Desert Bus

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:26 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
http://desertbus.org/

24/7 live streaming of a bunch of funny people.
Auctions, prizes, giveaways and donations.
All money goes to Child's Play charity. Last year they raised like $250,000. $250,000 worth of video games and other toys for poor-ass kids.
It's hard to have more fun on the internet.

That is basically what's going over there. Read about it in more detail if you are interested. If I have caught your attention, allow me to explain this in further detail.

Every year, LoadingReadyRun does Desert Bus For Hope to raise money for Child's Play. There are several ways to donate to the charity through Desert Bus:
-Straight up give them money. You can do this on the Child's Play website, too.
-Submit a challenge. It can be for someone in particular or anyone or everyone. You can ask them to do anything, and if you promise to donate enough money for it, they'll do it.
-Bid on an auction. Silent auctions are just like eBay. Live auctions are a big fucking deal because they do them on camera and people bid through the IRC.

Yeah, the IRC. There's a crazy-ass IRC channel on irc.desertbus.org. I am assuming it's #desertbus but it doesn't say on their website. This is how you talk to the Desert Bus guys, and the other fans. The chat moves at the speed of light, though, so don't expect to have a conversation. Of course, if you live in Victoria, you could just drop by to say hello.

The most important feature: the more money they have, the longer they have to keep playing Desert Bus. Last year they went for 5 days straight, switching drivers every 24 hours. This was invented as a method of torture.

Desert Bus is a game where you drive an empty bus from Tuscon to Las Vegas and back again. There is shit all in the way of anything that happens along the way. A bug hits your windshield. The sun goes down, then halfway up, then back down again. Since the journey takes 8 hours one way, you can't blame the developers for not play-testing it.

You don't watch the bus, though. You watch all the crazy things these guys do. Sing, dance, Pokemon battle, DnD, have a phone call with Notch, anything. I really loved watching these guys last year. I spent a lot of time doing it, since they're on all day. This year, since I have a credit card, I'll be issuing a challenge. Not yet sure what it will be.