#CurlyBrace: An IRC Solution!

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Re: #CurlyBrace: An IRC Solution!

Today I have tried out #curlybrace for the first time, but after every line I said a message shows up: "Cannot send to channel: #curlybrace|" Wonder if anyone could see me talking at all and what does the message mean?

Best wishes, trickybilly

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

You need to register your nickname or ask an OP to give you voice.

I still don't understand why this is needed, to be honest there is no rational reason to it other than completely pointless retardation. Seriously. Why? Why would you do this?

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

trickybilly said:
Today I have tried out #curlybrace for the first time, but after every line I said a message shows up: "Cannot send to channel: #curlybrace|" Wonder if anyone could see me talking at all and what does the message mean?
No-one could see you talking, no.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

hey guys could we remove the voice system

unless anyone has any good reason to keep it in place?

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

sexplosive said:
hey guys could we remove the voice system

unless anyone has any good reason to keep it in place?

Cultr1's ultimately the one who's keeping it in place. He was the one who decided to keep it. So, you know, ask him.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I was sort of asking cultr1

in this thread thought because idk I didn't feel like vming him

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

I keep it in order to prevent random spammers, and also and a means of silencing deserving individuals without having to resort to banning.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM
Pirate Member

Can't you make it so you get your voice by default? Like in #doukutsu. You could still take away one's voice by hand. It would make more sense, since right now you're basically preventing people from talking - few new people know how to register your nickname, plus it's insanely frustrating to "log in" every time you enter the room.

But hey, it's your call. You can keep it this way if you want to. But it's not like spam is a real issue.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM
In front of a computer

cultr1 said:
I keep it in order to prevent random spammers, and also and a means of silencing deserving individuals without having to resort to banning.
While I'm not going to insist that you reverse your decision, I'll point out that unless you can guarantee that there is an op on pretty much all the time, keeping the room moderated does more harm than good.

If you're looking for an op, people who I often see in the room when no ops are on include Malpercio, SirTopHat, possibly Yakkers, and of course myself. There are likely others as well, but those seem to be the most likely to be paying attention (Yakkers is "possibly" because I'm not sure how attentive he is). JTE I'm pretty sure is on quite a lot when no ops are on, and she's an op in #Doukutsu if that makes any difference to you, but she also tends to be a lurker. One of the (minor) problems with #Doukutsu is that both of the ops are lurkers and not around much.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

better idea, autovoice script.
give one of us permalurkers a script we can run (and ops) such that there would be a keyword new users could pm to us on IRC that would give them voice automatically.
hmmm.... i might learn python just to do that, if not for the sake of actually learning a programming language at some point in my life.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:43 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Celtic Minstrel said:
If you're looking for an op, people who I often see in the room when no ops are on include Malpercio, SirTopHat, possibly Yakkers, and of course myself. There are likely others as well, but those seem to be the most likely to be paying attention (Yakkers is "possibly" because I'm not sure how attentive he is).

Even if I don't appear active, I'm at the computer whenever I'm on. My client pings me whenever my name is said, so anyone could contact me for voice at any time.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM

yakkers and celtic seem like good choices to me because they're levelheaded and not likely to ban someone out of spite, or just for fun

then again noxid and gir are on like, 90% of the time most traffic comes through

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:21 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

But sexual discussion.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM
Been here way too long...

sexplosive said:
Leaves every time discussion moves below the belt, i.e. when I join. Yakkers would make a good voicinator because he's online until about midnight erry day.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM
In front of a computer

Well, I talked to cultr1, and he said he's definitely not adding any ops. I could say several less-than-friendly things about his reasoning process, but I'm not sure if I can phrase them well, so instead I'll paste the log here for the curious.

