Do any of the mandatory weapons bother anyone else?

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:12 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Does Kero Blaster have metroidvania elements? I thought it was mainly a run and gun game like Contra or Cuphead, unless there's more that I missed.
I do agree with ya, Kero Blaster came off to me as a run and gun game. It's something that you really gotta adjust to, it was until I started Zangyou that I remembered that this game was completely different from CS, and so, I had to play it differently.

You can't get the Nemesis in hard mode?
Wait really? I could've swore you were able to get it on Hard Mode like any other; well, I guess it makes sense, I've never seen a hardmode run with nemesis so fair enough.

Every weapon in Cave Story and Kero Blaster is situational, and trough trial and error you can learn the best situations to use each of them in. Obtaining more weapons can directly correspond to the introduction of more complex and interesting situations that require quick thinking, and use of one weapon immediately after another.
Yeah, that's about a great sum-up of it all; all of the weapons are situational, but have their moments, just some shine brighter than others, heh.

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:41 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I find the Blade a lot more fun for it's hitbox, damage output, and sentimental value, when I first played CS, I was motivated to avenge King; sure, you don't know much about him, but you care in the end. The guy just wanted to protect Toroko and hold-up the Blade in the village's honor and protection in similar vein to what we hear about Arthur, I became invested in that, to bring uphold a promise King couldn't keep (minor story rant), I really wished earlier on in the game he had more of a breakdown. Because, yea, he puts Sue in jail, but we don't see him go ALL the way; I would've loved to see him persist into the Sand Zone and be doing things like begging Jenka for the key, or possibly hurting Curly out of desperation for help or answers; because he slashes Balrog and gets oof-ed pretty quickly, I don't know, just stuff like that would've been cool. But overall, the Blade is a great weapon, and I do agree with y'all, it's a good weapon to be stuck with.

I pretty much agree 100% with you on the Blade and King.
I hadn't actually thought about how he could have done more and broken down more had he lived longer. It's a shame we didn't get to see something like that or see more of him in general before he died, although that would be even more tragic.

I always did want it to be brought up in the story that he is technically still around though. Just chilling out in your/his sword until he he feels like cutting some dudes.
What's going on with that anyway? Does he live in there now? Did he skip out on CS heaven with Toroko to make more things bleed? Is Toroko in there too? Is the Blade just able to call him from whatever afterlife there is? Is he stuck with it because he has unfinished business protecting the Mimiga and their home? Is he still hanging around after the end with Quote, Curly, and Balrog? Does he even know about or understand the situations he's being thrown out to deal with? Is he the reason the blade always flies back to you like a boomerang?

Anyway yeah King is one of, if not my fav CS char so the Blade has always been special to me, or maybe the Blade and Phantom King is just one part of why I liked him.

Also I kinda wish the Nemesis was allowed in Hard Mode. I can imagine how much of a Bullet Hell like Clusterfuck that would make the game. Honestly it's strong, but not so strong that I think you haven't basically earned it for being able to use it effectively with so little HP.

Actually imagine a 3 HP LV 3 Nemesis Run. I think that's called "Literally Impossible Mode".

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 1:34 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
I always thought king had like kind of become part of the blade but he's still his separate guy so him and toroko are in heaven or bunny mimiga heaven but the blade still is like kind of king but not a part taken away from, just a part of
if you get what im saying?
also i think you forgot the 3 after "3 HP LV" in your last post

or maybe you didn't who can tell :confused::confused::confused::droll::droll::droll::droll:
you can tell shinypoke

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:35 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No Machine Gun
I actually got that and the Bubbler when I played hard mode. Granted, they are in no way mandatory at all, I got them more for strategic purposes. And then came Monster X

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:57 AM
I think I'll just cheat my way through Hard Mode and find out if the Nemesis is there for sure.

Also you can definitely get the Snake and Bubbler in Hard Mode. Slowbeef got them in his playthrough.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:01 AM
lol
Legit? I was pretty convinced that you were barred from getting the non-essential weapons... one sec... uhh, okay I actually have no idea how hard mode works internally. My assumption is that it just sets a bunch of flags to stop the life capsules from appearing.
Iirc, yeah, it just removes life capsules and the missiles. I'm gonna try later and see if you can get the nemesis.

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:32 PM
You can get the Snake yes.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:30 AM
lol
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:44 AM
Well dang, do you think you can find one with a Nemesis hard mode too?
Actually surprisingly yes.
This one just happened to come up just now. I only know the Slowbeef playthrough cause I like his content and obviously Cave Story so I already watched his run.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM
lol
Actually surprisingly yes.
This one just happened to come up just now. I only know the Slowbeef playthrough cause I like his content and obviously Cave Story so I already watched his run.
So yea @zxin , other than the SML and Life Capsules, you can get any other weapon in the game and the life capsule in the Plantation with the dog but shhhhh

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:51 PM
Well any missiles or launchers in general but yeah.