Curly's Past

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You need to find the Booster 0.8 for him to fix the rocket. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it anywhere, so I just hacked my save for it.
Even then, I couldn't figure out how to get the best ending :\
I couldn't figure that out either. Anyway, I don't think that mod was as great as you seemed to suggest. Guess I just have a higher standard for CS mods.

Oh, well then I'm all the more curious to see what you're planning since this matched up pretty close with what I imagined (apart from the start... seriously what was up with not-Toroko??)
I seriously don't know what is up with that mimiga either. And most of the things I will be doing differently are going to be a surprise when I release it.

Misery and Balrog aren't very nice people. Balrog in particular was especially gleeful as he boasted to Jenka about conquering the surface and shoved the red flower down Toroko's throat. Which again, is why the regular best ending bums me out. I'm okay with him getting off the hook in the end, but actually going to live with the protagonists? really?
You could question then why they even bother saving Quote and Curly in the end. Gratitude I guess.
At any rate, she gave Quote a choice, to either renounce destroying the Core (which Quote was trying to do because he had been told this would restore the transformed Mimigas) or else...
The only reason they're not nice is cause of the Demon Crown. Curly: "I thought you guys were just jerks, but I guess it was all the Crown's fault!"

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I couldn't figure that out either. Anyway, I don't think that mod was as great as you seemed to suggest. Guess I just have a higher standard for CS mods.
A matter of taste perhaps? I enjoyed it a whole lot :)

most of the things I will be doing differently are going to be a surprise when I release it.
Great!

The only reason they're not nice is cause of the Demon Crown. Curly: "I thought you guys were just jerks, but I guess it was all the Crown's fault!"
Eh, I'm not buying that. Balrog even helps you get out of the Labyrinth in which Misery has thrown you, while the crown is still perfectly fine.
They have to obey orders but outside of that, their minds are their own. Which would mean Balrog was, in fact, being a complete a-hole with Toroko.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Based Member
A matter of taste perhaps? I enjoyed it a whole lot :)
Perhaps... One thing that also lead me to that conclusion was that I was not really praising A Lost Land and The Mimiga Army as much as you were.

Yeah, my vision for this thing is pretty epic, let's just hope that I'll be able to follow through with making it so.

Eh, I'm not buying that. Balrog even helps you get out of the Labyrinth in which Misery has thrown you, while the crown is still perfectly fine.
They have to obey orders but outside of that, their minds are their own. Which would mean Balrog was, in fact, being a complete a-hole with Toroko.
Mmm... I guess this is yet another thing that Pixel left for the player to decide. I, personally, think that the Crown drove them to be the jerks that they are throughout most of the game. Only on rare occasions when the crown bearer is not present, then rarely they might do a good deed. Like lifting a boulder, or helping your mother's dog make it home safely.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Based Member
Feb 6, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Veteran Member
Perhaps... One thing that also lead me to that conclusion was that I was not really praising A Lost Land and The Mimiga Army as much as you were.
I do agree that they have problems, especially Mimiga's Army with its final bosses (but also Lost Land with its simplicistic story).

personally, think that the Crown drove them to be the jerks that they are throughout most of the game. Only on rare occasions when the crown bearer is not present, then rarely they might do a good deed. Like lifting a boulder
But that defeats your own argument: Misery thought the Doctor was dead when she threatened to kill Sue.

or helping your mother's dog make it home safely.
Uh?

EDIT: Ah, I see now.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM
Based Member
But that defeats your own argument: Misery thought the Doctor was dead when she threatened to kill Sue.
My impression was that she's just still not herself so long as Ballos yet lives, due to his soul permeating the crown.

Anyway, we briefly brought this up in PMing, and I'm posting it here for discussion for others. What do you think should be the names of the individual Colons? I mean, if Curly is going to spend eight years raising them, they'll have names by which she adresses them, right? What do you think their names should be?

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM
Based Member
Uh
Semicolon
Parenthesese
Ampersand
Asterisk
Square Brace
Good ideas. I guess another to consider would be Tilde... Thanks!

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:18 AM
Based Member
Well, thanks. I'm liking the sound of Ampersand, Tilde, and Asterisk. Some of the others listed don't sound like unique and barely heard in such terms keyboard characters. I know that Quote is common, but it just sorta sounds right in his case. Ya know what I mean? I might use Square Brace for the fourth one if I can't think of a better name, but I don't know...

