Curly's Past

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Yeah, I'm remember reading that Shmitz never said a word on the continued mod, even after his return.

Like I said, if it's at all possible I'd like to contact Kaeso, out of politeness, but failing that and unless several people here find it objectionable, I will soon enough post the new version.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, I'm remember reading that Shmitz never said a word on the continued mod, even after his return.
Actually, if you look on Shmitz's profile feed, you'll see that he made a minor aknowledgement of his mod's revival. But anyway, I think we have no hope of contacting Kaeso.

Ah, too bad. How about changing their hit points period (without any conditions)? Think I can do that with Cave Editor?
I don't know of any way to do that, but it might be possible.

Are you sure that is the case? Because I gave them different dialogues to speak upon dying (I actually rather like that) and over the course of playtests, I noticed they were told to me in different orders.
I do think it rather annoying to have a text box pop up while you're fighting, yes. But I haven't had any problems with the order of execution.
I just replayed the assasins fight, and you're right, there is no health bar. Guess I was thinking too much about the gaudskateers. But I think it would make some sense to give them each a health bar. This is obviously going to require some assembly hacking though.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Veteran Member
Actually, if you look on Shmitz's profile feed, you'll see that he made a minor aknowledgement of his mod's revival.
Ha! I guess that counts as an approval :)

But anyway, I think we have no hope of contacting Kaeso.
Yeah, I'm giving it a few more days (two or three) to see if anybody comes forth with the means to contact Kaeso, then I'm going ahead and posting it.

I don't know of any way to do that, but it might be possible.
Mh... I'll try asking in the quick questions thread.

I do think it rather annoying to have a text box pop up while you're fighting, yes.
...I think you just gave me an idea. Not sure if it'll work out, but it's worth a try.

Edit: Eh... as I feared, it doesn't work very well. I'll stick to text box pausing the fight.

it would make some sense to give them each a health bar. This is obviously going to require some assembly hacking though.
Definitely, yes.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I hope it wont have a crap load of hidden secrets that are rather hard to get to, like in Jenka's Nightmare.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Veteran Member
Uh, I don't remember Jenka's Nightmare having many hard to find secrets... but anyway, if you're talking about my revision, then no, the few things that I added shouldn't be very hard to find.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Based Member
I think he meant my whole future continuation of this mod in general, not just your additions. No, I'm not planning on having any secrets that are insanely hard to find. HOWEVER, I am planning on having there be three different endings to this, and I do intend for a small amount of secret finding to get the best ending. But it shouldn't be anything too hard to figure out, and it should be all the easier to figure out if you've saved curly in Cave Story, which probably everyone playing this mod has. In one of the endings, you drown after the fight with the core, after sacrificing your life to save Quote. In another one, you panic after Quote destroys the core, and die when the island falls. And in the third one, like Kaeso intended for this mod to end, you get found by Quote in the sacred grounds, and defeat Ballos. Preventing your death after the fight with the core might not happen if it's that person's first playthrough, but I'm planning for it not to be TOO hard to figure out how to prevent it. :) Speaking of Jenka's Nightmare, yeah. Some of the secrets in Jenka's Nightmare are pretty insane. I've yet to figure out where all the pieces to the puzzle are, and how to get the Nemesis X without hacking the game. Also, I've only gotten three out of the four endings it has. And the only reason I found the sky blade was cause of the guide. So I'm not going to make the best ending in this mod that hard to get.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Veteran Member
I am planning on having there be three different endings to this
Don't you mean four? :awesomeface:

And in the third one, like Kaeso intended for this mod to end, you get found by Quote in the sacred grounds, and defeat Ballos.
Did Kaeso really plan to go that far? Having the player go through all of Cave Story from Curly's perspective seems somewhat incompatible with the "years" structure (if anything because the last year alone would have to be as long as Cave Story).

...not that I'd have anything against that! ;)

Speaking of Jenka's Nightmare, yeah. Some of the secrets in Jenka's Nightmare are pretty insane. I've yet to figure out where all the pieces to the puzzle are, and how to get the Nemesis X without hacking the game.
Ah, but that's Revived. That's a different story altogether. Those two secrets were really hard to find indeed (and yet you need at least one of those if you don't want the last boss battles to last a few hours).

And the only reason I found the sky blade was cause of the guide.
Really? I thought the Sky Blade was almost impossible to miss (like you'd have to deliberately choose NOT to explore your surroundings)

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Based Member
Don't you mean four? :awesomeface:
Hehe. If that was a joke, then I get the joke. But I do mean three.

