• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

CSTSF Modding Competition 2017 - Submission and Discussion Thread

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Apr 8, 2017 at 6:04 PM
Sleepyhead
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'm just saying that I don't think a lot of people can spend two months straight on a project before losing interest, especially on things like cs mods.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:11 PM
Perfectionist
CS Beta Content Discord Admin
CSE Discord Moderator
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'm just saying that I don't think a lot of people can spend two months straight on a project before losing interest, especially on things like cs mods.
If that is the case it also gives a chance to latecomers.
Also I have worked on a Cave Story mod for 2 months straight.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:57 AM
The God of Development Heaven
Modding Community Discord Admin
"Deaths: 4000"
I spent 3 years on a mod.
(2.5 of the years was spent pretending it didn't exist)

Checkmate millennials.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:28 AM
Soup Man
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I still haven't released GKA 3, and that was scheduled for 2015, so...

GKA 3 will be my entry for Dunc's contest

EDIT: I'm 100% serious btw. Be warned.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:17 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Someone clearly doesn't know how modcons work.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:28 PM
Perfectionist
CSE Discord Moderator

You probably won't be allowed to submit preexisting mods.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Apr 10, 2017 at 5:56 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Aw, fudge nuggets. I know that as a noob on the forums people probably saw this coming a mile away, but I'm gonna drop out. I've done gone and changed too many map properties for what I'm working on to be allowed.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM
Perfectionist
CSE Discord Moderator
Aw, fudge nuggets. I know that as a noob on the forums people probably saw this coming a mile away, but I'm gonna drop out. I've done gone and changed too many map properties for what I'm working on to be allowed.
Just re-download the competition .EXE and move the map tiles/entities/scripts to maps that already have the properties you want.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:13 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ah. slight problem. when I import the .EXE into my folder, and launch the game, the title screen disappears. It works fine when I import the normal 'doukustsu' file however. any idea how to fix this?

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM
The God of Development Heaven
Modding Community Discord Admin
"Deaths: 4000"
ah. slight problem. when I import the .EXE into my folder, and launch the game, the title screen disappears. It works fine when I import the normal 'doukustsu' file however. any idea how to fix this?
It uses a full screen title hack, so use a 320x240 title.bmp

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM
Perfectionist
CSE Discord Moderator
Apr 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
does anyone happen to have a template for that? I don't usually dabble in hacks.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM
Perfectionist
CSE Discord Moderator
does anyone happen to have a template for that? I don't usually dabble in hacks.
Attached is the template that I used myself. It's a renamed .BMP, because you cannot upload .BMPs to this forum. (so just rename the file to Title.bmp)
I'll add this file to the OP later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks!

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Perfectionist
CSE Discord Moderator
Apr 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's right. Maybe I should have mentioned that in the OP.
oh what
so no hacks are allowed, EXCEPT the ones that you specifically want?
that's comical

Apr 26, 2017 at 3:20 PM
Perfectionist
CSE Discord Moderator
Hey! Just wanted to check in to see if everyone is going all good and dandy. Particularly @EnlightenedOne and @TheCyberSleuth.
Obviously, as the person running the contest there'd supposedly be something I'm supposed to be doing, but I don't really see anything to do regarding the contest.
So I didn't read this at the time it was posted, and I still haven't. I don't really have a solid reason, but I might go very off topic here. So if you reply to this portion of the message, please be careful not to drag the thread off topic. ; |
And all text written by me will just be emboldened as usual.

[ORIGINAL POST BY BLINK]

I took some time to muse over this before deciding to say anything in formal writing.
I do like a good bit of formal writing.

I first must strongly disagree with this contest, Because it's a "no ASM" contest.
And, you heavily rely on assembly. Which is why this contest alienated Xin and possibly many others.