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
I believe I've come to a solution concerning my problem with the final fight. Not quite sure yet.
If I have, then all that's left is one final round of playtesting (from start to finish) before I can release the mod.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Based Member
Good! I look forward to seeing what you've done.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Veteran Member
Glad to hear it. The wait won't be much longer :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Based Member
Alright. Downloading it now...

EDIT: Oh, hey. That isn't really the best place to upload files. Mediafire is a lot better, cause there's no "UPGRADE TO PREMIUM OR WAIT TWENTY SECONDS!" crap. Whenever you upload anything else.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Veteran Member
Ah, I went with MegaShare because I'm told it has larger maximum file size (not that this mod would exceed MediaFire's, obviously).

But yeah, next time I'll use that, thanks :)

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Based Member
So, here's what I think so far. The altered dialog for when Jenka retrieves Curly is better, but it might also make sense to have her face picture appear. Jenka calling Curly a niosy robot nistead of child also makes more sense, since she was able to recognize Quote as one too. Although, I don't know why you removed the "-Anonymous" from the end of the letter. I think it should have stayed there. "his is a good place to
hide things!" Perhaps an acceptable addition. I like the changes you made to the dialog with the unconscious Quote. I might embelish a smidge on your embelishment in my continuation though, ;). "Explosives should work.
But I'm fresh out of those." Thank you. The repeating word always bothered me XD. I'm glad that you moved the item aquisition to BEFORE the got item jingle, so that the sound effect plays before hand. That glitch always bugged me. The Dialog with the father before he dies is improved slightly as well. The extra range of face pictures really surprised me. Pretty nice to have a variety since now the whole game revolves around her. Mind if I use them in my continuation? However, I do think that you over use the smiling and mouth closed face picture. Really, it's hard to get her not to use the smiling and mouth open picture when she's having a normal conversation. I think it should mainly be used when she has an extra element of calmness in the situation, but is still happy. For example, I've had a scene in my mind for some time with Curly tucking the Colons into bed, and using such a face picture. Since she wouldn't want to be too loud as they're winding down and about to go to sleep, but Curly is still happy. Anyway, your "Surprised D:" face picture is pretty good, but I just feel like it's missing something. I don't know what, but just something that makes it look less believable. Maybe it's in the eyes, even though they're already improved. Anyway, nice job with those. But I feel, at times, that you over use it as well, in which cases the regular mouth open would fit better in my opinion. The same thing applies to your sad face with eyes open in which cases I thought the eyes closed picture was more fitting. Moving on. I see you don't have the door anymore for the epilogue room, but you can still press the down arrow key where it used to be, and get to that room. And I couldn't help but notice that you changed that room's design. Oh, but there's some problem with the door the exit of Curly's house not opening. Both in cutscenes, and when you exit the room through that door. Also, I see you fixed the jerky camera glitch by adding the <FOM0016 command. That was a rather n00bish mistake that Kaeso never fixed, despite everyone notifying him/her on the original development thread. But I think you might have missed it at certain points earlier on. In the tunnel to the Mimiga village, the life capsule in the bottom right corner of the area with the first three basils is gone! D: I know you placed it elsewhere instead of deleted it, but it now makes those first three basils have less of a point. I woudn't be too bad to have a life capsue both in your new location on that map, AND where it was previously, since this mod is a harder one. But anyway, the tunnel wil be removed in my continuation. The sprite for Atrhur is quite improved, but I beg to differ with the face picture. The dialog with him is improved though, sands the over usage of your custom face pictures. The improved dialog with the other robot in jail is good too. I actually had the jail level memorized well enough to not cross paths with any gards, but I have faith that you moved the motion triggers closer to the gards, so thank you for doing that. I've just entered grass hills, and am giong to stop for now. I have real life matters to attend to right now before I continue, but I generally like your changes! Oh, I almost forgot, those pipes in the ancient cave saved me a lot of stress.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Veteran Member
HaydenStudios Wrote: "The altered dialog for when Jenka retrieves Curly is better, but it might also make sense to have her face picture appear."
I considered it... but since Curly has her eyes closed and we haven't been properly introduced to Jenka yet, I decided to leave it that way.

