Curly's Past

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Really? I could have sworn that there was even more changed dialog in this version.
There were probably a few corrections, but nothing major I think.

Well, I'm sorry to say, but just because you've either been saving an idea, or because it's an unused element from another mod, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea.
I don't think it's that big a deal. Even if you fall for it once, it's not that different from missing one of the fan powered jumps that take you up there, and once you know, you will of course check the map and fireball your way through.

Yes, but it's still annoying not to be able to evade them. The Cave Story engine was never meant for that.
And why not? They are essentially acting like deathtrap spikes, only fancier.

I really shouldn't have to do that. The command tower NEEDS another save point somewhere. I died during the assasin fight, and started al the way back at the sanctuary.
How many games let you restart immediately before the final boss fight?
Not many. Take Ocarina of Time. You can save right in front of Ganondorf's door, but you'll still reappear at the bottom of the tower and after the fight you will have to escape the collapsing tower.
This is not at all different.

Meh, it's alright.
Hehe... I guess it isn't that big a deal then, is it?

But I do see how that section might evoke a groan or two from players... like I said, I just am not sure how much shorter it should be (or what to replace it with... back to just a straight path of sand?).

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
And why not? They are essentially acting like deathtrap spikes, only fancier.
I haven't played this mod yet, but fancier deathtraps in the form of monsters makes the protagonist lose HP, and with higher HP means it takes longer to get killed, right? Or won't Curly enough HP to survive those traps?

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Veteran Member
Well I've just gone and playtested and what do you know? I was able to just walk through them. So yeah, water does not remotely slow you down enough to prevent you from making it.
And at any rate, yeah two hits from these guys mean death.

On another note, I realized just now that I forgot to make underwater bones, so the ones I placed are inexplicably waterless. I'll have to fix that.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM
The Eternal Darkness
*falls off chair in shock*
Forgot to make underwater bones?! This gives me an idea, and I already have a tileset to torture with this idea. Thanks, Duke Serkol!
Idea:
Create the Sea Zone in a future mod of mine!

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
*lol* You're... welcome I guess?
:mrgreen:

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM
The Eternal Darkness
*gets back on chair after standing on head for longer than an hour*
The tileset already exists, all that is needed is to change the tile types and then I'm done with that. Well, I just hope I remember to make the protagonist able to breathe underwater... otherwise it's "You have drowned. Want to try again?" all the time.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
EDIT: Oh nice... the board automatically merged my new post with the previous one. Ok, let's fix that. New post:

Hey guys,

it took me longer than I would have liked, but I've finally gotten around to re-uploading the mod.

For anyone who may be interested, the link can as always be found in the first post. As well as here. Enjoy!

And here's the previous post (which is now kind of irrelevant, but still...):

Uh... this is embarassing, but I had kind of forgot about uploading the new version of the mod. Still, some good came of it, because I thought of a couple minor things that I probably wouldn't have bothered with if it required another update.

So, what's new:
Obviously, the Pyramid now has its own music, thanks to HaydenStudios and Wedge of Cheese.
Those bones are no longer inexplicably without water.
The General has an additional line to clear up something that could have led to confusion concerning the timeline of events.
For some reason, Kaeso made the defeat of the Assassin team set a flag that changes the line "Restored Health" to "Restored Health and Missiles". I don't see this flag being used for anything else, but rather than chance removing it, I just changes missiles to ammo.