[Feb 07@7:20:18pm] celticminstrel: So, were you going to add more ops, Cultr1?
[Feb 07@7:20:38pm] Cultr1: Nope
[Feb 07@7:20:56pm] celticminstrel: Eh, well, your channel your choice.
[Feb 07@7:21:05pm] Cultr1: Why do you ask?
[Feb 07@7:21:29pm] Cultr1: I think 3 ops is plenty
[Feb 07@7:21:39pm] celticminstrel: Well, since it's moderated, I think it'd be good to try to have enough ops that there can be one on almost always.
[Feb 07@7:21:59pm] celticminstrel: As it is, the channel frequently has no ops in it.
[Feb 07@7:22:01pm] GIR2 joined the chat room.
[Feb 07@7:22:13pm] Cultr1: False
[Feb 07@7:22:22pm] GIR2 was granted voice by Noxid.
[Feb 07@7:22:23pm] celticminstrel: No, it's true.
[Feb 07@7:22:36pm] GIR2: what?
[Feb 07@7:22:38pm] celticminstrel: And as a result, people have come in and not been able to talk for hours.
[Feb 07@7:22:44pm] GIR left the chat room. (Killed (NickServ (GHOST command used by GIR2)))
[Feb 07@7:22:45pm] Cultr1: Ops are almost always on, and hen they aren't the channel is rather empty.
[Feb 07@7:22:52pm] celticminstrel: Because there was no op to give them voice.
[Feb 07@7:22:57pm] GIR2 is now known as GIR.
[Feb 07@7:23:04pm] Cultr1: Well it's their fault fir not registering
[Feb 07@7:23:05pm] GIR was promoted to operator by ChanServ.
[Feb 07@7:23:10pm] Cultr1: for*
[Feb 07@7:23:17pm] celticminstrel: Really, Cultr1, how can you say that ops are almost always on when you're rarely on?
[Feb 07@7:23:27pm] Cultr1: Because Noxid and Gir.
[Feb 07@7:23:29pm] celticminstrel: Also, I'm talking about new people who haven't been added to the access list yet.
[Feb 07@7:23:44pm] celticminstrel: So no, it's not their fault for not registering.
[Feb 07@7:23:47pm] Cultr1: Well then they should send me a visitor message
[Feb 07@7:23:57pm] celticminstrel: What if they don't have a forum account?
[Feb 07@7:23:58pm] Cultr1: Or any of the other ops
[Feb 07@7:24:12pm] Cultr1: Then they shouldn't be on my channel.
[Feb 07@7:24:37pm] celticminstrel: Well, that's a great way to drive people away.
[Feb 07@7:24:52pm] Cultr1: This channel was designed for forum members
[Feb 07@7:25:17pm] GIR: for forum members, by forum members
[Feb 07@7:25:18pm] Cultr1: Sorry, celticminstrel, but I'm not adding any more ops.
[Feb 07@7:25:28pm] celticminstrel: That's kinda silly. It's for talking about Cave Story. Why should it matter if they have a forum account?
[Feb 07@7:25:38pm] Cultr1: Dude
[Feb 07@7:25:41pm] Cultr1: No.
[Feb 07@7:25:55pm] GIR: strong enough for a man but made for a woman!!!
[Feb 07@7:25:57pm] Cultr1: If they want that, then they can go to #doukutsu
[Feb 07@7:26:09pm] celticminstrel: Eh, your choice, but I still think it's an idiotic decision.
[Feb 07@7:26:14pm] celticminstrel: I'll stop now.
[Feb 07@7:26:20pm] Cultr1: I created this channel, it was made for cs forum members
[Feb 07@7:26:40pm] GIR: cultr1 willed it into existence
[Feb 07@7:26:44pm] celticminstrel: Uhuh.

sexplosive said:
yakkers and celtic seem like good choices to me because they're levelheaded and not likely to ban someone out of spite, or just for fun
Well, thanks for the nomination, even if it seems clear nothing will come of it.

sexplosive said:
then again noxid and gir are on like, 90% of the time most traffic comes through
I can remember several occasions when someone showed up and neither Gir nor Noxid were around. (As for Cultr1, he's almost never around.) In some cases these were new people popping into #Doukutsu, and at least once I chose not to recommend #curlybrace to them because there was no op around to voice them.

Captain Fabulous said:
Leaves every time discussion moves below the belt, i.e. when I join. Yakkers would make a good voicinator because he's online until about midnight erry day.
There's a point there, but I only leave the channel; I don't log out. So if someone were to show up I could be summoned in to voice them if I were an op.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Pirate Member

Wow this is a tremendously atrocious decision. Not only are there zero OPs 80% of the time, but Cultr1 refuses to let other people in the channel? Jesus fuck it's not like the channel gets invaded by random strangers and spambots every two minutes.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"

I read CM's post last night and I don't remember if this was said, but...

There are members of the forum who try and join..and not everyone is IRC savvy, so they don't know how to register in the first place. Like Shadow Major, who joined the other day. Gir had to teach him. If no OPs were around, he'd be fucked.

I think there should be an extra OP hanging around.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:55 AM

hey guys we should have a poll

we'll have like 10 options on it
it'll be great

no but actually come on just a y/n for adding an extra OP poll would be cool
I mean I'm sorry community but ultimately cultr1 has to make that decision but still maybe he could consider it seriously

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

I think not.
3/20 op to user ratio is plenty.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM
In front of a computer

JakeXanth said:
You know, if they don't have a forum account, they shouldn't know about #curlybrace in the first place.
False. You do not need a forum account in order to view the forum.

cultr1 said:
I think not.
3/20 op to user ratio is plenty.
Arguing by ratios is just stupid. You just happened to choose ops who were all in the same time zone. We have three ops, but it's almost exactly like having only one* op because one of the three usually isn't on at all and the other two are normally both on at the same time. Yes, technically there's a 3:20 op to user ration (well, assuming you're correct in saying there are 20 users), but drop two of those ops (you and one other) and there'd be a 1:20 ratio, and the situation would not have changed.

Note that I'm not asking you to drop any of the existing ops, just explaining why your argument is invalid.

* One and a half, maybe.