HaydenStudios Wrote: "Jenka calling Curly a niosy robot nistead of child also makes more sense, since she was able to recognize Quote as one too."
Yes, I didn't want her lying to Curly if not by omission (notice that she says "a noisy one" not "a noisy robot")

HaydenStudios Wrote: "Although, I don't know why you removed the "-Anonymous" from the end of the letter. I think it should have stayed there."
I didn't see the point to it... I mean, who actually writes a letter like that and signs him/herself "anonymous"? It seems more plausible that the person writing just didn't care to add his/her name.
Notice also that I changed it so that the letter says he/she should be off the floating hell hole... so it could still be someone we've met in Cave Story *coughgunsmithhermitcough*

HaydenStudios Wrote: "
"his is a good place to
hide things!" Perhaps an acceptable addition.
"
Perhaps? :pignon:

HaydenStudios Wrote: "I like the changes you made to the dialog with the unconscious Quote. I might embelish a smidge on your embelishment in my continuation though, ;)"
Haha, cool, I look forward to it!

HaydenStudios Wrote: "
"Explosives should work.
But I'm fresh out of those." Thank you. The repeating word always bothered me XD. I'm glad that you moved the item aquisition to BEFORE the got item jingle, so that the sound effect plays before hand. That glitch always bugged me.
"
Those are some of the later changes I made as I hadn't even noticed until several playtests... but yeah, it's good to have those fixed.

HaydenStudios Wrote: "The Dialog with the father before he dies is improved slightly as well. The extra range of face pictures really surprised me. Pretty nice to have a variety since now the whole game revolves around her. Mind if I use them in my continuation?"
Glad you liked those! And sure, go right ahead ^_^

HaydenStudios Wrote: "However, I do think that you over use the smiling and mouth closed face picture. Really, it's hard to get her not to use the smiling and mouth open picture when she's having a normal conversation. I think it should mainly be used when she has an extra element of calmness in the situation, but is still happy."
The "wide open mouth smile" is the face that immediately comes to mind when I think Curly Brace, so that's why it's fairly prominent here. I like to imagine her as a generally hyper and cheery gal.

HaydenStudios Wrote: "your "Surprised D:" face picture is pretty good, but I just feel like it's missing something. I don't know what, but just something that makes it look less believable. Maybe it's in the eyes, even though they're already improved. Anyway, nice job with those. But I feel, at times, that you over use it as well, in which cases the regular mouth open would fit better in my opinion."
The regular mouth open I consider to be her pensive look, not really showing startled surprise.

HaydenStudios Wrote: "The same thing applies to your sad face with eyes open in which cases I thought the eyes closed picture was more fitting."
I wanted to have two gradations of sadness... plus, there are situations (like when she realizes she has no choice but fight the enraged father) where closing her eyes would be kind of crazy (it'd leave her open to a sudden attack).

HaydenStudios Wrote: "Moving on. I see you don't have the door anymore for the epilogue room, but you can still press the down arrow key where it used to be, and get to that room."
Yup, it's now an easter egg.

HaydenStudios Wrote: "And I couldn't help but notice that you changed that room's design. Oh, but there's some problem with the door the exit of Curly's house not opening. Both in cutscenes, and when you exit the room through that door."
You mean you are able to get out but the door sprite doesn't disappear?
Mh... is that something I caused? Or was that glitch already present and I missed it?
Did it happen in just one year or several? (as you know, Curly's home is actually a separate room for each year)

HaydenStudios Wrote: "Also, I see you fixed the jerky camera glitch by adding the <FOM0016 command. That was a rather n00bish mistake that Kaeso never fixed, despite everyone notifying him/her on the original development thread. But I think you might have missed it at certain points earlier on."
If you don't mind making a list, I won't mind fixing that ;)

HaydenStudios Wrote: "In the tunnel to the Mimiga village, the life capsule in the bottom right corner of the area with the first three basils is gone! D: I know you placed it elsewhere instead of deleted it, but it now makes those first three basils have less of a point. I woudn't be too bad to have a life capsue both in your new location on that map, AND where it was previously, since this mod is a harder one."
That was one of the first changes I made. The old placement was EVIL.
I realize that this leaves the harder passage where it originally was pointless... but I'm okay with that. If some players want to make their lives more difficult by going down there, they're free to do so, otherwise they can just ignore it.

HaydenStudios Wrote: "The sprite for Atrhur is quite improved, but I beg to differ with the face picture."
Well, I like it :p
In fact, it's the sprite I'm still not completely happy with (he seems a tad too grouchy).
At any rate, I don't really take credit for the face pics, I just mixed up some that were posted early on in the original mod's thread (the eyes of one, the mouth of another...).

HaydenStudios Wrote: "I generally like your changes! Oh, I almost forgot, those pipes in the ancient cave saved me a lot of stress."
Thanks, and you're welcome ^_^

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This is most definitely awesome. I assume more will be added to the mod later (since there is a Curly's House Year 4 map that hasn't been used)?