DLL Mod Loader + Extra music formats mod

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:31 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Man, I've wanted to have an animated bkMoon in a title screen for years! Thanks a bunch for all the work you do, Clownacy!

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sorry for the bump, but i'm having a problem.
I'm trying to use Bionicobot's Ptcops in Cave Story mod for this mod loader, but it's not working. I even set it up exactly like he did, but it's not working for me. I get the error: "Could not load mod 'PxtoneMod' Windows reports: The specified module could not be found."
Can anyone who got this mod to work tell me how they did it?

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:09 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I just copied the PxtoneMod folder from the zip to the mods folder. Works fine for me.

Sep 30, 2018 at 8:50 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
v1.5.1's been released. Mainly, the music DLL now has pxtone support, and I fixed a crash that would happen when the window regains focus while an org is playing.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:06 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
v1.5.2

A lot of under-the-hood stuff's been done to the music DLL. Internally, now it has a full-blown sound mixer, so adding support for 'ogg SFX' in the future should be easy. I've also swapped out libopenmpt and libogg/libvorbis/libvorbisfile for the less-heavy libxmp-lite and stb_vorbis, bringing the DLL's size from 3MB to 800KB. Fun fact: Cave Story+ Switch uses stb_vorbis as its ogg decoder too.

In addition, I've finally added support for the Ridiculon soundtrack. Extracting Switch updates is an absolute nightmare.

If you're like me, and were horrifically disappointed by the Ridiculon soundtrack, I've also added support for Cave Story Arranged, the fan soundtrack by DM Dokuro. It's not too great right now, since it's not in a loop-friendly format, and none of the remixed jingles are there, but it works well enough.

You can get Cave Story Arranged here. Click 'Buy Digital Album' (you can "pay" $0 to get it for free), and make sure to select the Ogg Vorbis format. You can get it in FLAC if you want, but you'll have to change all the file extensions in 'playlist.txt'. Once it's downloaded, just extract the ogg files to the 'mods/alternate_music/Cave Story Arranged (DM Dokuro)/files' folder.

For anyone interested in making their own DLLs, I've added a project template to the Git repo, supporting both MSYS2/MinGW and Visual Studio.

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:42 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
v1.5.2.1

This is a maintenance release: a bug was found involving weapons appearing far away from the player under certain circumstances. There were also some updates to the music DLL's sound mixer, from early 2019.

This project will no longer receive any major updates: any future releases will merely address bugs. For an enhanced version of Cave Story that's intended to benefit modders, I'd recommend CSE2E instead. UPDATE: CSE2E is dead now, so for users who just want a better Cave Story, I recommend Cave Story: Tweaked, and for users who want a good base for their mods, hopefully CuckyCSE2 comes out at some point.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:59 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
For some reason, the title background mod isn't working for me

EDIT: Never mind, I fixed the issue. The title screen mod has to be the first mod in the list to work

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So I've downloaded the Mod Loader and it works as intended. However, I'm not sure how to convert mp3 files to OGG, so how do I do it?

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:44 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So I've downloaded the Mod Loader and it works as intended. However, I'm not sure how to convert mp3 files to OGG, so how do I do it?
You can just load the mp3 on Audacity and then Export to OGG. Works every time.

Feb 18, 2020 at 6:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
And if you don't have Audacity, you can also do it online.

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:36 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Thanks to your help, I've now gotten the tracks I wanted and converted them. Now regarding the actual tracks, how do I copy them into Notepad?

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
Take your OGG files to the Ogg folder, which is inside the 'Cave Story Wiiware' folder in the 'alternate-music' folder, then modify the playlist.txt and change the name of the song you want to replace with the new one.
Sunshine and Kittens.PNG
It worked for me.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:15 PM
p372509-0-rf1vz5x.png

p372509-1-rfyleua.png

So here's what I've got so far, and I'm unsure if I've done it correctly.

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
So, did you try it?

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM
As the screenshots show, I've copied the OGG files into the folder and I've modified some of the names but I'm unsure if it's actually correct.
p372515-0-p4dmvfp.png

I've tried editing some of the names, though I'm unsure if they'll actually play. Come to think of it, am I supposed to put the files into the "OGG Files go here" document or not?

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:16 PM
I've corrected that now. I'll go check the filenames because they might be written incorrectly.

EDIT: So apparently the error I've gotten says it cannot sound which means that I've implemented the custom music incorrectly. I've even rewritten the names so they're all in lowercase, thinking that would help things.
p372517-0-f1up0fl.png

Last edited: