CSTSF Modding Competition 2017 - Submission and Discussion Thread

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@Flight. A Story of The Sky.
That was cute simple adventure x) There are some bugs though...
Flying around as a little (big) dragon was a fun idea. Shrinking the graphics for that section worked well imo, though the thought of giant hoppies and ghosts are a bit terrifying. Sounds like a new boss for Quote...

The way you executed it though, room by room though was... just alright. I never died, despite random blocks. (I did learn that you can pass through ghosts without damage... I need to check that on Cave Story.) It would have been more entertaining with scrolling movement and or some type of deeper game play gimmick... But, even so: I played it twice just for fun since it was quick ;) And who doesn't love rescuing Cthulhu??

There were some bugs though: like the enemies not triggering at first (as you mentioned), or the ghosts appearing but the projectiles not showing up... (exceeded maximum objects?) Also, in the first fight room, the blocks only fell on the right side of the screen... wasn't sure if that was intentional...

Nice though! I'm glad you released it.

In the meantime I'm gonna post an actual WIP screenshot for once
p359098-0-ciazgzq.png
Unsurprisingly, there will be gimmicks
Any news on this DT? I was not psychologically prepared to ask earlier... (but I eagerly anticipate it!)

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:00 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
@Flight. A Story of The Sky.
That was cute simple adventure x) There are some bugs though...
Flying around as a little (big) dragon was a fun idea. Shrinking the graphics for that section worked well imo, though the thought of giant hoppies and ghosts are a bit terrifying. Sounds like a new boss for Quote...

The way you executed it though, room by room though was... just alright. I never died, despite random blocks. (I did learn that you can pass through ghosts without damage... I need to check that on Cave Story.) It would have been more entertaining with scrolling movement and or some type of deeper game play gimmick... But, even so: I played it twice just for fun since it was quick ;) And who doesn't love rescuing Cthulhu??

There were some bugs though: like the enemies not triggering at first (as you mentioned), or the ghosts appearing but the projectiles not showing up... (exceeded maximum objects?) Also, in the first fight room, the blocks only fell on the right side of the screen... wasn't sure if that was intentional...

Nice though! I'm glad you release d it.

Thanks for the feedback! I would have loved to add screen scrolling since all of the first 4 maps are connected, but I think it would have taken too long to make, and it would make the mod feel a lot shorter. I actually didn't notice the blocks falling on the right until you pointed it out, but I believe it was because of where I placed the falling block entity.

hmm I wonder what my third mod for this contest should be

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Any news on this DT? I was not psychologically prepared to ask earlier... (but I eagerly anticipate it!)
I'm almost done, only one room to finish setting up and then some playtesting/polishing. Unfortunately I'm going to be busy this week so I may as well aim for next weekend now. Don't want another rushed finale :hoppy:

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:37 PM
Soup Man
After 4 entire days of strenuous modding and playtesting I've finished the mod that I simply call...
#4.
This one was a blast to make and I hope you enjoy it. It's just a short challenge mod but it is extremely difficult. If anyone can actually beat it outside of easy mode I'll uh. Congratulate them or something. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcphm5hpmey8tjp/#4.zip?dl=0

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:48 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
After 4 entire days of strenuous modding and playtesting I've finished the mod that I simply call...
#4.
This one was a blast to make and I hope you enjoy it. It's just a short challenge mod but it is extremely difficult. If anyone can actually beat it outside of easy mode I'll uh. Congratulate them or something. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcphm5hpmey8tjp/#4.zip?dl=0
I would rather not spend who knows how long dying in one hit to spikes with Cave Story's floaty physics, but more power to the people who will inevitably give this a go.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:11 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Spikes are cheap shots at difficulty. They don't add anything to the experience except it makes it more frustrating. Difficult bosses and level design are better than just putting spikes everywhere.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Alright vb, I decided to play this one and really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's pretty much just as hellish as it's been described in the Discord chat.

I appreciate the fact that dying is quick and you can restart in an instant, but it's definitely not fair and doesn't mesh well at all with cave story's floaty and imprecise physics. I spent three minutes before I got frustrated and quit. There was a part in the initial drop where you can choose two different paths, left or right, but one of the paths always kills you. This definitely does not give you enough time to react to it, so if you end up guessing the wrong one you die. I didn't get any further than that, but I could tell there were two or so other paths just like that if I had made it further. Not only that, but I would consistently die to obstacles in the beginning that I was previously able to pass without much trouble. This is because all of the aesthetics look the same and there's nothing to differentiate each small chunk from the next. That means everything starts to blend in which makes it difficult to remember what is coming up next.

