Do you approve of the use of 1337-speak?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
:heartrefill:

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:53 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It is a little difficult to figure out what people are saying when they do that...

Well, I guess this thread will be over soon.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mevon said:
Well gee adimns thanks for turning a innocent question into me getting banned.
'Cause we never said we were banning you. Your second post made you sound like a troll and gave the impression that you were going to use excessive amounts of 1337 on the forums regardless of our objections to it. So GIR pointed out that doing so will get you banned, and I agreed with him.

Also if you make an opinion on the net then bloody well expect some people to disagree with it. You asked if we approved of 1337, the answer was no, you asked why and we answered you, you then flamebaited us all and then complained about the end result, deciding that because we don't agree with you we must be SUCH HORRIBLE PEOPLE OMG! You can't blame anyone but yourself for this outcome.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:06 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Threads like this are starting to become depressing.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yes. Especially in December. D:

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I don't like leet speak because it's annoying to decipher read.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I remember using leetspeak like once in my life...
I was 11 back then. So quickly time passes...
Never again.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:26 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
as if anyone wasn't expecting this.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Next time that happens to a thread, could you let it go without talking about it for 8 more posts? I read all that you know.

If I recall, the term 1337 comes from a shortened form of "elite" or "elitespeak", meaning, it was an attempt at inventing a code that you can only decipher if you know how it works and outsiders are left out. Hence they are not part of the elite. Except the code is to use other symbols and make them resemble letters and the whole thing was practically pointless, except for of course getting past bad word filters.

I think the only time I've ever seen it was when it was used ironically or comically, except even then it is rarely in the original form or it looks more like texting-speak so that hardly counts.

In other words, it's dumb, it only shows up when people are making fun of it, and even then they probably aren't using the pure form because that's ridiculous.