Defending The Bubbler/Bubble Line

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:05 PM
"Huzzah!"
As I watch my reputation for being a person who starts arguments gets bigger and my coolness points go into the -1000's I'm going to defend this weapon that everybody seems to hate on. When I say that I'm going to defend this weapon I don't mean that its a master piece, because its not, but really quick, lets talk about how to obtain it, you obtain it by getting jelly fish juice in Grasstown/Bushlands and using it on the fire in the town hall of Mimiga village. Ok, with that very short description out of the way, the gun,
Level 1, there is 0 good things to talk about this, its Polar Star-
Level 2, this is when its only a little worse than the Polar Star, its the machine gun with a range about the same as Polar Star level 1 and same damage as Polar Star level 2
Level 3, this, this here is what I LOVE about this gun, its easy to level down, but, BUT, holy crap, ok so, hear me out, when I tried to clear Hard Mode again this gun was #1, because this level, it assumes the defending role, well, until you let go of the button, as far as I'm aware, will one shot any projectile, which is definitely a plus, however, here is this guns biggest downfall: limited ammo, why it has it, I have no clue, but it does, but it recharges fast, still, when you are defending again, lets say, Monster X (in my opinion Hard Modes final boss), defending against his constant fire means, you guessed it, the ammo runs out and you die, meaning, this is only useful (in my opinion) in Grasstown/Bushlands and Sandzone, but, when its useful, its USEFUL, projectile protection and it kills Sandzones enemies fast enough to be done in the 2000s? Count me in! The best part in both easy/normal and hard this guns unleashed power at maximum bubbles is a lot of damage if you can hit half of them, considering Sandzone is missile launcher repellent, this isn't a half bad gun.

However, with it only being useful in these 2 zones and having 2 bad levels, and on top of it all, easy to downgrade, this weapon gets a 2/5 for me, but if you play hard mode 3.5/5.
Even compared to the Polar Star this gun could be considered inferior.

Fuck you Hard Mode Monster X!

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:49 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The Bubbler does make a good defense against the Core when its mouth is closed. And for a beginner's weapon, it's not too bad as an alternative to the Machine Gun in the Sand Zone, if you're trying to go for the Spur the first time.

Otherwise, it's a pile of ass.

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:41 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I just confess that i, too like the bubbler. I always liked the shield aspect and tried to find places where it is vaible.

the bubbline can while the annoying gaudi before monster X. Level 3 weeks to have the farthest reach of all the weapons in the game.

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:40 AM
"Huzzah!"
I love the bubbler, it's technically a secret weapon though so there aren't any stages designed for it so that's why I think many people find it useless.
Also, when it's leveled up to level 3, I'd say it's a respectable weapon in every way.
Do you have a counter-argument? Let me know.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:46 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:57 PM
War criminal
Trying all 3 levels out from my save file in my copy of CS3D and the damage is exactly the same in vanilla. I would love to take photos or even record it happening, but close up photos on the 3DS isn't most people's forte...

Like this attempt on me snapping a photo of myself testing the Level 3 Bubbler damage...
23o59y.jpg

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:00 AM
Hoxtilicious
I like it (at level 3), it's good for defense.
Some people would argue that it is not needed because if you would actually be better at the game it would be way more efficient to use other weapons.
For that reason you'll likely not see it in any hell speedruns (though the idea of a Bubbler only speedrun is pretty tempting).
The Bubbler can be a safer choice in some fights and wanting to be efficient is a subjective decision, so it's really up to your preference.
I don't get why anybody would hate on it though, why get so worked up about a secret gun in a game?

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:18 AM
War criminal
I don't get why anybody would hate on it though, why get so worked up about a secret gun in the game?
Compared to the other secret guns, Snake, Spur, and Nemesis, it's definitely the least appreciated of the bunch, and with good reason. It's definitely not the worst, if you consider Nemesis Level 3, though.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
I dislike the Snake more than I dislike the Bubbler, but, I also don't like the Nemesis traded for the Blade
though the idea of a Bubbler only speedrun is pretty tempting
thats next on my bucket list, Im gonna try to get under 40 minutes

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM
"Huzzah!"
And uh... the Snake is basically an objectively better version of the Polar Star, so ...
It is better than the Polar Star in my opinion, and I like the Fire ball as well, but I just never liked the Snake, I dunno why

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Because it isn't very satisfying to shoot it?
well, that's part of it, Snake also goes through everything, it doesn't feel satisfying killing and enemy

Oct 13, 2019 at 8:32 PM
Hoxtilicious
And uh... the Snake is basically an objectively better version of the Polar Star, so ...

I think you could have worded that better or atleast provided more context. Good or bad (and therefor also better or worse) are entirely subjective, it's implying you're actually either valueing something specific or you have a end goal in mind (both of which are subjective things, they can differ for everyone). In this case, this could simply be the damage of the weapon or rather the efficiency. So the Snake is objectively more efficient than the Polar Star, it's also objectively better for getting through the game faster. However without any context provided, there is no such thing as objectively good or bad.

If you are like RageRunner then the Snake might be objectively worse for you because you value something different. Which also brings me to the next question:
@RageRunner: You rather like to have a weapon that is satisfactory to shoot, don't you?

Oct 13, 2019 at 10:00 PM
"Huzzah!"
If you are like RageRunner then the Snake might be objectively worse for you because you value something different. Which also brings me to the next question: @RageRunner: You rather like to have a weapon that is satisfactory to shoot, don't you?
that and generic guns like the Polar Star are some of my favorites, Spur, being my favorite, deals high damage but it slow, I like it cause its slow and high damage

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:47 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I haven't been very in tune with the community, as it were, since I spend my time elsewhere, but I don't recall the Bubbler actually being complained about much. It's a great defensive weapon at Lv 3, protecting from many kinds of stray bullets and clearing out enemies that can't even hit you with its bouncing properties, if used carefully. It also deals okayish damage at that level if used in a linear fashion (read: spammed to heck), though rather inaccurately and not nearly as well as some of the other guns.

If anything, its main issue is how little of an experience buffer it has. Doesn't take much to get stuck with the Lv 2 machine spread, which isn't the worst backup weapon to have but recharges ammo too slowly to be very safe. Still, I wouldn't call it all that bad!

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:18 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The Bubbler is a pretty good weapon, all things considered. It's difficult to get over Level 1, but it gets a lot better. I really like the force-field aspect of the Level 3 Bubbler, and if shit hits the fan, you can easily release the button to send an armada of bullets. Overall, it really shines with weak enemies and stray bullets. The limited ammo is a sore point, however. The Snake, however, is a dog-shit weapon. It is very slow and has a laughably short range.