I am happy that you were able to have fun making this. I really am. But if you can understand some of this critique, understand that you don't have to compromise your vision just to make it enjoyable for others, I believe you can have fun making something while simultaneously allowing others to have just as much fun playing it too.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM
Soup Man
I would rather not spend who knows how long dying in one hit to spikes with Cave Story's floaty physics, but more power to the people who will inevitably give this a go.
ok you don't have to play if you don't want to

EDIT:
Alright vb, I decided to play this one and really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's pretty much just as hellish as it's been described in the Discord chat.

I appreciate the fact that dying is quick and you can restart in an instant, but it's definitely not fair and doesn't mesh well at all with cave story's floaty and imprecise physics. I spent three minutes before I got frustrated and quit. There was a part in the initial drop where you can choose two different paths, left or right, but one of the paths always kills you. This definitely does not give you enough time to react to it, so if you end up guessing the wrong one you die. I didn't get any further than that, but I could tell there were two or so other paths just like that if I had made it further. Not only that, but I would consistently die to obstacles in the beginning that I was previously able to pass without much trouble. This is because all of the aesthetics look the same and there's nothing to differentiate each small chunk from the next. That means everything starts to blend in which makes it difficult to remember what is coming up next.
The paths you had to take to not die alternated and weren't random. Wouldn't be too difficult if you gave it some practice.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:23 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The paths you had to take to not die alternated and weren't random. Wouldn't be too difficult if you gave it some practice.
Having the paths alternate is good. That is at least some sort of recognizable pattern that makes the section easier on repeat playings. However, how am I supposed to know that without dying to them first? If your answer to that is "you're supposed to die to figure it out," then there is something fundamentally wrong with the challenge. This wouldn't be so much a problem if there was a reasonable amount of time to react to it, but like I mentioned, you give two paths to choose from and you only indicate that one is the wrong path with a death spike a few tiles further down. Taking a look at this frame of the first selectable path...
gfhXHO2.png
Would you say there is a reasonable amount of time to react to this? When you first see this, you won't know that the spike is there because it is off-screen. So essentially, you have to wait long enough to determine which path is the correct one (even though you would have to assume this is the case), and manage your physics to get in one of the paths to begin with even though the physics do not allow for quick changes in the player's direction (which is what you designed it around).

So, would it be difficult with enough practice, like you said? I would say no, it wouldn't be. So you're right on that. But what I am trying to argue is completely different: this being a reasonable challenge or not. What I would define as reasonable is something you can theoretically do on your first try. And while technically the example I have provided is theoretically possible to do on your first try, it requires a lot of assumptions and razor-quick reflexes. So to that end, no, I do not consider it a fair challenge.

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Soup Man
So, would it be difficult with enough practice, like you said? I would say no, it wouldn't be. So you're right on that. But what I am trying to argue is completely different: this being a reasonable challenge or not. What I would define as reasonable is something you can theoretically do on your first try. And while technically the example I have provided is theoretically possible to do on your first try, it requires a lot of assumptions and razor-quick reflexes. So to that end, no, I do not consider it a fair challenge.
I made the mod to be something you'd have to practice at if you wanted to get good at it/beat it. The point is that you'll die a lot. It's about memorization and muscle memory.

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Spikes are cheap shots at difficulty. They don't add anything to the experience except it makes it more frustrating. Difficult bosses and level design are better than just putting spikes everywhere.
Can confirm that spikes are bad, just look at 1001 spikes for the proof.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Alright I didn't have time to figure out where to upload it so I just put it in the forum Discord
I'm going out right now so I'll say more later, hopefully for now this works

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Well I tried the mod myself, I wanted to make a good first impression so I avoided all mentions of this mod, here are my thoughts.
p360252-0-xpbktak.png

Ok cool it's almost like rain, nifty.
p360252-1-npl8ria.png

A meh title screen I can tell this has 4 pasted all over it....so that's a plus?
p360252-2-nljvyhh.png

My Quote walks 2 inches and this is what he gets.....what lovely story I'm forced into.
p360252-3-ynwpbsb.png

He's gone.....(Undertale game over screen would probably go here)
p360252-4-qodsxzw.png

The heck? Alright, easy mode it is I guess
p360252-5-uqmslw3.png

p360252-6-giphy.gif

Nice, it's like true hell challenge but with less health and more challenge......lovely.
p360252-7-ex5yxpa.png

Epic start to this hell fest.
-Death 1-
p360252-8-inj5uvo.png

This just keeps going.....IT NEVER ENDS!
-Deaths 2 through 39-
p360252-9-9erculm.png

HA, DODGED THAT AFTER DYING THERE 9 TIMES!
p360252-10-ysm4g4k.png

My game was saved so that was nice I guess?
p360252-11-vsm34p0.png

Only to be thrusted into a wall less than 5 seconds later.....It's great to know we're in good hands.
-Deaths 39-78-
p360252-12-iez8hj0.png

