"Fresh from the Bakery"
p212662-0-giphy.gif

p212662-1-giphy.gif

p212662-2-giphy.gif

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:32 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Those blocks you used in the first screenshot look uncannily similar to the same blocks from Cave Story's Balcony. Also, while I've never played FEZ, someone from the Discord chat said that the trees you used in the fourth screenshot are from it. Inspiration is one thing, but you may be pushing it a little.

I'm also not really sure what to think of you making a Kickstarter for this, but that's just me.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
  • Half of It's Name from Kero Blaster.
  • Another Half of It's Name from The Legend of Zelda.
"Deku" from all reports means wooden doll. The main character is made of wood and shoots things. Deku from LoZ are also made of wood, and Kero Blaster involves shooting things. If using common words in game titles is a crime then every game developer would be arrested. So please get off your high horse.

• Large Game Mechanic from Mega Man.
It is perfectly legal to recreate game mechanics from another game. The game industry has been doing it for its entire lifespan.

• Graphical Art-Style from FEZ.
There is nothing wrong with that. Only if art assets from FEZ are copied, such as the trees (allegedly, since I have never played FEZ).

This looks like a good game, but you've definitely taken a tile or two right out of Cave Story and edited them slightly.
This is just a little comparison of some similar graphics:
I advise you change some of them to avoid any criticism that you've copied Cave Story.
Everything you depicted besides the block is suitably different from cave story to not be a concern. Currently only the blocks are a point of contention regarding CS, everything else is fine.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2016 at 9:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
Wow, this looks pretty cool, nice job so far, just 2 questions though:

What kind of music will it have?(Like, will it sound like Kirby's soundtrack or Cave story's? or something more original?)

Do you plan on making this game free?(Judging from the fact that you want to kickstarter it, i'm not so sure)

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
From the look of the screenshots, it definitely looks like a blend of FEZ and Cave Story. I actually like it; the style is very cute and the colours are nice. I do feel like the tiles come off as more of a direct rip to Cave Story than an inspiration, but that aside, I like the design of the protagonist and hazards (the blocks with faces).

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The trees are actually my original design, I want the game to have a 'blocky' feel to it. I will definitley be changing some of the sprites to look more original down the line. The main character is a wooden toy that has come to life that shoots things. I started working on this game before I heard of Kero Blaster. Thank you for the kind words guys.

Wow, this looks pretty cool, nice job so far, just 2 questions though:

What kind of music will it have?(Like, will it sound like Kirby's soundtrack or Cave story's? or something more original?)

Do you plan on making this game free?(Judging from the fact that you want to kickstarter it, i'm not so sure)

Sorry bro it will not be free. Music will be more original, I hope you like chiptunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 18, 2016 at 3:15 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
It looks cool, but the Kickstarter is unnecessary most likely.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:31 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Those blocks you used in the first screenshot look uncannily similar to the same blocks from Cave Story's Balcony. Also, while I've never played FEZ, someone from the Discord chat said that the trees you used in the fourth screenshot are from it. Inspiration is one thing, but you may be pushing it a little.

I'm also not really sure what to think of you making a Kickstarter for this, but that's just me.

please don't complain about things like this. he said that it was in early stages of development so these will probably change. thank you! <3

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:33 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
please don't complain about things like this. he said that it was in early stages of development so these will probably change. thank you! <3
Sora did not state anywhere that he would change the graphics of those tiles, so it is only right for me to point them out if I think it will be a problem.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:55 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pointless double post
Well I do.
Would I be able to help making the game at all?
I probably wouldn't be able to work on code or anything, (as I'm not skilled enough in any languages to really help much) but I wouldn't mind working on art or just testing.
I'm honoured. After the kickstarter I will need people to test out my game and give feedback. If you want to help right now though, follow me on twitter and retweet some of my screenshots, if you have time. Thanks in advance.

You now have my full and undivided attention.
Glad to hear it.

.[/QUOTE]
Sora did not state anywhere that he would change the graphics of those tiles, so it is only right for me to point them out if I think it will be a problem.

The trees are actually my original design, I want the game to have a 'blocky' feel to it. I will definitely be changing some of the sprites to look more original down the line. The main character is a wooden toy that has come to life that shoots things. I started working on this game before I heard of Kero Blaster. Thank you for the kind words guys.

To be fair, I posted that after you complained about the tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
To be fair, I posted that after you complained about the tiles.
Ah, my bad. You're right in that it wasn't something I could have known about at the time of my first post.

Oh, and friendly reminder that you can edit your posts instead of doubleposting.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
p212765-0-fq3d2ld.png

Ah, my bad. You're right in that it wasn't something I could have known about at the time of my first post.

Oh, and friendly reminder that you can edit your posts instead of doubleposting.
No problem thanks.

Kinda off topic but does anybody know why a kickstarter for a game like One Dog Story might fail? They only made about $300 when they needed $30000. They posted images/gifs of ODS on twitter every week, for four months yet only have about 100 followers. It scares me because a game that looks better than my own, has received no recognition at all.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
@Sora: Please stop double posting. If you need to say something after you've already posted, you should use the "Edit Post" button that appears on the posts you've made.