It's no secret that I along with most other modders use at least some amount of ASM in out mods; but to completely throw it out basically is asking all the veteran modders to sit this contest out; we've been around so long that using these ASM hacks are second nature to us and are a part of the engine itself and we cannot use it without these enhancements.
In N.E.T. Story I wasn't using any kind of .exe modifications at all until I changed to using .BMPs over half way trough the mod's development so that I could make Loki(e)'s sprites with ease.
Although, I did make Loki after Digested Misery, so I still had to colour in all those pixels without the aid of a fill tool, undo button,
or any kind of modern assistance.
And, if it weren't for Paths (now Spirit/etc.) at the time the mod would have never used any larger assembly hacks at all. But as it is,
it only uses TIMG which is merely aesthetic. (funny story, before having TIMG I used a WHOLE tileset to place an image on-screen, but I didn't know that tileset sprites could only go to about 256x, so it malfunctioned.
Not only this, but I had no intentions to use great amounts of assembly hacks in N.E.T. Story II: The Surface before gamemanj started helping me out. Most of the things I asked for were for N.E.T. Story v2.0, but when I asked him to replicate the 2x res hack... I certainly had every intention of only using it in N.E.T. Story II. Sadly it proved a large undertaking for gamemanj, and he backed out,
scared that what happened to Noxid would happen to him. And at this point the hack was still not capable of properly rendering all entities (although it could render some, and at 2x res), and backgrounds were normal resolution with blank space in the middle. At this point I had already spend tremendous amounts of effort to 2x res many of the graphics and re-patch a new .exe to work with the old files. Not to mention the fact that I was already in an awkward transition period, trying to adjust to N.E.T. Story v2.0's different storyline and make everything still work. There were many sections that didn't work because of testing, and the 2x res hack failing was the final nail in a large coffin. As it was buried, the mod is completely unplayable; an abomination.
It could have been a fun return to my old mod, but it wasn't to be. The mod was already starting to die, but the hacks going awry was certainly a sawn-off-shotgun to the head.
As Hermit Gunsmith says; (...) those who wield something made by another and believe that it is their own power that they use to succeed... are fools.

It's how we build the mods and you greatly hinder our ability to perform without them.
"*I'm really pretentious!*"
Oh dear, I'm sorry. I do agree with GIR here, this is quite funny... and pretentious.
Just because I've disallowed the use of .exe modifications doesn't mean that you can't use them normally, as what you say would apply.

Why should be be punished for putting all our skills into one of the hardest aspects of modding?
You're not being punished for what you say, you are being excluded for being unable to fulfil the need for good design and clever thinking outside of advanced (and even simple) assembly.
Again, it's not because you're doing X, it's because you're NOT doing Y. And, you can do both X and Y quite reasonably!

You want a "equal" playing field but by doing this you're creating just the opposite.
So you think that by streamlining the .exe to one of 2 possible .exes (that are nearly identical, but some people prefer 50 over FPS, and I like 60) I'm not creating an '"equal"' playing field?
I wouldn't mind this idea nearly as much if you presented this as a side contest and our community was at least 5 times as large as it currently is.
So, you're not proposing that I should've done this. Because one of the parts of your proposition requires something that is hypothetical.
It would justify having a "kiddie pool" contest to encourage new modders to compete against each other because they are actually likely to get 3rd second or even first place.

But this is only a pipe dream because nobody doesn't know ASM anymore that still mods It's not in the current meta anymore, After Carrotlord, my own and Thomas Xin's Guides; CS ASM is easier to get into than ever; and if you want to complain that you're at a disadvantage it's your own fault.
Pretty sure you missed a full stop at some point.
So I'm going to get pretty offended here. (trigger warning for every fucking CSTSF member)
I don't know ASM. I still mod. What you said is literally wrong.
LIT-ER-AL-LY.

And you know what? Yeah I probably am at a disadvantage. And at this point, I've tried learning assembly more than 3 times on 3 occasions. Every time it goes in one ear and out the other, and by the 12th page of whatever I'm reading I become lost. It's not about understanding how assembly functions at a base level, it's about understanding how that can affect a greater picture. Which, for somebody like me, is impossible. I've never been able to understand how putting a bunch of numbers in addresses in the computer can ever actually manage to change ANYTHING EVER. It's SO rudimentary that I can't see how what I'm doing actually means anything. I've tried so hard, I've pushed past the point where I want to kill somebody, and I never want to fucking touch it again. Inevitably I will; "Hey, maybe I'm ready to learn assembly now? I feel like it, let's do this!", but in 3 hours time I will have changed my tune; "Okay, maybe some other time... after I'm done wringing the neck of an angry schoolkid."
Only ever when it's explained in heavy detail for a certain instance, like "okay the number here is used by the game to determine how much health the player has" can I vaguely understand, but in other situations where it hasn't been explained for each instance it all falls apart. Knowledge that can apply in one place does't always seamlessly apply well in others for me, it's not like that. Although it does depend, please do keep that in mind.

