Did Ballos really die??

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Kaeso said:
After you beat his last form,

He complains about how hot it is and tries to crush you

So he must still exist in some form right?

Well I've thought of an explanation for that.

Ballos's magical power is what is preventing the Seal Chamber from inploding.

The voice you hear after owning Ballos is actually his residual memories kept alive by his last vestiges of magic.

As this magic runs out, the chamber starts to implode, causing the walls to collpase inwards.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Erk, difficult question thread.

At first I thought it was somebody else talking. It just doesn't seem to make much sense... if Ballos' soul had been freed, why would he be in so much pain? I thought that was the plot-point of Hell in the first place. And why is it so hot wherever he is? And if it was him crushing the walls, why would he be talking about how much pain he was in instead of taunting them or something? It doesn't make sense that it would be anybody else really, but the dialogue just doesn't seem to fit.

Dratted ambiguity.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Try playing through that part, noting her expressions. You'll know what I mean then.

Well imagine recovering from amnesia and suddenly remembering all the crazy crap you've been doing (fighting miakid) naturally you would stutter a bit.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:

At first I thought it was somebody else talking. It just doesn't seem to make much sense... if Ballos' soul had been freed, why would he be in so much pain? I thought that was the plot-point of Hell in the first place. And why is it so hot wherever he is? And if it was him crushing the walls, why would he be talking about how much pain he was in instead of taunting them or something? It doesn't make sense that it would be anybody else really, but the dialogue just doesn't seem to fit.

Dratted ambiguity.

He didn't taunt them because he regained a bit of sanity, maybe? I am inclined to think it wasn't he who caused the wall thingy.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Kaeso said:
Did you get that from deceasedcrabs video? cuz hes a stoner.. or is it actually written by pixel she has a cork in her foot?

DeceasedCrab owns everything, literally. You cannot make fun of him.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM
Meh I don't see whats so great about him

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Kaeso said:
Meh I don't see whats so great about him

But... he is so cool! With his references and stuff!

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Uhh I guess he is pretty funny.. and I have him to thank for learning how to save curly..

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:36 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
curly stutering when remembering all that stuff? maybe she remembered quote was a wife beater? ok that was unnecessary :confused:

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:08 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Lunairetic said:
DeceasedCrab owns everything, literally. You cannot make fun of him.
I've watched some of DeceasedCrab videos before, especially the Let's Play Balrog Story ones. (It's like taffy... Taffy missiles of DIE! He he...) By the way, is Me-me-guh the right way to pronounce Mimiga, or is it something else?
JacobX891 said:
the answer to your original question: no. oh no, he's still alive, and you'll have to play my mod to know why XP
...FYI, my mod isn't even in alpha yet.
Yeah, I figured Ballos's soul didn't pass on... Perhaps his soul was absorbed into whatever remained of the Demon Crown in an effort to repair itself?
xristosx said:
curly stutering when remembering all that stuff? maybe she remembered quote was a wife beater? ok that was unnecessary :confused:
Perhaps it was unnecessary, but if Quote ever did do such an act, it's better that he doesn't remember and remains ignorant about the whole ordeal. Such memories could very well fry his mind and drive him towards rampancy...

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM
Justin-chan
Bad Beholder said:
I've watched some of DeceasedCrab videos before, especially the Let's Play Balrog Story ones. (It's like taffy... Taffy missiles of DIE! He he...) By the way, is Me-me-guh the right way to pronounce Mimiga, or is it something else?

Yeah, I figured Ballos's soul didn't pass on... Perhaps his soul was absorbed into whatever remained of the Demon Crown in an effort to repair itself?

Perhaps it was unnecessary, but if Quote ever did do such an act, it's better that he doesn't remember and remains ignorant about the whole ordeal. Such memories could very well fry his mind and drive him towards rampancy...
Edit your location please, its breaking the page.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM
Justin-chan
Edit your mom please, she's breaking the good habits tonight

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Edit both your posts your posts are going right off the offtopic meter

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
xristosx said:
Edit both your posts your posts are going right off the offtopic meter
I laugh at you, because by mentioning the fact that their posts are offtopic makes you a hypocrite, due the fact that a post announcing offtopicness is non-relevant to the factor of ballos being alive or dead.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
DoubleThink said:

Dratted ambiguity.
I think that was Ballos' dialogue in the end.
Recall when the Doctor turned into the red mist, and came to visit Misery...
"You shall not escape..."
Wasn't that in the same format as Ballos'
"It hurts..."
"So... Hot... The pain..."
"Help me... It hurts... So hot..."

That way of displaying text was only used those two times in the whole game right?

Let's see... Assuming it was actually Ballos talking, what would that mean...
If like when the Doctor died, how he turned into the red mist, let's say Ballos survived death and became something else. We know that this final form allows them to retain sanity like the Doctor was able to.

So Ballos has been trapped in a raging state for ages upon ages, and now after all this time his sanity Returns, allowing him to try to process what has happened; also remembering what he did. Finally, let's add in the fact he is actually a good guy; although what his magic well killed off his whole kingdom.
If he's back in control now, what would he do. He wanted Quote and Curly to kill him, and that didn't even work.

The trick is... if you believe this is the end of Ballos; then maybe now that Ballos is in that non-corpreal form without a body [as the doctor was before he took the core], maybe the dead dragged him to his final death, or encased him in a grave?

If you believe this is just the beginning... Ballos' seal chamber may not hold him any longer. He's probably tragically insane, and maybe he caused the chamber to close in on you without even thinking... Or perhaps he was taking all of the skeletons to create a new terrible form? The Seal Chamber would become a place for Ballos' rebirth...

I am kind of at odds with this... First off how and why did all the dead end up in Ballos' chamber. I mean it seems a little odd, are they for Ballos' mad amusement or to remind him? Are they to seal Ballos? Are they for Ballos' rebirth...?

So back to the thread question : Did Ballos really die??
I believe he was alive as he said his lines, "So... Hot..." etc
But the question is, Was the seal chamber designed with the fact in mind that once Ballos' body dies, would his spirit or his non-corpreal form would be dealt with as well? Could Jenka foresee and do something about this turn of events?

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
I always thought it was the spirit of those slain by Ballos's wild magic... I mean, the horrible demi-demon that was holding your soul prisoner for 1000+ years is suddenly gone, with no chance for you to avenge yourself, you'd be pretty frackin' pissed, no?

Or maybe it's the island itself, closing a centuries old wound?

With regards to the Ballos/Undead Doctor Core text style, I think it's a style to denote that you can't see (or are not sure about) who the speaker is. Or perhaps that the voice is either a haunting whisper or an omnidirectional yell...

As for Ballos's (in)sanity, I really just look at it as a classic case of paranoid schitzophrenia with split personality disorders - part of his psyche is tourtured by his actions, and the other is a numb, cold, heartless monstosity... I'm fairly certain that the sane component is what has power in the pre-fight dialogue, and the insane, almost feral, self-protection instincts displayed during the fight are those of a psychopath, showing no regard for anything but it's own survival.

But...
I'm only a highschool psych student, so I could be wrong.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:19 AM
Respwnt
Pozeal said:
I laugh at you, because by mentioning the fact that their posts are offtopic makes you a hypocrite, due the fact that a post announcing offtopicness is non-relevant to the factor of ballos being alive or dead.
And that post makes you a hypocrite as well. And this, me.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:31 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
jcys810 said:
Edit your location please, its breaking the page.
Forgive me for causing problems... Is this better? I can't tell because of the Widescreen of my laptop...