Did Kaeso really plan to go that far? Having the player go through all of Cave Story from Curly's perspective seems somewhat incompatible with the "years" structure (if anything because the last year alone would have to be as long as Cave Story).

...not that I'd have anything against that! ;)
Yes, that was what Kaeso intended to do. He/she says that somewhere earlier on this thread. And the parts of Cave Story with Curly don't take up THAT much of the game, but it probably would be the longest chapter of them all. As for being compatible with the years structure, I'm planning to have the whole killer robot contraversy solved by the end of year seven, and for you to meet Quote at the beginning of year eight. (If you don't think there should be something in between the beginning of year eight and meeting Quote)

Ah, but that's Revived. That's a different story altogether. Those two secrets were really hard to find indeed (and yet you need at least one of those if you don't want the last boss battles to last a few hours).
Ok. And with the last battles being long, you are right.

Really? I thought the Sky Blade was almost impossible to miss (like you'd have to deliberately choose NOT to explore your surroundings)
Well, I guess that we perceived that level differently.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Veteran Member
Hehe. If that was a joke, then I get the joke. But I do mean three.
Shouldn't there be an ending that you get when Quote comes and tells you you don't have to keep exploring the Labyrinth because he's found Booster and Curly spends the remaining part of the game watching over the Sakamotos as well as King and Toroko? ;)

I'm planning to have the whole killer robot contraversy solved by the end of year seven, and for you to meet Quote at the beginning of year eight. (If you don't think there should be something in between the beginning of year eight and meeting Quote)
Not necessarily but... isn't one year before Cave Story a bit too recent for the situation with the robot army to be resolved? Jenka made it sound like it was quite a while ago when the Mimigas ate the Red Flowers and, after destroying the robot army, descended to the surface.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Based Member
Shouldn't there be an ending that you get when Quote comes and tells you you don't have to keep exploring the Labyrinth because he's found Booster and Curly spends the remaining part of the game watching over the Sakamotos as well as King and Toroko? ;)
Hehe. So many times I've pictured someone responding that way, and I never thought it would actually happen. Since my fourth ending is not really a canonnical one, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to make my added engind one of the achievable ones in this mod. You'd have to do a lot of persuading to convince me to make an ending for this mod that lines of with my fourth ending. But I'm touched that you see that much value in that ending.

Not necessarily but... isn't one year before Cave Story a bit too recent for the situation with the robot army to be resolved? Jenka made it sound like it was quite a while ago when the Mimigas ate the Red Flowers and, after destroying the robot army, descended to the surface.
I believe that that has crossed most everyone's mind except Kaeso's. This mod already suggests that killer robots are threatening the village since when you first arrive, all the doors are locked, and the mimigas seem to be at war with them. And with you infiltrating the robot base suggests that the killer robots are still active. So that major plot hole is already there. I do not intend to completely remove the whole killer robot thing and drastically change the story, as that would totally deviate from Kaeso's original vision, but changing the conflict of the first seven years would fill in a major plot hole. If you have an idea for what to replace it with, then I might consider it. If not, then I'll have to build upon Kaeso's Curly/Killer robot conflict.

Here's a conversation that took place earlier on this thread:
Leix: Fighting surface bots? I coulda sworn that the war was over waaay longer than that. I mean, when Doc got there the ex-crown bearer was already completely rotted!
And he's talking about your discussion about the King sprites.
Good criticism? I guess the mod dosen't have enough to criticize, go make some more of it!

Kaeso: Maybe a murder of crows pecked his bones clean? If you to make your mod/game too realistic then it limits the potential and it will be less fun so don't expect everything to be bound to the original story. As for the war ending before then I don't think so. The way Curly reacted when you went into her house in the original CS made it seem like she just fought off a bunch of robots 5 minutes ago.

