Deaths in games that make you feel stupid.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Post your most humiliating video game deaths here. Mine was probably in 7 Days a skeptic when i accidently opened the airlock without an EVA Suit on.
Hopefully this thread won't fall into the abyss :(.

Edit:Wrong area of the forum :D *Facepalm*

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Heheh...

Oho, this'll be fun.

In Halo 3, me and my friends just glitched it so I had the "Ban Hammer", and I used it on the bridge in Last Resort, which then went crazy berserk and smacked me outta the map at 763 MPH.

In the replay, I was standing under the bridge during one frame, and in the very next frame I'm already 50 miles out of the map.
It was so fast that it looked like instant teleportation.

And does it just have to be our own deaths?
Because I've watched friends die in funnier manners.... :D

And one of the Admins will just move this, if you ask them.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hmm. A common one for me is when I'm playing call of duty (online), I cook a grenade so it will go off right after I throw it, then I miss and it bouces back and blows up in my face ;_;

It also sucks because everyone in the server gets to see that you killed yourself with a grenade.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:00 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheheh....

This should help kick-start the thread:
{Yeah, they're not my deaths, but the thread says deaths that make me feel stupid, and I feel stupid watching this =D}

This is why Halo 3's such an awesome game :D

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:24 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Any death not involving apples or spikes in IWBTG.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Any implausible or improbable death like one in You Have To Burn The Rope.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:24 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hehe. : ) Nice Topic.

I thought about it for a moment and then it hit me. There are three of them that all come to mind as being the worst ones. These three things are hands-down, the absolute dumbest, most stupid and ridiculous things I have ever done in all of my video game playing years:

1. Wizards and Warriors III: Kuros: Visions of Power - NES.

This game is fun, but quite difficult and very frustrating considering how much stuff you need to do in order finish the game. Not only is it challenging and full of extremely hard tests filled with nasty platforming-metroid-esque platform jumps, but you only have a set number of lives and when they are gone, it's game over. The game itself is not really all that short either, even if you know what you are doing. I'd say at least 5 hours of constant playing and there are no save points, no passwords, nothing. You absolutely have to finish the game in one sitting.

So, with all that in mind, I did enjoy the game, enough to try and finish it multiple times. However, on one of these subsequent playthrough's I managed to make it all the way to Malkil, whose always been the final boss of every installment in the series, who has a bit of dialogue with Kuros before the final battle ensues. However, this particular time I was speeding through the text, mostly because I had read it all before and I wanted to start the battle already. But I forgot one very important thing about that final conversation between Hero and Villain:

Malkil asks Kuros to let bygones be bygones and asks him to join him in an option to rule the world. The default answer is set to "no", and thus by button mashing through the dialogue, I selected "no". Guess what happens? : ) Malkil immediately kills you and you get a nice, big fat game over screen. You lose. Doesn't matter if you have extra lives in stock or extra continues. Nope. You choose the darkside, you choose to have a nice quick game over sequence for your five hours or more of work. Talk about a pisser! I felt so stupid for speeding through the dialogue.

2. Double Dragon - Arcade

This one still erks me even today. It's really something I'll never forgive myself. As many of us may have played this arcade classic, most of us know the basic gist of the story, but for those who don't. Billy Lee's girlfriend is kidnapped by a gang of thugs run by a nameless guy known only as the "Shadow Boss".

Well, unless you are "The Wizard" you'll mostly likely spend some time and some quarters getting to the end of the game, especially on the last stage of the game with all the cheap places to fall off, get stabbed, or shot down by the final boss, a man with a machine gun.

Well, in this particular situation I had worked very hard and spent some money playing Double Dragon from beginning to end, mostly by myself and under normal circumstances, I would have finished the game by myself and been a happy camper. However, this was a public arcade and someone else wanted to step in and play the role of Player 2, Billy's brother, Jimmy Lee. Well, I did most of the work and this kid stepped in pretty much right at the final confrontation with a room full of baddies and Machine Gun Willy. Together we defeated the last boss and we both awaited the ending of the game. For me at least, it was the first time I had ever seen the ending to Double Dragon, so I was pretty pumped about it, not to mention that it was technically my first Arcade game ever beaten.

But! To my surprise, the second player, Jimmy Lee turns out to be the friggen' Shadow Boss and because he is controlled by the second player, the game sets up a final duel: Billy vs. Jimmy in the quest to be victorious in battle and win the love of "Billy's Girlfriend, Marian", as she is watching the fight and will kiss the victor of battle.

"So, bring it on! It's me vs. you, nameless kid who just stepped up to the machine only coughing up 25 cents... You're going down!"

So I pound him with my fists, and kick him in the teeth. I throw him over my shoulder. And then I see it! The baseball bat! It's a rush to get there first and we are both heading toward it at the same time. He picks it up first, but before I can use it, I jumpkick his ass back down the floor. "No way you are getting this, buddy!" I pick up the baseball bat and "wham! Take that!" He gets up. "Wham again!" Meanwhile he is trying to move away from me and inching ever so closer to the bottom portion of the stage. "Wham!" Another hit with the bat. This guy has to be almost dead, right? No way he can come back from this! No way, not possible. And then it happens...

I move too far down the screen trying to chase him and fall off the freaking stage into a pit of spike below and die instantly.... It's over, and before I can even realize what has happened, Marian is free and "my in-game girlfriend" is kissing Jimmy Lee, the very Shadow Boss who kidnapped her in the first place! Gah! I was pissed and I had every right to be. But it was my own stupid fault for dying in the manner and I've never forgiven myself for that absolute blunder of a mistake...