THESE DAMN JUMPS ARE SO HARD. I finally succeed only to be plastered against the wall!
-Death 79-
p360252-13-4js3fxr.png

I swear these 2 jumps can go to hell it's so freaking hard to do it correctly without some timing bull.
-Deaths 80 through 103-
p360252-14-hvdxvk5.png

Well that's enough life for me for one day.....
-Death 104-
This mod is frustratingly hard. There is no "challenge", it's pure memorization and muscle memory that would take hours to master down.
A game should be as simple as pick up and play. Trial and error is the literal bottom of the barrel of game design, since this was done in 4 days,
this is exactly what I expected with something done in 4 days. This mod fails to be everything it isn't, it lacks story, has no real challenge other than
the entire thing being sadistically hard, and is extremely bland.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 1:10 PM
Professional Whatever
MY VIDEOGAMES REVIEW FOR YOUVE GOT MAIL IS THQAT ITS IS A 8/10 VIDEOGRAME AND IF I WERE TO SAY WHAT WOULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THIS IS THAT IT HAS A GOOD GAMEPLAY AND AN EMOTION STORY. -mail/10

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Here's the link for the upload I made before, I've been told it works properly (now?). I really had to leave though so I had no time to check it. No changes have been made since then. There are a few errant spritesheet copies I forgot to remove but that's all.
Hold that thought a minute

Anyway, contest. I did enjoy it, it really makes you realise just how much actually depends on the main .exe even for basic mapmaking. There should be no problems on that front, especially because I downloaded a new .exe for the final build. Even after all this, I was still rushing a bit at the end. I think by this point I've resigned myself to anything of substance I try to make taking forever. It was worth it though, I got to flex my flag-checking muscles more than in the past and even picked up on a few new things. It really shouldn't be too hard anywhere this time hopefully, amongst a little entertainment of one sort or another :orangebell:

Since zxin's temporarily indisposed, I'd guess that's it for entries here too? I don't remember anyone else who was still working for the deadline. I'll see if he contacts me offsite. Either way I'm ready to switch my focus to judging (the other contest) now.

EDIT: I've ended up making a couple minor fixes that I could have easily made earlier if I were home and I'm sure noone will begrudge me
https://www.dropbox.com/s/br420quwqj5a3ce/A Fresh Coat 1.0.1.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Whoa DT, once again you made something that shows tsc is still cool. I love it, both for how nicely it's done and the sillyness in it.

Also speaking of deadlines(My source might be wrong so don't quote me on it.);
according to a friend of mine zxin said:
For obvious reasons the CSTSFMC2017's has been forcibly delayed until the 22nd. I'm sorry to anybody this inconveniences. I have no other way to inform, this is all.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:29 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@DoubleThink
:[
The environment is pretty fickle when speed running D:
Sometimes I can't make simple jumps without getting stuck on a block... but on the other hand I love how you can grab on to some blocks if you push into them while falling.

Colorful entry DT! I had no clue what you were going to be mixing up after seeing that screenshot... Minions? Construction workers?? And now, after playing through it once... that was unexpected! A painter ;)
While I have my qualms about how fickle some blocks have to be painted on a particular side, and that you can easily get stuck on a typically easy jump (especially while speed running!), I think it was a good design choice, throwing the player into painting (showing off TSC and establishing how to handle what is coming...), then at the right time, give them the conflict to spice things up.

It might be a few strokes short of a masterpiece, with the frustrating controls for one... But that strangely oppressive, yet relaxed face reflects that nothing worth doing should be easy :[ If you take a job, you finish the job. If you see work, you get it done. Those meddling kids with their technology won't get their hands dirty, but a painter should use their hands~! (silent roar)

I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore x) The mod was a fun entry. I'm glad you entered! PS, the first thing I tried was to leave it partly undone to see if there would be a lazy painter route. Nope! (I think he gave me a stink eye pixel...)

PPS - The bonus was a nice touch~ What was your time?

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The environment is pretty fickle when speed running D:
Sometimes I can't make simple jumps without getting stuck on a block... but on the other hand I love how you can grab on to some blocks if you push into them while falling.
Yeah it's a bit of a concept demonstration in that regard, for the, um, way I went about making the blocks. Hopefully it didn't lead to too much annoyance in the later sections. I liked the change-only-from-one-direction setup because it meant I could get tricky with how the player had to aim for them.

PPS - The bonus was a nice touch~ What was your time?
I hadn't really done more than test to make sure it worked. Great idea using the block climbing to save time in the first room though, I hadn't even thought of that :momo: