Dreams Below (First Demo)

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:39 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Dreams Below
This is my third real mod, edging once more towards trying to look a bit more original.
This is also my first mod that isn't monochromatic.
While it isn't much yet (it's a demo, of course it isn't a lot), I hope everybody at least likes the ideas and that I haven't once again made a giant mistake like I usually do when I release a mod.

Some more about the development;
I started having ideas of starting a new mod around early September 2016. Being slightly inspired after a few drawings I made. The basic idea was to make a mod based on the character I drew, and also to work with low jump height, which would make a different look on things.
I had prepared a fresh copy of Cave Story ready for modding around 3 September, but I didn't work a lot on it, being more focused on other things.
An unknown time later, I finally started working on a beginning, but i've only made a few rooms, that weren't finished, and stopped working on it once again.
That was until Januari, where I finally started getting serious on my mod, it getting another concept of unlockable blocks that were supposed to do something other than the spike, water and wind/stream tiletypes had.
there was one more delay somewhere in Februari right before upping the first demo, but after that, all known issues were fixed, and the rest should be obvious.
It's truly amazing how long making a short demo could be, and how much effort one has to show.

Also, don't worry about Color Story if that's of your concern, I'll do my best to not leave it abandoned, it's on hold until I get interested in continuing it again.

Downloads
First Demo: Dropbox | Google Drive

Screenshots
Coming soon!

Things that are subject to change(meaning you don't need to worry about those);
All the signs of it still being cave story on the exe name, icon, title and possibly music.
The pre-title screen.
Facepics, I still gotta come with these, but I wanted this mod's general ideas out there already.
Everything related to Life Capsules.

Credit goes to these great people;
Pixel, for creating Cave Story.
Noxid, for creating the tool that is Booster's Lab.
TITAN, Kenzo_ITN and TLinkan for testing and supporting me.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
There's a TSC error immediately in the title sequence, to let you know.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:57 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
got a lot of feedback for you
miccs 1.PNG
it seems that you can get stuck in the top of these. that made it quite difficult to traverse this area
miccs 2.PNG
in fact it seems that you can get stuck inside all the ladder blocks
miccs 3.PNG
i picked it up, but it was still there. if i interact with it, it replays the script
miccs 4.PNG
it seems that even though these blocks are marked with a ? they act as bounce tiles
miccs 5.PNG
i can't go past here without teleporting back to the hub. it seems you misplaced your return to hub trigger
miccs 7.PNG
my theory was confirmed when i tried to return to the hub.

thats everything that i found, although there may be more in the currently inaccessible zone.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
i can't go past here without teleporting back to the hub. it seems you misplaced your return to hub trigger
Oh, whoops. I'll try to fix that when i have the time later today.
As for the ladder blocks, they're supposed to keep you on them until you reach the top.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
As for the ladder blocks, they're supposed to keep you on them until you reach the top.
I mean that on that specific block it trapped me there for a while at the top. I couldn't move without some difficulty

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
I mean that on that specific block it trapped me there for a while at the top. I couldn't move without some difficulty
I can(and will) easily fix that section. Holding jump could help you get a little bit higher, by the way.

EDIT: allright i fixed it!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2017 at 2:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Not much to comment on yet, but the multitool majigger is neato and the level design complements it well so far. Dialogue comes off as a bit rushed, even considering the placeholders. Plenty of potential though!

Time for a nap :critter:

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:10 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Serri just recommended this mod. Is it still in development?

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:14 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
These days I post small quickie mods at best, so no.