directory and again in the config directory.
3. Speaking of the config folder, it's completely unnecessary. You can modify the font in DoConfig, just do the same thing you did to Config.dat.

p361365-1-npaunyi.png

You weren't kidding about the "aesthetically pleasing purple tone", I'll give you that.

p361365-2-pbifhim.png

Why homing flames? And why do they make critter sounds when you hurt them?

p361365-3-xs79sau.png

WHY DO NO MODS AUTOEQUIP THE BOOSTER
The Whimsical Star is also not autoequipped, which is a bit odd considering the vanilla game autoequips it.
Also, the Map System isn't equipped (can't press W to open it), and I'd recommend you check the Arms Barrier and Turbocharge.

p361365-4-g3jlcqc.png

Why are the top and sides of the screen instant death?

p361365-5-4b1umoq.png

what

p361365-6-bppr9rn.png

what's the point of this part
why are you teasing us with inaccessible doors

p361365-7-dodbuoo.png

Again, what's the point? You can't interact with that computer.

Unless the "That's all, thanks." message is actually an "end of demo" message and not a death message, this mod seems to not have an end?

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Did you ask permission to use it? Using a heavily modified version of something someone else made is still using something someone else made.

p361365-0-qefd15w.png

1. Packing your mod with window.rect is a bad idea.
2. You included DoConfig twice, once in the root directory and again in the config directory.
3. Speaking of the config folder, it's completely unnecessary. You can modify the font in DoConfig, just do the same thing you did to Config.dat.

p361365-1-npaunyi.png

You weren't kidding about the "aesthetically pleasing purple tone", I'll give you that.

p361365-2-pbifhim.png

Why homing flames? And why do they make critter sounds when you hurt them?

p361365-3-xs79sau.png

WHY DO NO MODS AUTOEQUIP THE BOOSTER
The Whimsical Star is also not autoequipped, which is a bit odd considering the vanilla game autoequips it.
Also, the Map System isn't equipped (can't press W to open it), and I'd recommend you check the Arms Barrier and Turbocharge.

p361365-4-g3jlcqc.png

Why are the top and sides of the screen instant death?

p361365-5-4b1umoq.png

what

p361365-6-bppr9rn.png

what's the point of this part
why are you teasing us with inaccessible doors

p361365-7-dodbuoo.png

Again, what's the point? You can't interact with that computer.

Unless the "That's all, thanks." message is actually an "end of demo" message and not a death message, this mod seems to not have an end?
Well, a lot of these things are intentional; the top and sides are instant death so you don't go OoB (of course), but I didn't know any other way to handle that. The floating door from the enemy room area is supposed to be like that so you can't backtrack. All of these things that you can't interact with are to be interacted with later; like the terminal. That is to show that you can, in fact, interact with them later if you go the right way. What you said about BkSun from JN is completely true; I will replace that asap. I agree that that is plagiarism if someone took it the wrong way and I could get in serious trouble if it isn't fixed. The excess junk was simply for testing purposes (except for the configs folder). I really only added the configs folder to add to the overall density of the mod and because I wasn't sure how the configs would work in other places. That's a whole other league for me.
I MADE THIS IN 5 HOURS. Going through the clouds just causes you to restart the run, even though the timer is kinda difficult to use in that territory. I couldn't, and won't, add a new area above the clouds. Too much for me.
>TMW I realize that that is the bottom of the island and ground should be there instead of clouds.
Homing flames are just there to be there, I guess. I can't think of any other enemies that follow you, especially in the shape of this map. I'm drawing a blank with the critter noises.
I could've sworn that I auto-equipped the turbocharge, booster, whimsial star and arms barrier. I guess I just didn't, then.

Thank you for your time and feedback and I will fix these things ASAP.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:03 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
a suggestion would be to make the sides and top h/v triggers (vertical for sides, horizontal for top) and check the "solid" box that way the player can't go out of the map, but won't die from touching it.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:53 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Huh. I always assumed it only did the one square tile when you added entity flags to HV triggers. Too late now :p

1.1 Released!

1.11 Is out with bux fixes and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:05 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
As some of my friends in the CSMC Discord group may know, I created a mod for Modfest II on November 18th, 2017. I have since improved it, added mods and done other great things to it since.

This mod contains a short little "under the island" theme, abiding by an aesthetically pleasing purple tone. I made it in 5 hours (mainly just making maps, scripting and editing sprites) and got relatively good feedback from it. So, I thought "why not upload this to the forums?" So, now you have this abomination. Now, some credits due.

Credit to Clownacy, because I used his mods and mod patcher; without those, you wouldn't have any of the fancy features like widescreen and 60fps.

Credit to 2Dbro, the ORG used throughout the game was by him.

And last but not least, thanks to Pixel for making the original game and inspiring me to get into the community the game made.

In Ver. 1.1 (R2)
Added logic to the top of the main map
Fixed Homing Flame noises
Reduced Ammo
Added auto-equip

In Ver. 1.11 (R3)
Mainly bug fixes
Added custom icon
Added space at the top-left in the title screen for the best time

Some things I do NOT plan on doing are adding a boss, adding extra areas, buffing/nerfing it, adding/changing weapons or expanding the 'enemy room' area unless if I change my mind.

Feel free to ask questions, criticize my presentation and vent off by continuing this post!

I'm working on 2x resolution sprites, be ready for that! I may also limit the palette so that it blends better. Some sprites looked more pink than other sprites.

Oops, I totally forgot about this lol
This is cancelled until further notice

Last edited: