Curly's Past

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:30 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
You know, now that I ponder that, that might be a good idea. Alright, yeah.
Great ^_^

That's kind of an ambiguous question. I believe that my answer to your question, as you suggested, would be best kept to personal messaging.
Yeah, probably for the best.

Wel, I don't know now if we need to think of something like that anymore. Cause w have the first three years, year four is confirmed to be a breather water level. Year six will be finishing off the killer robots, year seven will be enjoying your days with the Colons
But we do need some kind of objective for the player to pursue in year seven, even if it's something simple and innocent like year four's fishing.

Then again, if battling with the killer robots was the ONLY thing you did in the next chapters, it might get boring with noe sidequests, and it might be good to have extra things making sure no year is too short, so I guess we should keep that in mind.
Yes, after all already year three only ended with Curly infiltrating their base, while before that, in the same year, we had the whole deal with Omega which also involved exploring the city destroyed by Ballos, a good variety of content.

Hehe. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Haha, I see :mrgreen:

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:10 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
But we do need some kind of objective for the player to pursue in year seven, even if it's something simple and innocent like year four's fishing.
Good idea. There will be a kind of silly goal. Something trivial that someone in survival mode wouldn't give a flying crap about. Now, what might be an idea...
Yes, after all already year three only ended with Curly infiltrating their base, while before that, in the same year, we had the whole deal with Omega which also involved exploring the city destroyed by Ballos, a good variety of content.
Yes, there will need to be a variety.

I just got done playing through the whole thing again, and have an even clearer basis on this mod's current weaknesses. Just to let you know, it will probably be a month or two before I release my first continuation demo, but here are some changes that I intend to make:
1) One rather drastic change that I'm going to make, is that most of the maps are going to have a huge overhaul. I just REALLY think that level design is this mod's greatest weakness.
2) There will be more life capsules, and the mod in general will be easier. At some point, I was thinking of making this an easy mod since Curly's trials are not supposed to be as great as those Quote encounters, but since Kaeso originally wanted this to be a harder mod, I'm going to compromise, and make it about the same difficulty as Cave Story.
3) The ancient cave will have the layout of the first cave, and GreaseMonkey will be replaced with the Hermit Gunsmith.
4) You will wake up in the Sand Zone with the Colons.
5) Since the ancient cave will be directly linked to the mimiga village, that tunnel linking the two in Kaeso's mod will be removed.
6) I am very much considering making the crobar a modded version of the blade. Kaeso said he/she wasn't going to do this, much to the dismay of everyone else.
7) The dialog will be changed in certain places. Not all of it, but some of it.
8) I intend to change the jail escaping level in many ways similar to how you described your changes.
9) The current sprite sheet and face picture for Arthur is absolutely unacceptable. I'm going to see if I can get Noxid's permission to use the sprite sheet and face picture for Arthur from King's Story, Strife and Sacrifice.
10) The current face picture in this mod for Arthur will be refitted onto King, who will appear throughout most of this mod as the number-two of the mimiga village.
11) Jack and Toroko will also make appearances in this mod.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I am looking forward to this mod. I think it's interesting to see how other people thought about what happened in the past/future/present of Cave Story characters.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Veteran Member
Good idea. There will be a kind of silly goal. Something trivial that someone in survival mode wouldn't give a flying crap about. Now, what might be an idea...
I've got an idea... but I'd rather wait and PM it to you.

I just got done playing through the whole thing again
Oh goody. Now if you're not bored of the thing (and I'm assuming not, since you want to remake it) you can, upon playing my version, fully appreciate the changes :)

At some point, I was thinking of making this an easy mod since Curly's trials are not supposed to be as great as those Quote encounters, but since Kaeso originally wanted this to be a harder mod, I'm going to compromise, and make it about the same difficulty as Cave Story.
Sounds good to me. Easier than Cave Story would disappoint people, but it's demonstrated several times that Quote is a better fighter than Curly. Even forgetting about all the times she's left unconscious or relies on him for movement while she's just shooting, there's the evident fact that he defeated her in a direct confrontation (and she thought she was protecting the Colons too, so she was clearly giving it her all).
In my upcoming release the difficulty of the Tunnel has been reduced significantly, but it's still more dangerous than anything found in the original CS, bar Hell.

