Dungeon Fighter Online (2015) Beta!

May 15, 2014 at 3:51 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Official Dungeon Fighter Online Website here
Dungeon and Fighter is a 2-D Beat-em-up made by Neople that, in way, is the result of Streets of Rage's gameplay and the setting of the Arcade Dungeons and Dragons games with the Flair and Style of Devil May Cry and a moveset and PvP mode that is like Street Fighter. It was brought over to North America as Dungeon Fighter Online during 2009 to 2013.

Some things you'll need to know:
- For one, there are currently eight classes, with three of them having seperate gender variants that change up the gameplay, making a total of nine; Mage (Female and Male), Fighter (Female and Male), Thief, Gunner (Female and Male), Slayer, and Priest. Sub characters include the Dark Knight and the Creator. On top of that, there are Four Sub-Classes for each of them, (The Thief and Male Mage only have two at the time of this though, the DK and Creator are by themselves) making a total of 34 Sub-Classes.

-- On top of all the classes, there are five types of armors in the game for all the classes to use and about 4-6 individual weapon types for each individual class. Gunners get all sorts of Revolvers, Shotguns, Bowguns, Handcannons, while Fighters get Boxing Gloves, Tonfas, Claws, and Gauntlets.

- There is plenty of content and Lore packed into this game if you care to actually read the Epic Quests, which serve as the game's main plot that you will have to do in order to progress through the game and such. Currently there are levels 1-70 in this game. So yeah, plenty of baddies to fight and some conspiracies.

- Speaking of fighting baddies, you can make your own party of up to four people to play Co-Op and kick evil ass with no mercy. And if you don't feel like playing with random people, later on you can either A) Create a Guild to make friends with and receive bonuses like Extra EXP Gain and Boosted Stats together B) Become a Mentor to someone new to the game or to help a friend learn about the game/make progress faster and C) Just make friends with folks and play with them there

- The entire damn game is in 2-D and has a great look and feel to it. The animations, the enemies, the bosses, the NPC's, the environments...it's all good.

- The soundtrack is pretty good throughout your entire experience, from the beginning of Lorien Forest to the late-game stuff that I won't spoil.

Have an example, even:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAf-bF0V3A

This is a game that I've played for about 3 years, and really does make me happy to see that it's making a comeback this year. I just hope to share it with you guys and see for yourself.

Happy Dungeon Fighting, everyone.

May 15, 2014 at 7:09 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I played this a few years ago and it was dogshit. For some reason, I suspect it hasn't changed a lot.

May 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JonSpider said:
- For one, there are six classes, with three of them having seperate gender variants that change up the gameplay, making a total of eight; Mage (Female and Male), Fighter (Female and Male), Thief, Gunner (Female and Male), Slayer, and Priest.
6+3 was 9 last I checked.

May 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I had fun with this right up until the point where I wanted to make my character -look- different, and found out that it required IRL cash to do so. So I promptly stopped playing because why would they need me around when they have thousands of other players who look and act the same?

May 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Professional Whatever
Hey yeah this wasn't too bad but I never really got into it. I'll give it another chance though.

...Do you have to login with facebook? That's really stupid.

May 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Melon Lord
ZarroTsu said:
I had fun with this right up until the point where I wanted to make my character -look- different, and found out that it required IRL cash to do so. So I promptly stopped playing because why would they need me around when they have thousands of other players who look and act the same?
Actually Zarro, you can buy Avatars with in-game gold via the Game's Auction House. Though, since the current version is the Alpha, it isn't t available just yet. I did have enough gold at one point in the Nexon version to buy an entire avatar set I wanted in a hour (That's about 8-12 pieces there). Don't worry, this isn't like MapleStory.

Even then, if you look in Seria's shop in the Hub room, you'll see she's selling avatars for a hefty sum of gold, but nothing too horrid if the game's economy is handled well here.

@ Andwhy's number comment...well shoot, you got me there. I forgot to count Male Mage since I never played him before the game shut down. I'll fix that.

@Cat I'm not sure if it's necessary to use Facebook, but I haven't tested it out yet. Try downloading and booting up the game without logging in to see if it works.

May 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Professional Whatever
diph.php
...Is it supposed to actually work? I've tried to join three times now to no avail.

May 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Melon Lord
cat said:
diph.php
...Is it supposed to actually work? I've tried to join three times now to no avail.
I suppose that means you need to login with Facebook. My best guess since that error usually involves an account.

