Curly's Panties?

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:49 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Was this supposed to be a joke by Pixel?

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
ColdCallerloppy said:
or was this done cause most Japanese people "do things"?
The fuck

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ColdCallerloppy said:
Was this supposed to be a joke by Pixel, or was this done cause most Japanese people "do things"?
You might need to be specific when you say "do things". Americans "do things" too, you know.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM
War criminal
Panties don't always have to do with hentai. And I'm pretty sure that Pixel was trying to keep Cave Story as E10+ as possible even before it's been pitched by Nicalis.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM
War criminal
That deep in the gutter, huh?

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIfSV7EfiGk

Legitimate answer?
It's a joke.
And please don't fucking bunch Japan with Sex just because "HENTAI OMG SO PERVERTED"
If he were to put them in because of the latter, it's a cultural thing. (^Watch video above^). Japan is just much more tolerant of sexuality in games than the west is, so putting in a little easter egg like this is essentially a harmless joke, even for gamers of the youngest demographic in Japan, but in the west I guess it's just suddenly perceived as "Pixel must be perverted because he's Japanese".

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
not sure if I should merge this with one of other 10 million threads with exact same title

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
ColdCallerloppy said:
Was this supposed to be a joke by Pixel?
No. They are a mystical object created by gods. Pixel was in no way joking as he put in this gift from the heavens, known as "Curly's Panties."
What did you expect?

May 1, 2014 at 2:40 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Maybe they unlock the fourth ending.

May 1, 2014 at 2:45 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Maybe they teleport you to the secret Coldcallerloppy boss?

May 1, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGVZ1tyU3S0
On useless panties and returning them to their owner :
Quote found where the puppy buried Curly's Panties. He should return these to their owner........

However...
Quote senses a floating narration :
"There will be a misunderstanding."

A robot that shoots first and asks questions later, because, "you looked like a bad robot", poses a certain risk when showing her this.
Therefore...
Description :
"This item is useless."

...Much later, after the ending :

Quote, Curly and Balrog fly away into the sunset...

"Aren't you forgetting something?", the Little Man grumbles as he bundles up against the cold.

...?

Quote suddenly remembers he still has Curly's Panties which he liberated from the puppy's stash. Now it should be safe to give to her.

"What's this?"
Handed over the *Little Man Sleeping in Curly's Panties*.

Description :
*A drooling little man sleeps inside your panties.*
"QUOTE!!!"

-4 dmg

-___- .......

May 1, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Short version:

Bringing it up at all makes you look like a moron, and this is regardless of knowledge on or about the reason behind it in the first place. It just makes everyone look bad.

Long version:

Way, way back in the day, Japan didn't really have undergarments outside of royalty, or at the very least nothing sexually specific. Then came America. America dropped an A-bomb, and Japan sort of developed some kind of weird Stockholms syndrome / fanboyism for America and its developments.

Panties, for whatever oddball reason, were actually a very expensive import from America to Japan, as a new garment specifically for women. As a combined result of American fanboyism through the culture, and the high tangible value / low number of these garments in circulation, ownership of them became equivalent to being the cool girl at school. This was then amplified by Japan's cultural belief that all objects are themself living things, and therefore the rare and expensive object must have the soul of royalty in itself.

So in effect, consider panties in Japanese culture to have started out similar to finding a silhouette of Jesus on a piece of toast. People will flock to, and worship it, like their lives depend on it.

As for portrayal in present media... I don't fucking know, and I don't want to know.