Leix: I honestly don't think that realism limits potential.
She didn't react as though she fought off a bunch of robots five minutes ago, because then she wouldn't be likely to talk to you before shooting you.
Ah, whatever. It's all opinionated.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Hehe. So many times I've pictured someone responding that way, and I never thought it would actually happen. Since my fourth ending is not really a canonnical one, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to make my added engind one of the achievable ones in this mod.
Why not? It's not like this mod will be any more canonical. They are both fanmade and Kaeso did say in that quote you brought up that canon would not be an obstacle to inventiveness ;)

But I'm touched that you see that much value in that ending.
Sure do. I was always bummed out by both endings. In one Curly goes MIA (and is presumably dead), in the other Quote leaves all his friends and goes to live with Curly (understandable and awesome) and... Balrog?? Seriously? "Eat it! Eat it!" Balrog? "This time the surface will be ours" Balrog?
I kind of miss the fight against the Core though (love that music) as well as Curly's sacrifice and subsequent rescue. After all, we really wouldn't feel so much for her character if not for that.
But we're getting off topic again :awesomeface:

I believe that that has crossed most everyone's mind except Kaeso's. This mod already suggests that killer robots are threatening the village since when you first arrive, all the doors are locked, and the mimigas seem to be at war with them. And with you infiltrating the robot base suggests that the killer robots are still active. So that major plot hole is already there. I do not intend to completely remove the whole killer robot thing and drastically change the story, as that would totally deviate from Kaeso's original vision
Me neither. Clearly if the mod is continued Curly needs to meet them again. But that doesn't necesseraily have to encompass years 4 to 7.

but changing the conflict of the first seven years would fill in a major plot hole. If you have an idea for what to replace it with, then I might consider it.
'fraid not. That's why I felt satisfied with just wrapping things up at year 3 after all.
We'd have to come up with other stuff like having to chase off Omega, I guess.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Based Member
Why not? It's not like this mod will be any more canonical. They are both fanmade and Kaeso did say in that quote you brought up that canon would not be an obstacle to inventiveness ;)
Just because I brought up a quote supporting the sacrifice of story for gameplay doesn't mean that I support it myself. Even then, implementing this would not only sacrifice story, but also gameplay, as Curly does pretty much nothing in the events of the fourth ending. Also, speaking of not being in support of sacrificing story for gameplay, one of the changes I'm going to make is make Curly wake up with the Colons.

Me neither. Clearly if the mod is continued Curly needs to meet them again. But that doesn't necesseraily have to encompass years 4 to 7.
True. This probably isn't what yuo meant, but I actually plan the remainder of her struggle against the killer robots to encompass years 5 to 7. I've got to say, that big robot shown in that cutscene looks like Kaeso intended for you to duke it out with him near the end of year seven. Kaeso was saying that he/she was developing a water level for chapter four, and infact included some dialog from year four that never executed which had Curly asking the Colons what they wanted for lunch, to which they replied, "Fish!" So then Curly is supposed to go get some fish. I actually have a clear picture on how a water level for chapter four would take place, and I think it would serve well as a breather year during which you do not hear from the killer robots, then only making us have to execute three more years of struggling against the killer robots. But really, we'll only have to think up the events for years five and six, because I also have a clear picture on how the events of year seven would take place. So I think we can do it. :)

We'd have to come up with other stuff like having to chase off Omega, I guess.
I'm doubtful that it would make sense for us to see Omega again. As Jenka says, it only comes around once every five years. But I think we'll be able to occupy three years with battling against the killer robots.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Threads split, as it's looking like it'll probably be okay for this to go ahead, and a couple extra posts moved to the right place :critter:

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:11 AM
Hey, don't forget that Curly in the Blood Stained Sanctuary wakes up after Quote goes through the block-falling part.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Based Member
Threads split, as it's looking like it'll probably be okay for this to go ahead, and a couple extra posts moved to the right place :critter:
Hmm, well, I'm not sure if I was quite ready yet to start a new thread. While Duke Serkol was going to just post one update to just wrap the current version up, my intention was to start a new thread so that my continuations would be downloadable in the firs post. I guess I'll have to create yet another thread when I'm ready to continue this mod though. At this point, it's more ideas and development. I guess keeping this in the showcase section might be acceptable, since he's planning on releasing this update.
Hey, don't forget that Curly in the Blood Stained Sanctuary wakes up after Quote goes through the block-falling part.
Who ever said we forgot that?

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Nobody, I just wanted to make sure you knew. :mrgreen:

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Just because I brought up a quote supporting the sacrifice of story for gameplay doesn't mean that I support it myself. Even then, implementing this would not only sacrifice story, but also gameplay, as Curly does pretty much nothing in the events of the fourth ending.
She goes through the blown up egg corridor... and it could well be that the Sakamotos were at some point attacked and she had to protect them.
Just so we're clear on this... I've got no problem if you don't want to include the fourth ending in this. Just saying I see no reason not to :)

Also, speaking of not being in support of sacrificing story for gameplay, one of the changes I'm going to make is make Curly wake up with the Colons.
That's going to make year 1 very short *lol*
Just kidding of course.

