Custom Bosses And Enemies?

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Life keeps going, but my temper doesn't.
"..."
So it seems that I am the only one who does not know how to make custom bosses and enemies. If you do not know what i mean

Bosses

If you look at some mods they have boss bars for normal enemies, or if you look at Cavern Story there is one Balrog boss with a custom attack pattern. How do I 1. Add a boss bar and 2. Make custom attack patterns?

Enemies

If you look at the King mod by Noxid (iz epic, try it out nao) you see 2 different enemies - The giant robots that shoot low-ranged bullets and those rolly-thingies in the cave.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

(Oh, and those flying things that shoot bullets, if you didn't know, are certainly those fish in the plantation with different sprites)

So how did Noxid make those custom enemies?

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:38 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
There is this thing we use
It's called Assembly

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
<BSL is what makes the boss health appear, it can be used for pretty much anything that can be killed, so if you make entity, attach an event number to it, and set the NPC flag to "run event on death", use <BSL using the event number you set for it, and then add an event with the number to have it run once you kill the "boss".

And the Balrog in Cavern Tale is actually in the code, it's just never used in the original game, I didn't actually program it's attack pattern.

Fatih120 said:
What's assembly
If it's something everyone uses,
FML as a modder.
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/beginners-guide-to-cavestory-assembly.2305/

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:15 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Assembly also known as ASM is a programming language and it is quite complicated, it is a low level language so implementing things is very difficult and takes a lot of steps to do simple actions. It is quite hard to learn but there are tutorials on this forum and around the web.

To get to the ASM that makes up Cave Story you have to first download a piece of software called 'ollydbg' this will allow you to open up the Doukutsu.exe and edit the the ASM that makes up the game.

If you want to add new content to the game such as enemies and bosses it will require ASM, again, it is quite hard, especially if you have no previous knowledge about programming, however, if you want to learn it feel free to. :mahin:

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
EnlightenedOne said:
<BSL is what makes the boss health appear, it can be used for pretty much anything that can be killed, so if you make entity, attach an event number to it, and set the NPC flag to "run event on death", use <BSL using the event number you set for it, and then add an event with the number to have it run once you kill the "boss".

And the Balrog in Cavern Tale is actually in the code, it's just never used in the original game, I didn't actually program it's attack pattern.

http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/beginners-guide-to-cavestory-assembly.2305/
beta balrog . in caveeditor it showss this

balrog(shooting)

edit: caveeditor lets you mod the enemys without effort :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
QuoteHax said:
caveeditor lets you mod the enemys without effort :D

You have absolutely no idea of what we are even talking about.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You can mod enemies with cave editor
You just can't perform huge changes or make new enemies without assembly