3) The ancient cave will have the layout of the first cave, and GreaseMonkey will be replaced with the Hermit Gunsmith.
4) You will wake up in the Sand Zone with the Colons.
I like that... but what of the teleporter that isn't there in Cave Story? In the original, the first cave is a dead end, only connected to Mimiga Village.

6) I am very much considering making the crobar a modded version of the blade. Kaeso said he/she wasn't going to do this, much to the dismay of everyone else.
Uh... don't know about that. I didn't really see any need for Curly to get the sword. And how are you going to deal with King's spirit being in it? Change the sprite? Or have it max out at level 2 perhaps?

7) The dialog will be changed in certain places. Not all of it, but some of it.
You may want to wait and see what I did with that ;)

9) The current sprite sheet and face picture for Arthur is absolutely unacceptable.
I thought apart from the puppy dog eyes the sprite was pretty much okay (though of course he's mostly a recolored King).
The mugshot I changed with one that I found in this thread and edited a bit (the original looks... stoned :pignon2:).

However...
I'm going to see if I can get Noxid's permission to use the sprite sheet and face picture for Arthur from King's Story, Strife and Sacrifice.
You know what would be really cool? If the two mods could be made to be compatible with each other storyline wise (meaning they could both happen in the same continuity, without contradicting each other).
Unfortunately, even if you could get Noxid to let you in on his plans, they probably involve King defeating the leader of the robots, so that's in al likelihood impossible to conciliate with what we're planning here.

Still, wouldn't it be nice? An entire "expanded Cave Story universe" of mods rather than mutually exclusive ones...

10) The current face picture in this mod for Arthur will be refitted onto King, who will appear throughout most of this mod as the number-two of the mimiga village.
11) Jack and Toroko will also make appearances in this mod.
Mh... Toroko might still be a baby at this point. But no objections, and I'm definitely in favor of including younger King and Jack.

I am looking forward to this mod. I think it's interesting to see how other people thought about what happened in the past/future/present of Cave Story characters.
Good to hear :mrgreen:

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Based Member
I've got an idea... but I'd rather wait and PM it to you.
Sure.

Oh goody. Now if you're not bored of the thing (and I'm assuming not, since you want to remake it) you can, upon playing my version, fully appreciate the changes :)
Looking forward to it.

Sounds good to me. Easier than Cave Story would disappoint people, but it's demonstrated several times that Quote is a better fighter than Curly. Even forgetting about all the times she's left unconscious or relies on him for movement while she's just shooting, there's the evident fact that he defeated her in a direct confrontation (and she thought she was protecting the Colons too, so she was clearly giving it her all).
In my upcoming release the difficulty of the Tunnel has been reduced significantly, but it's still more dangerous than anything found in the original CS, bar Hell.
Yep. And I'm eager to see what you've done with the jail escape level.

I like that... but what of the teleporter that isn't there in Cave Story? In the original, the first cave is a dead end, only connected to Mimiga Village.
Don't worry, I'll work something out.

Uh... don't know about that. I didn't really see any need for Curly to get the sword. And how are you going to deal with King's spirit being in it? Change the sprite? Or have it max out at level 2 perhaps?
First off, I'm thinking that realizing the usefulness of this weapon will not come until year five, so there might be more need of a powerful weapon by then. As for managing level 3, I'm thinking of just making it a slightly more powerful version of level two, and none of that fancy flying stuff that appears with king's spirit. I'll obviously need assembly hacking to do this though.

You may want to wait and see what I did with that ;)
Ok. I will make sure that I have seen all of your changes before I make any of my own.

I thought apart from the puppy dog eyes the sprite was pretty much okay (though of course he's mostly a recolored King).
The mugshot I changed with one that I found in this thread and edited a bit (the original looks... stoned :pignon2:).
If you have an improved version, then maybe I'll use that for the younger king.

However...
You know what would be really cool? If the two mods could be made to be compatible with each other storyline wise (meaning they could both happen in the same continuity, without contradicting each other).
Hehe, you just read my mind. I had a few plans on making a few nods to some other mods.

Unfortunately, even if you could get Noxid to let you in on his plans, they probably involve King defeating the leader of the robots, so that's in al likelihood impossible to conciliate with what we're planning here.
True. We'll see how well it works out.

Still, wouldn't it be nice? An entire "expanded Cave Story universe" of mods rather than mutually exclusive ones...
Yes, it would be very nice.

Duke Serkol:Mh... Toroko might still be a baby at this point. But no objections, and I'm definitely in favor of including younger King and Jack.

HaydenStudios: Glad you're in support of King and Jack. As for Toroko, if we were to make the events of this mod line up with those of King's Story, then Toroko would be around, Cause at the beginning of that mod, Toroko is around and you can talk to her. So that won't be a problem.

Apparently, this forum software didn't like how many quotes I had, so the last one had to be changed. That's why it took me so freaking long to get this post working.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
I'm eager to see what you've done with the jail escape level.
Ah, sorry to disappoint, but not really much. I just moved the detection boxes.

Don't worry, I'll work something out.
You know, I'm not sure whether or not I should tell you to play Iron Bond. If you do, there's a chance you may not care to work on this mod anymore. Or decide to wrap it up at year six/seven.

First off, I'm thinking that realizing the usefulness of this weapon will not come until year five
So how would that work? Only by year five you unlock the ability to power it up?
Also something else I'm not clear about: why is it either this or the crowbar? Why can't they both be in the game?

If you have an improved version, then maybe I'll use that for the younger king.
I can definitely see that working.

Hehe, you just read my mind. I had a few plans on making a few nods to some other mods.
Should I get busy and play some in particular? ;)

Glad you're in support of King and Jack. As for Toroko, if we were to make the events of this mod line up with those of King's Story, then Toroko would be around
If we are to, then yes certainly.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Based Member
Ah, sorry to disappoint, but not really much. I just moved the detection boxes.
Oh, don't worry, that's fine. I'll redesign that level my own way then.

You know, I'm not sure whether or not I should tell you to play Iron Bond. If you do, there's a chance you may not care to work on this mod anymore. Or decide to wrap it up at year six/seven.
There's a mod of that title? I searched, and didn't find it, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

So how would that work? Only by year five you unlock the ability to power it up?
Also something else I'm not clear about: why is it either this or the crowbar? Why can't they both be in the game?
I was thinking that a some point you would be deprived of your weapons, and you would be cornered by a robot, then Curly would say something like, "Stay back! I'm warning you! Stay back!" Then throws a phantasm of the crowbar, then it kills the robot that was about to kill Curly, then she's like, "Hey, that worked pretty well! Why didn't I try that earlier?" And it is usable as a weapon there after. I got the idea from someone on the original thread. I can't remember who it was that said it, but it was someone on the original thread. As for why they can't both be in the game, are you referring to the crowbar and the blade? It wouldn't make much sense to have them both, because they'd handle generally the same way.

Should I get busy and play some in particular? ;)
Hehe. Now that I think about it, I was actually only planning on making nods to King's Story and Jenka's Nightmare. I'm not sure if many other mods which are based on Cave Story are really worthy quality wise of a nod. While WTF Story is the greatest mod ever, it would be difficult to make a nod to it. As for my recommended list of mods, I'd say:
#1 WTF Story (by GIRakaCHEEZER)
#2 Jenka's Nightmare (by Shmitz. [unofficial continuation by MagicDoors])
#3 King's Story, Strife and Sacrifice (by Noxid)

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Veteran Member
There's a mod of that title? I searched, and didn't find it, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
There sure is:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/2398/
It's pretty much... year 8. With the part about Curly finding the Colons squeezed in early on (before a major time skip once you get to Sand Zone, I presume).
And no, I have no idea what's going on with not-Toroko.

And it is usable as a weapon there after. I got the idea from someone on the original thread. I can't remember who it was that said it, but it was someone on the original thread. As for why they can't both be in the game, are you referring to the crowbar and the blade?
Ah, I see now, you don't want to replace the crowbar with the blade, you want to make the crowbar a weapon that behaves as the blade.
Okay then, sounds pretty cool :)

While WTF Story is the greatest mod ever, it would be difficult to make a nod to it. As for my recommended list of mods, I'd say:
#1 WTF Story (by GIRakaCHEEZER)
#2 Jenka's Nightmare (by Shmitz. [unofficial continuation by MagicDoors])
#3 King's Story, Strife and Sacrifice (by Noxid)
Is that because WTF story is... nonensical? It sounded like that from the description. If so, I wouldn't see how you could tie into it either.
The other two I did play. If you haven't, I'd reccomend A Lost Land. It's a pretty good sequel (probably the best among the completed and English ones).
There's also Mimiga Army which follows the bad end. A darn good mod but it kind of falls apart near the end.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Based Member
There sure is:
http://www.cavestory...ad/page__st__20
It's pretty much... year 8. With the part about Curly finding the Colons squeezed in early on (before a major time skip once you get to Sand Zone, I presume).
And no, I have no idea what's going on with not-Toroko.
I'll start playing that mod as soon as I finish this post.

