DoConfig Questions

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:42 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So, I recently found out that you can edit the font that DoConfig uses at memory address 0000BCE0 in the DoConfig executable. But with that came a few questions. What is with the shitton of empty addresses from 0000BCE0 to 000BFF0? That seems like an awful lot of empty space, not to mention it's right next to the listed font being used. How do you add multiple font selections? The game reads fonts by names, not IDs or anything. So I was wondering, since it was a dropdown menu and since there is some text in the DoConfig executable itself asking you not to use any other fonts, as if you had that option. Could that be what some of the empty space below the 1 listed font is for? What if a font name is bigger than 16 characters? Would it just not accept it?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:49 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Afaik, adding more than one font to DoConfig isn't possible. I've tried it once and it reverts the list back to the font width options from the original Japanese DoConfig.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:02 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Afaik, adding more than one font to DoConfig isn't possible. I've tried it once and it reverts the list back to the font width options from the original Japanese DoConfig.
That's a shame. Interesting, though.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:47 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Adding multiple fonts is certainly possible although extremely few fonts suit Cave Story.

Jan 14, 2018 at 5:35 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Adding multiple fonts is certainly possible although extremely few fonts suit Cave Story.

Yeah, but I can do 3 off the top of my head. Terminal, Courier New, Lucida Console... You wouldn't be able to use every font - just a few pre selected ones.

Edit: This is completely irrelevant lol, I forgot what I originally posted at the time of replying this message

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:11 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Cave Story's limit for font name length is actually 64. The selected font name is stored in Config.dat, so you would be corrupting that file if you attempted to store a longer name.

The empty space in DoConfig is simply for alignment. You can't just add more font names there because DoConfig only has a call to specifically add one font.

Additional fonts are enumerated and the function at 00002380 determines whether a font should be listed.
You can disable the filtering by making the following changes with a hex editor:
Code:
000023E9: 74 90
000023EA: 1F 90

You'd have to use ASM in order to make your own font list.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 7:29 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Terminal, Courier New, Lucida Console...
May I also suggest Anonymous Pro? It's a custom font, I'm sure the font is packaged with Ama (a mod by Doors and Dunc).