May 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Professional Whatever
I've been logged in this entire time.

May 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM
/end
There is a problem logging into certain channels, if that pops up try a different channel.

May 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Melon Lord
Well it's been two weeks, and I know I managed to convince at least a few of you there, but we've got a Letter, and it holds some good news. Maybe once you read this or when the beta starts, some of you who were hesitant or unconvinced may give the game a chance now.

A Letter from the CEO of Neople
[Letter from CEO]
Dear DFO players,

Hello, this is In Lee, the CEO of Neople. I am very pleased to have this opportunity to write to you.
My work is to develop games but at the same time I’m a game player, just like you. So the player-side and the developer-side coexist within me.

Throughout this Alpha phase, many of you have been showing support for us so I wish to sincerely thank you all. And I see many of you are wondering about our future plans, so I would like to share a few words.

As our team mentioned here before, through this Alpha test we tried to assess the viability of the service, and we did not have any updates or proper customer service. Our main goal was just to see how many players would come to play our game.

The result was not favorable in our standard, but seeing the comments many of you left on our postings and our team’s will to give DFO another try, we have finally decided to bring the game back once again. The details will be posted separately.
I'd also like to draw your attention to the following points:

• We have already failed once before. So it is difficult for us to say our game and service is the greatest. But we will make sure to do our absolute best when we run the service.
  • We may not satisfy everyone, and we will run into problems. But we promise to try our best to fix things.
  • Neople is a development company, and we have no experience, other than in Korea, in servicing the game on our own. So our level of support when it comes to customer service may not meet your standards. We have to learn as we go along, and we may cause some inconvenience in doing so. We can promise to learn fast and do our best, and we would appreciate your understanding in this.
  • We will make changes to some aspects of the game so hackers and gold-farmers don’t come into our game. Our game designers and I are considering many different possibilities, and whatever the outcome might be we will make gold-farming pointless in our game.
  • This is our plea to you. Please do not hack or abuse the game. It is our responsibility to create enjoyable games, and it is your responsibility to enjoy them. If we focus all of our energy to blocking hacker and abusers, we won’t have enough time to create other exciting new contents or events. We won’t have to time to listen to the majority of players who have been purely enjoying the game. We earnestly ask you not to abuse the game – please enjoy them in the way they were meant to be.
The postings on our Facebook Page is directly written by the developers here. Of course they are very busy, but they take their time to read your comments and communicate with you. We will continue this, and try to do it more often. But please understand that we cannot answer every question or request made about the game.

We don’t have any experience running a service like this, and we are still a bit confused on what we have to do from now on. However we will give it a go. It may take time – very long time indeed. Nonetheless please stay with us, tell your friends, spread the news, and please be here when we finally come back.

Your cheers and support give us the power to move forward.

We promise to do our very best.
Thank you,
In Lee
CEO, Neople Inc.

Read full post: https://www.facebook.com/dfoglobal/p...212703239513:0
[Announcement]
It’s going to be a long announcement so please read carefully
1. Alpha and Beyond
* The current Alpha Test will end on June 13th Friday 6PM KST
* And the answer is YES. We will bring DFO back.

2. What Stays and What Goes?
* Your Character Name/Class, and your Level will STAY
* EVERYTHING ELSE (including but not limited to gold, items/weapons you have on you and in your vault etc.) will be GONE/ERASED.
* Since it is an Alpha, we cannot leave the items/gold etc. but the least we could do was to leave your character name/level. Also when you come back later, we will make sure to prepare you with necessary items so you can enjoy the game without any hassle.
* We will be providing other means of login for those of you not wishing to use your Facebook account for DFO, However, please note if you want to continue on with your Alpha character when the game is back, you must use the same Facebook account to login.
* To reward you for participating in Alpha we will definitely prepare something for you.

3. Future Plans
* As all of you know (yes, we know too) the Alpha version is so old it almost feels ancient. So naturally it will take us quite a long time to prepare a fresher version, and of course fix all these messy problems everyone has been telling us about.
* What we would like you to understand is that we will not be able to bring the game back within a few weeks; it may take longer than many of you expect, but we will make sure to communicate with you through this page and let you know where we are in terms of preparing the official launch.
Thank you so much for everyone’s patience, and we are so happy to have been blessed with such amazing players
It’s a beginning of something really exciting for us, and we hope you guys are excited as well!

May 30, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
ZarroTsu said:
Nexon has never been good with microtransactions in their MMO's to begin with-
Just look at MS, that game is pretty much ruined by its poor monetization (among a slew of other noticeable problems) and forced payment for any sense of character customization.

May 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Professional Whatever
Okay really now, they are getting better in that regard. They give freebies for a lot of items - for example, every new user can get a free hairstyle change. In fact, quite soon they're holding an event that lets you change your appearance - though randomly - any number of times.

May 30, 2014 at 6:04 PM
cat said:
Okay really now, they are getting better in that regard. They give freebies for a lot of items - for example, every new user can get a free hairstyle change.
If you go to Marriageland and do a quick, stupid, "bring me 20 slime gels" quest, you can get a hairstyle randomly selected from a small pool of shitty hairstyles. I did that quest with a dark-skinned character, and he got a fucking orange bowlcut. A million times worse than the style I started out with. And don't say "they're getting better," because that quest has been around for six years.

cat said:
In fact, quite soon they're holding an event that lets you change your appearance - though randomly - any number of times.
And just like in the example above, you're going to end up looking even shittier than when you started, and then you'll buy some plastic surgery/hairstyle coupons from the cash shop to fix your godawful head. Don't try to make Nexon look generous or something. MapleStory is a cynical cash siphon for kids that don't know any better than to spend ten bucks getting a virtual makeover.

May 30, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Professional Whatever
I didn't say they were generous and I wasn't talking about that shitty quest. They give you a coupon to get a hairstyle of your choice anywhere. And it was like a year ago.
Also since you can do it any number of times why would you ever need to buy extra coupons??
And no shit they're not generous, but they're improving even just a little.

May 30, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Melon Lord
Nexon at this point is irrelevant for this particular game, since Nexon NA so gloriously failed at publishing the game the first time with non-existent advertising, laughably bad support, poor control over the gold bots causing inflation, and having the Halloween/Christmas event keep going on all the way to June, when it got shut down.

Remember that the publisher in this case for the second go, Neople, is also the Developer. Their game in Korea's been the most popular and profitable, making more money than MapleStory with Nexon Korea publishing it for good reasons. With their knowledge on how the game got so successful to begin with, I'm sure stuff related to the Cash Shop, Avatars, the experience curve, etc will be much better than what Nexon NA did. If any of you can set aside or just ease up a bit at the bias with Nexon and give the ancient version of Global DFO time to update (Like a Auction Hall to open up to buy specific Avatars you actually want for in-game gold) so it can catch up with DnF's, I'm sure you may be surprised or enjoy the game more.

To give an idea on how ancient the Alpha version is for those unaware, the Global Version is on Season 2 (Major Content Updates) Chapter 5 (Minor) or so with the level cap being 70. Korea's got Season 4 and the level cap is 85.

May 30, 2014 at 7:49 PM
JonSpider said:
If any of you can set aside or just ease up a bit at the bias with Nexon and give the ancient version of Global DFO time to update (Like a Auction Hall to open up to buy specific Avatars you actually want for in-game gold) so it can catch up with DnF's, I'm sure you may be surprised or enjoy the game more.
But I don't like MMOs, brawlers, fighting games, 13-year-olds, or microtransactions. Why on earth would I play Dungeon Fighter.

May 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
don't like, you like at least half of those things

May 31, 2014 at 7:13 AM
Tera is the only MMO I've liked since I smartened up about MapleStory, and then they ruined Tera.
RBO is the only brawler I've liked since River City Ransom, and I think I only like those because of nostalgia.
I don't like any fighting games ever. Salty Bet doesn't count and I don't watch it anymore.
I don't know why you would accuse me of liking 13-year-olds, you haven't seen my browser history or anything.
Microtransactions are a useful business model but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Since this Dung Fighter Online is a perfect storm of everything I don't like, maybe I'll record myself playing it.

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Melon Lord
And so, the Alpha has ended since 2AM or so PST on the 13th.

Though, as the letter from the CEO said, DFO's gonna go to Beta sometime in the future. Maybe sometime later in the Summer, or whatever time it'll be. Least I got everything I needed to do done before the Alpha ended, but I'll see you guys, or none of you, maybe Capt. Fab, who knows in the Beta release. Hopefully that one will be far more up to date.
p184172-0-dfoisback.png