Do Cave Story mods work on Cave Story+?

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Just wondering.
And also, how would I install them for Cave Story+?
Sorry if the question has been asked, since I couldn't find any.
I'm also new to modding and all that.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I know someone made it so you can access mods from the Challenges menu, so I guess the answer is yes. Someone who has actually done it can tell you how, because I don't remember how to do it or who originally found it out.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:24 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Mods that do not modify graphics, or hack Cave Story should probably can be ported easily.

If they modify graphics, you have to make sure they are bmp files, and at the right size graphics...
I think you can use original graphics with modifications if you create a "ogph" folder in your mod folder (and they are bmp).

HMh...

I think actually, you might have to modify stage.tbl if the stage has a different tileset choice than the original. That can be a little tricky; make backups... I used XVI32 to carefully make changes there...

I don't know if there's an easy tool to edit stage.tbl?

Some little warnings... It might be better to just make a different CS+ copy for each major mod at the present time. I believe that even if you change the portraits (Face.bmp) or images that modify chests, etc (NpcSym.bmp); it might still use either the original base folder or Xmas for portraits.

I should confirm that...

Also, there isn't a whole lot of space for adding mods in the challenge screen. It quickly goes off the edge of the screen when adding a few to the original challenges...
There really needs to be a seperate MODS section, that is scrollable...

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:54 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah. The good thing is, CS+ uses roughly the same files as the original. Thus, you can just copy/paste.
For example, I have one of my mods as the fan translation of the original.
Sadly, graphic switching doesn't work (stuck on the new graphics for all mods)