CSE2 - The Cave Story decompilation project

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:14 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mind spilling the beans so those of us who've been avoiding the Discord servers can get in the know?
I still wanted to mess around with cse2 because bio told me that someone made a proper bat file to compile with.
In short, the maintainers will be reaching out to Nicalis directly in an attempt to work out some kind of arrangement with them. I wouldn't expect much in the way of news for several days, as correspondence like this takes time.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
maintainers will be reaching out to Nicalis directly in an attempt to work out some kind of arrangement with them
yeah, good luck with that.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:56 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Nicalis has a long history of being very supportive of the modding community. I'm very hopeful that they'll be willing to work with the maintainers and come to an agreement that makes everybody happy.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't have much to say about this but FUCK NICALIS

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:04 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I trust dunc with this because I know Tyrone's character as a person enough to know that this is 100% a misunderstanding.
Let's just hope this thread calms down with the anti-NICALiS sentiment, they aren't evil, they're doing everything within their right, the only 'bad' thing there is regarding Cave Story is the fact that they aren't doing enough with the ip (at least, in my opinion)

Let's be patient and see what happens.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah I probably exaggerated too much so how about:
"Nicalis dun goofed up"
We can all agree on this, right?

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:35 PM
War criminal
the only 'bad' thing there is regarding Cave Story is the fact that they aren't doing enough with the ip (at least, in my opinion)
Or at least anything more proper in regards to the IP. Too many crossover content, and it doesn't help when they post fanart and they claim it to be new material they're making (best example is Cave Story Story).

Tbh, with Nicalis being open with their games being modded, I'm surprised there isn't a junction for Cave Story in the Steam Workshop (which is already asking for much since they still need to patch the Steam port, which they have, but it's all exclusively on the Switch version).

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I hope it gets solved, because it's really bad that a mod gets DMCA'd because of something that doesn't have anything to do with it and was probably a misunderstanding. Good luck in working it out guys.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:38 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I hope it gets solved, because it's really bad that a mod gets DMCA'd because of something that doesn't have anything to do with it and was probably a misunderstanding. Good luck in working it out guys.
I mean this wasn't really just a mod.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I mean this wasn't really just a mod.
Yeah, I know. I just didn't remember the exact word. English isn't my first language and I had a headache. Maybe I shouldn't have posted in that moment now that I think about it

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:27 AM
Hoxtilicious
I am curious, why were they taken down in the first place?

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:37 AM
Stoned Member
I am curious, why were they taken down in the first place?
If I recall correctly, Ewan allegedly sent CSE2 to NICALiS on Cucky's behalf (for the funny ha-has), that way NICALiS Could DMCA the project.
Both of them underestimated how trigger happy NICALiS would get with the CS source code.

This is all secondhand info so it may be inaccurate so don't shoot me if this is inaccurate.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:16 AM
War criminal
Cucky's clear. He confirmed that he had no involvement with the thing.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:45 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I think I need to explain a few things, since this constant game of telephone is getting ridiculous.

The GitHub repo was DMCA'd by a representative of Nicalis, who claimed it contained Cave Story's source code. Whether a decompilation counts as a source code leak is probably up for debate.

What prompted this, we don't know. Some people blame Ewan, claiming he sent CSE2 to Nicalis and that this was what prompted the takedown.

Did he do this? Yes and no:

Did he hate this project and want it taken down, so he wrote a detailed report of what CSE2 is, and sent it straight to Nicalis's legal team? No.
Did he like the project, and DM Tyrone a link to a shitpost CSE2 fork on Discord as a joke? Yes.

Here's the thing: Ewan is far from the first person to tell Nicalis about CSE2. When heyjoeway's Nintendo Switch port came out, there was plenty of controversy about it in the /r/CaveStory Discord. Among it was the claim that Nicalis had been informed, and that they were "planning an appropriate course of action". This was a whole year ago. In fact, if I remember correctly, Super (who claims to have a contact within Nicalis) was adamant that Nicalis knew about CSE2 since even before then.

Notably, heyjoeway's repo was one of those affected by the DMCA takedown. Meanwhile, CSE2-Minus (not vanilla CSE2), which was the thing that Ewan sent Tyrone, was not taken down.

It is not clear at all whether Ewan is the reason CSE2 was taken down, so it would be nice if people stopped treating it as a fact. It's easy to blame the guy with an awful reputation who made an easy scapegoat by implicating himself mere minutes after the takedown, but that doesn't make it correct.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:02 PM
War criminal
and DM Tyrone a link to a shitpost CSE2 fork on Discord as a joke? Yes.
That could very well be what cost CSE2 if it's on the possible case that Tyrone missed the minus symbol in the name. That's still a very dumb move of him regardless. Couldn't the CSE2 owner just remove illegal forks?

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:11 PM
Stoned Member
Couldn't the CSE2 owner just remove illegal forks?
I imagine there's enough that it's hard to keep track of, that or nobody paid attention (or cse2- isn't even a fork at all)

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:34 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"

Speaking of, I'd like to see him respond to this thread (he has an account here for those who don't know) going over the DCMA claim and if it is a misunderstanding, or if he's holding to it.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:31 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
going over the DCMA claim and if it is a misunderstanding, or if he's holding to it.
Ah yes, I too, along with BLink, am very worried about the Defense Contract Management Agency's claim over CSE2, and how it will turn out.

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:52 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just wondering, is it possible to create and distribute builds of CSE2 and mods of it?

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:47 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just wondering, is it possible to create and distribute builds of CSE2 and mods of it?
As far as I know, distributing the source files is a big no-no, but mods and builds on their own should be less of a legal problem? It's still entirely up in the air as to what happens, but my mod hasn't been taken down yet, and at this point I think builds and mods should be fine.