Ah, I see now, you don't want to replace the crowbar with the blade, you want to make the crowbar a weapon that behaves as the blade.
Okay then, sounds pretty cool :)
Glad you approve.

The other two I did play. If you haven't, I'd reccomend A Lost Land. It's a pretty good sequel (probably the best among the completed and English ones).
There's also Mimiga Army which follows the bad end. A darn good mod but it kind of falls apart near the end.
A lost land was the first one I ever played. I think it's okay, but the storyline is very weak. The Doctor and the Demon Crown came back, even though you killed Ballos in Cave Story? Somehow Ballos is back even though you defeated him in the first game? As for the mimiga army, it OKAY, but no spectacular. Then again, I haven't played it the whole way through.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:05 AM
Veteran Member
I'll start playing that mod as soon as I finish this post.
Have a blast ^_^

A lost land was the first one I ever played. I think it's okay, but the storyline is very weak. The Doctor and the Demon Crown came back, even though you killed Ballos in Cave Story? Somehow Ballos is back even though you defeated him in the first game?
Agreed... at least about the Doctor. I always had my doubts about Ballos' death, considering that he still talks and tries to kill you afterwards.

As for the mimiga army, it OKAY, but no spectacular. Then again, I haven't played it the whole way through.
I like it, but it went way overboard with the final bosses (yes, plural. VERY plural).

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Based Member
Have a blast ^_^
I played some of the way through it, but lost interest becauseL:

1) It's a japanese mod, so I didn't know what anybody was saying.
2) A LOT of cutscenes and stuff were basically a repetition of those at their parts of cave story.

I really don't have much of a motive to continue playing that mod unless someone translates it to english. So I don't think I'll be abandoning this mod.

Agreed... at least about the Doctor. I always had my doubts about Ballos' death, considering that he still talks and tries to kill you afterwards.
If Ballos hadn't been defeated, then would Misery have asked Balrog to save Quote and Curly's lives, and would Balrog have obliged? Probably not. And in a lost land, you pretty muc hkill him the same way as before. The only destruction that's different is using Misery's Charm to destroy the Demon Crown permanently.

I like it, but it went way overboard with the final bosses (yes, plural. VERY plural).
You've motivated me to finish that mod... kinda. I defeated the Doctor, and got up to the helicopter, got that one ending, but when I decided to progress through that current, and meet those mimigas, I seemed to be at at dead end. Anyway, The Mimiga Army s above average, but not exceptional. It suffers from a few glitches, and you're able to go off the edge of some maps.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Veteran Member
I played some of the way through it, but lost interest becauseL:

1) It's a japanese mod, so I didn't know what anybody was saying.
2) A LOT of cutscenes and stuff were basically a repetition of those at their parts of cave story.
That bothered me too, yes. But it stops being like that after GrassTown, once you gather Jenka's dogs. That's where Quote comes in and things get awesome.

If Ballos hadn't been defeated, then would Misery have asked Balrog to save Quote and Curly's lives, and would Balrog have obliged? Probably not.
But wasn't it the crown, not Ballos, that had control over Misery and Balrog? I'm assuming it hadn't been restored yet.

And in a lost land, you pretty muc hkill him the same way as before.
Yeah, that's true.

Anyway, The Mimiga Army s above average, but not exceptional.
Agreed.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Based Member
That bothered me too, yes. But it stops being like that after GrassTown, once you gather Jenka's dogs. That's where Quote comes in and things get awesome.
Hrm... I'm going to need a lot of motivation for wanting to continue playing that mod.

But wasn't it the crown, not Ballos, that had control over Misery and Balrog? I'm assuming it hadn't been restored yet.
After you defeated the Doctor and the crown was destroyed, Misery intercepted you in your attempt to destroy the Core, and threatened to kill Sue. So the curse was still in effect. But when you killed Ballos, the curse had been fully lifted.

Oho! I see you have uploaded your unofficial release. I'll download and play it right now.

EDIT: Whoops, I was mistaken.

