Don't Play On the Ice (and possibly other puzzle games)

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I made another puzzlescript game:
http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=8970711
NOTE: You must exit to the bottom of the screen to get to the next level!
This is a game about sliding around and trying to break all the ice.
It's also a game about the dumb games kids make up when they're bored.
Try not to fall in the water.

This was inspired by Lexaloffle's lovely game Zen Puzzle Garden; it arose from the idea of combining that game with the various sliding/ice-breaker games that I've played so many times. It's one of my favorite games that I've made in puzzlescript so far, and I like how the graphics came out. ^-^

(Original google thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puzzlescript/SwI-jJJ2RXE)

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
When I saw the large pixels, the first thing that came to mind was PixelJAM. :D

It's fun to play through, though I would have appreciated some audio (I played Thin Ice in the background and it seemed fitting enough for me). But why is exiting from the bottom necessary? I mean, I know you have to complete a level this way, however, why can't the level be completed automatically when all tiles have been cleared or the person gets off the ice?

I also found it surprising that it was possible to phase through trees.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Random-storykeeper said:
When I saw the large pixels, the first thing that came to mind was PixelJAM. :D

It's fun to play through, though I would have appreciated some audio (I played Thin Ice in the background and it seemed fitting enough for me). But why is exiting from the bottom necessary? I mean, I know you have to complete a level this way, however, why can't the level be completed automatically when all tiles have been cleared or the person gets off the ice?

I also found it surprising that it was possible to phase through trees.
Okay, I had you walk off the bottom because sometimes there's levels where you can get stuck on an island or something.
You're supposed to be able to walk behind trees.
Perhaps the game does need some work.

Oh yeah and the large pixels are a result of using puzzlescript.net to throw it together. I love this thing so much, people won't stop making more and more neat puzzles with it. :D

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Beakface
Oh, I see now. Yeah, you can walk behind their treetops, but not the stumps. I was treating the entire tree as being a solid hazard.

Don't get me wrong; I love large pixels. And the game takes place on an island? Huh, I never knew islands had patches of frozen water in the middle of them.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:21 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Random-storykeeper said:
And the game takes place on an island? Huh, I never knew islands had patches of frozen water in the middle of them.
...I meant that there's levels where you have to complete them and still be able to leave via the bottom. You can't get your guy stuck.

I moved the trees down one pixel, it actually looks a bit better anyways.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
It's good, though having to refresh the page constantly is annoying as hell. What's even worse is the curser always begins on New Game and that has screwed me up a few times. A good effort for a quick game.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:10 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
It's good, though having to refresh the page constantly is annoying as hell. What's even worse is the curser always begins on New Game and that has screwed me up a few times. A good effort for a quick game.
Had you noticed in all the time you were playing that you can hit R to restart a level or even Z to undo moves?

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:40 AM
Beakface
Undo moves? I didn't know about that. Such a courtesy; now I don't have to restart from the beginning of a level every time I mess up. (though it would have been nice to have the game automatically restart if you fall into the water)

EDIT: Oh gosh was that always mentioned on the titlescreen? Sheesh sorry for being blind.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's all good. Here's my latest project.
http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=9065838

Move the cursor with the arrows...
Action key (X) changes the instruction the robot follows in each step. Action on the green play button to see the robot carry out instructions!
(R resets to before you hit play)
(Z to undo as per usual in Puzzlescript)

I'm curious how far anybody can get, definitely let me know if you figure out level 4 or higher. I'm open to critiques. Yes I know this one is gonna have some really hard puzzles. ;)

EDIT: Tweaked the level order.
EDIT 2:
Features have been added, graphics tweaked.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Beakface
I'm not quite certain how to play this. So you use the arrow keys and X, which initiates an action from the robot. What am I supposed to be doing? That's the real puzzle of this game, I suppose.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"