So then Curly is supposed to go get some fish. I actually have a clear picture on how a water level for chapter four would take place, and I think it would serve well as a breather year during which you do not hear from the killer robots, then only making us have to execute three more years of struggling against the killer robots.
Personally, I'd have such a "breather year" also between 6 and 8. It'd probably fit a tad better within what Cave Story players perceive as the events leading up to the game.

I'm doubtful that it would make sense for us to see Omega again. As Jenka says, it only comes around once every five years.
I said "like having to chase off Omega", of course I didn't mean he'd be back once more before Quote turns up.
Rather I was suggesting some event that is not referenced in Cave Story but does not contradict with it.

Hmm, well, I'm not sure if I was quite ready yet to start a new thread. While Duke Serkol was going to just post one update to just wrap the current version up, my intention was to start a new thread so that my continuations would be downloadable in the firs post. I guess I'll have to create yet another thread when I'm ready to continue this mod though.
That's cool with me.
With this split, I too can post my renamed, new version of the mod in the first post, so people can readily find it (if this was still the same thread, I wouldn't be able to even put it in the first page). I'll do that after I'm finished tinkering with the HPs of the Assassins.

So thanks, Double Think!

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Based Member
She goes through the blown up egg corridor... and it could well be that the Sakamotos were at some point attacked and she had to protect them.
Just so we're clear on this... I've got no problem if you don't want to include the fourth ending in this. Just saying I see no reason not to :)
Not a bad point... I'll still probably not implement it though.

That's going to make year 1 very short *lol*
Just kidding of course.
I'm thinking about adding a little something into year one so that it won't be too short. I've also considered merging it with what currently is year two and substituting something for that year. I'll be sure to make it work.

Personally, I'd have such a "breather year" also between 6 and 8. It'd probably fit a tad better within what Cave Story players perceive as the events leading up to the game.
I'm thinking that the breather would be through the end of year seven, to the beginning of year eight. There will be some level of celebration and happiness between the victory over the killer robots, and meeting Quote.

I said "like having to chase off Omega", of course I didn't mean he'd be back once more before Quote turns up.
Rather I was suggesting some event that is not referenced in Cave Story but does not contradict with it.
Oh, sorry. I see. Yeah, I don't have any ideas for another year of that type, but any ideas you have will be much appriciated.

That's cool with me.
With this split, I too can post my renamed, new version of the mod in the first post, so people can readily find it (if this was still the same thread, I wouldn't be able to even put it in the first page). I'll do that after I'm finished tinkering with the HPs of the Assassins.
So thanks, Double Think!
I guess that the split went to a good cause.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Veteran Member
I'm thinking that the breather would be through the end of year seven, to the beginning of year eight. There will be some level of celebration and happiness between the victory over the killer robots, and meeting Quote.
Why not make it the entire year seven then?
Also do you have any plans for the crown? As far as I can understand, Quote and Curly were not succesful in killing its owner. Or is this something we should discuss over PMs? (Not to spoil everybody)

Oh, sorry. I see. Yeah, I don't have any ideas for another year of that type, but any ideas you have will be much appriciated.
We'll see if I can think of something :)

Also, it's really not a good idea to call me Duke Nukem, because I'm all out of bubble gum and you know what that means.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Based Member
Why not make it the entire year seven then?
You know, now that I ponder that, that might be a good idea. Alright, yeah.
Also do you have any plans for the crown? As far as I can understand, Quote and Curly were not succesful in killing its owner. Or is this something we should discuss over PMs? (Not to spoil everybody)
That's kind of an ambiguous question. I believe that my answer to your question, as you suggested, would be best kept to personal messaging.

We'll see if I can think of something :)
Wel, I don't know now if we need to think of something like that anymore. Cause w have the first three years, year four is confirmed to be a breather water level. Year six will be finishing off the killer robots, year seven will be enjoying your days with the Colons, and Year eight will coincide with the events of Cave Story. The only thing we really aren't sure about how it's going to play out is year five, which I think should envolve a close encounter with the robots. Then again, if battling with the killer robots was the ONLY thing you did in the next chapters, it might get boring with noe sidequests, and it might be good to have extra things making sure no year is too short, so I guess we should keep that in mind.

Also, it's really not a good idea to call me Duke Nukem, because I'm all out of bubble gum and you know what that means.
Hehe. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I'll stop now. Don't wanna face the boot. :)