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Veteran Member
Hrm... I'm going to need a lot of motivation for wanting to continue playing that mod.
How far did you get anyway?
You should know GrassTown is nearly fetch quest free, so it's relatively quick to get over with.

After you defeated the Doctor and the crown was destroyed, Misery intercepted you in your attempt to destroy the Core, and threatened to kill Sue. So the curse was still in effect.
Or she didn't think Quote capable of actually killing Ballos and would rather not plummet with the island if the silly robot finished destroying the core.

After all, isn't it implied that it was Ballos who wanted to drop the island (probably in the hope that it would kill him) since it stops falling once he's dead? I always figured the core doesn't so much keep the island afloat but rather gives it sufficient strenght to resist Ballos' attempts to destroy it.

Oho! I see you have uploaded your unofficial release. I'll download and play it right now.

EDIT: Whoops, I was mistaken.
The last thing I need to do before I can put it up, is finish tweaking the "final boss fight". Unfortunately I've run into a whole lot of unforseen problems (if you see my last post in the "quick modding questions" thread, you'll know what I mean).

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi,
it's been forever since I've been here. Allot has changed.

Where is the most recent version of this mod?

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
My version will be available soon. The most recent version of the original you can find using the link in the first post... but it's not recent at all.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Mh... maybe if I switched around the two rooms (changing their visualized map name, objects, scripts etc...)

This happened awhile ago and may have already been answered, but you can change the start point of the character, and what event runs on start. Go into the Game Settings through CE, the section where you remove the pixel requirement. In that folderbox thing, there is a group of options that change the x and y position of the character on start, the map you start in, and what event is to be ran.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Ah thanks, but unless that can be done also with Cave Story +, it's not going to be of any use (we don't really need to make those changes to the mod, it was just being considered to make it start properly in CS+)

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Based Member
How far did you get anyway?
You should know GrassTown is nearly fetch quest free, so it's relatively quick to get over with.
I actually bit the bullet and have gotten to the part where Quote leaves on the rocket. I can't figure out what to do next. I've tried to go on the rocket, but it stopped, and now it won't go anymore. Professor Booster showed up after I did a few things and probably told me what needs to be done, but I don't know since it's a Japanese mod. Anyway, a lot of the things played out in different ways from which I plan on doing them in year eight. Also, the fight with Quote was so freaking lame.
Or she didn't think Quote capable of actually killing Ballos and would rather not plummet with the island if the silly robot finished destroying the core.
Maybe. But really, threatening to kill Sue? I don't think Misery would do something like that if the curse was lifted.

After all, isn't it implied that it was Ballos who wanted to drop the island (probably in the hope that it would kill him) since it stops falling once he's dead? I always figured the core doesn't so much keep the island afloat but rather gives it sufficient strenght to resist Ballos' attempts to destroy it.
That is implied.

The last thing I need to do before I can put it up, is finish tweaking the "final boss fight". Unfortunately I've run into a whole lot of unforseen problems (if you see my last post in the "quick modding questions" thread, you'll know what I mean).
Ok.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
I actually bit the bullet and have gotten to the part where Quote leaves on the rocket. I can't figure out what to do next. I've tried to go on the rocket, but it stopped, and now it won't go anymore. Professor Booster showed up after I did a few things
You need to find the Booster 0.8 for him to fix the rocket. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it anywhere, so I just hacked my save for it.
Even then, I couldn't figure out how to get the best ending :\

Anyway, a lot of the things played out in different ways from which I plan on doing them in year eight.
Oh, well then I'm all the more curious to see what you're planning since this matched up pretty close with what I imagined (apart from the start... seriously what was up with not-Toroko??)

Also, the fight with Quote was so freaking lame.
Yeah, I was expecting something like the fight against Vile in Megaman X.

Maybe. But really, threatening to kill Sue? I don't think Misery would do something like that if the curse was lifted.
Misery and Balrog aren't very nice people. Balrog in particular was especially gleeful as he boasted to Jenka about conquering the surface and shoved the red flower down Toroko's throat. Which again, is why the regular best ending bums me out. I'm okay with him getting off the hook in the end, but actually going to live with the protagonists? really?
You could question then why they even bother saving Quote and Curly in the end. Gratitude I guess.
At any rate, she gave Quote a choice, to either renounce destroying the Core (which Quote was trying to do because he had been told this would restore the transformed Mimigas) or else...