Doors, Dunc, Nox, Thomas Xin, TPcool, TLink, Myself, Kenni, GiR, Yinga, and others all use ASM because we've been around long enough and cared enough to get this shit down so that the engine is more manipulable and we have a more open canvas.
SPOILERS:
you can literally do fucking anything with assembly

anything

You want people to use existing NPC's; but I as well as others (I'd assume anyway) don't even KNOW what the vanilla enemies are anymore let alone how to use them in creative ways anymore. (Such as EO's gif of the curtains pulling back)
This is what I was talking about, I guess. This is all about exercising the basics. If you've forgotten those, re-learn them because they can be absolutely essential.

What were the <ANP's to the Curly NPC again? I forgot because I only use my better coded more flexible one now that's a lot easier to customize for each mod's needs...
That's fantastic news. I think Xin has one like that.
A very simple Google Search has all the answers. Google "cave story ANP list" and the first result is this. I'm not sure if it's comprehensive, but it if ISN'T then you can just run trough every <ANP there is and find out for yourself, which can be equally fun to relieve boredom. It's just monotonous.

TL;DR Nice try kid, but you gotta get up to our level if you wanna play with the big boys, not change the rules to drag us down.
But I thought ... that I had a "superiority complex"?? (because that's all I've heard since yesterday, along with "you're a cunt, get out of here and kill yourself")
It sucks that "so you came" didn't score well because of a few small but important mistakes were made, even though the playtime was more than double of most entries, and had new art and decent scripting/concepts.
Not really. It was too short, and felt rushed. I could have worked on it for much longer, really. And on top of that I strayed too far from the original concept, which was a puzzle type of mod that expands in complexity with every room. Slowly adding combat, and revisiting older rooms frequently. Eventually the combat took over, and you have what you see before you now. I think that if I were to revisit it I would give the player the upgraded booster immediately, and have that and puzzles drive all the gameplay, with VERY little pitifully easy combat. Maybe integration of weapons into combat, like different coloured critters that only take major/any damage from one weapon.
I also don't like how you pretended to actually care about the reception of SYC, and pretend that it's flaws were all down to just 'a few little important mistakes', which we can all safely conclude isn't true. It rubs me up the wrong way, and comes off as manipulative.

But you've gotta realize your faults and stop pointing fingers at others claiming that ASM is broken and unfair to others that are too lazy to learn it.
I'd like to say this, because I didn't say this before:
You're putting words into my mouth big time here. Before this post I hadn't said anything like this before, and it is a serious misjudgement. I do believe that some people aren't able to make the things they want to because they aren't eccentric geniuses like Thomas Xin. And it may seem as if I do think that 'ASM is broken and unfair', but that's not really how I think of it at all.
I really wish you (this goes for everybody here) would stop trying to act as if you have the slightest clue how I think, what I think of things, and how I feel. I don't understand you, and I don't really want to. And you most certainly without a spec of doubt do not know a single thing about how I think, work, and behave internally, externally in person, or anything like that. You have no clue, so stop please acting as if you know everything; because if I had to chose between explaining and giving up because your vision is so hopelessly twisted... ... ... actually I'm not going to leave in my real answer to that. I did legitimately type an answer, and I bet my body, everything I own, and everyone whom I love that you will not within 10 years guess what my answer was.
Not only will you never guess what the answer is by chance, but even if you did know my real answer it wouldn't make sense to you anyway, because you do not know me. Even if I said I was something, that wouldn't change who I really am.
I could say...
"I'm a rapist, and I'm out for you", but that doesn't change anything, and that's not what I am.
I could say...
"I wrote this whole message in the nude", but that isn't how I write things, so you could reasonably discern that it wasn't me who wrote it.

I could tell you the tale of a time traveller, and claim that the time traveller was me, and also you from the future-past... but that story is still a fantasy. The story you tell yourself about me, and even everyone you know in person is still, at best, a fabrication of the truth.

And it took me more than 2 hours to write this, gee.
There may be many errors throughout this thing, but I'm not spending any longer proof reading it because I NEED to get back to work.
Cheers,
~zxin (12:20AM 27/04/2017)