3. Indigo Prophecy - Xbox

This one is short and sweet, but what makes this death very stupid is how it related to real life and things you should not do in real life let alone a game world. So I'm playing as Lucas, the main character of the story and I have just awakened in his apartment. Lucas makes a comment that he has a splitting headache and near the bed is a bottle of pain killing medicine. So I decide to take the medicine and sure enough it helps relieve some of Lucas' anxiety and the calmness meter goes up a bit.

So some time passes and I'm looking around in Lucas' apartment for other cool stuff to interact with and I start going through his fridge. Sure, enough there are more items to consume, including stuff like milk, which give him even more piece of mind. And then I find some alcohol and decide, "Hey, why not. I'll probably get a meter boost from this as well." So I pop the top off of it and gulp it down...

And then I die and the message said something along the lines of "And I found out the hard way that mixing pain killers and alcohol is never a good idea..."

I think I really did slap my head for that one. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Of course that might happen, sure as it would happen in real life! : ) It really did make me feel like an idiot.

-Thomas

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:41 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Whenever I get killed by a trap in I wanna be the guy.

If it looks safe, it's a trap. Even the offical website says so.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:08 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Every Nethacker knows the term YASD (Yet Another Stupid Death), and has probably suffered some of these, like:
- As a knight, failing to mount the pet pony twice
- Kicking the wall
- Forgeting to use the E-word (that's a major one)
- Drinking out of a fountain and atracting water moccasins (FUCK those bastards)
- Attacking a floating eye directly, thus getting frozen and bit to death by a fucking newt
- Going down the stairs while burdened and low on health
- Praying excessively
- Genociding mind flayers using an unidentified scroll of genocide (for those who don't know it, if the scroll is cursed, it summons a number of the chosen monsters instead)
- Or, for that matter, genociding dwarfs (it's really easy to forget that your character is a dwarf, because s/he is represented by @ rather than h)
- Doing absolutely anything about a cockatrice (touch it and you get a rather nice statue)
- Underestimating an ant
And many more. Really, play the game and you'll comprise your own list really fast.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Any death found in my sig.
x.x;

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow. Didn't think this thread would get going so fast! Woo hoo for random thoughts!

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
A couple from Shadowgate, with a dash of Dungeon Magic

For Shadowgate-

The first death that seemed so self-degrading was when I tried punching (Hitting) the green slime from the coffin after I tried using all of the weapons & even the sphere on it. It should've died from the sphere, since the slime is, in the game's own words, warm to the touch &...
the sphere actually freezes the lake, not to mention it puts out fire
Furthermore, after the unarmed attack on the slime, it said I tried to move past it, when I obviously didn't. Regardless, I still died with a painless slimy death.

The 2nd was right in the final room, when I tried to use the completed Staff of Ages against the Warlock Lord. I got fried by his own staff instead. Fire stream absorption for the lose!

The worst part of it all was that I actually watched a set of all of the deaths in Shadowgate before I played the game myself. Not even that knowledge helped me stay alive from start to finish.

For Dungeon Magic-

In a certain cave, the Dragon King was marked like one of the map exits (When using one of the map spells), so when I go there & attempt to speak to him, he says, "Leave now, or I shall exterminate you." & he only gives me about half a second to GTFO. Needless to say, my legs were slower than my body & I die instantly.

Also, when I use a certain Faerie alignment spell to warp to another realm...
This spell combo on the lowest spell symbol set: ≡=
...I was shot by one of the local dragon-like creatures there & killed on the spot in a single blast. If I had cast the Water based SpellShield spell on myself, I would barely be able to survive one shot, but two would still do me in. I only went up there anyway out of a random spellcasting attempt the 1st time, but afterwards, it's because...
I don't know the water parting/entry spell to get to the tower in the middle of the water, which is where the game is hinting at me to go next.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM
"Huzzah!"
Any Slow death.
The ones i got time to say "that was preety lame..." before "respawn" (for the lack of better term)

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think i have another... Walking off edges in almost any platformer and landing in spikes/instant death trap and not jumping soon enough.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
2 minutes ago: getting run over by monster x

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:58 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Dieing in battle in FF9, then accidentally savestating instead of loadstating at the load screen. I was forced to load a file from an hour before. Three cutscenes and forty minutes of grinding lost.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:12 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
More Advertisment?

After you play this, any death in the original Super Mario World will make you feel stupid.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:07 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
That's an incredible video, VoidMage. I imagine that any death in any game would make you feel ashamed of yourself after beating all that. O_-

Sadistic Mario Brothers is always good for a laugh. (potentially NSFW) I believe there's a Sadistic Mario Brothers World counter-part out there too if you feel like digging for it, but that video is fun to watch just for the guy's reaction to all the traps. Sometimes it's silence, sometimes it cursing, sometimes it's even funnier. That's not me playing, by the by.

Hmm, worst video game death out of all the video games I've played. Well, when I played Cave Story for the first time I wanted to see how far I could jump, right out of the starter cave. Landed squat on some spikes, instant KO. I didn't fall for The Door later on, at least.

Also, any time I pin myself on the last mine in minesweeper, and any time I miss beating by own hell run by a fraction of a second. Gaaah, so close!..

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
haha yeah!
The first time I ever played cave story I landed on the spikes so many times.