CSE2 - The Cave Story decompilation project

May 24, 2020 at 9:45 PM
Best cow
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
But yeah, currently <PHY, <MIM, and <MS4 are available.
PogChamp Now to wait for the <VAR set to be implemented so all essential custom TSC commands can be in!

May 25, 2020 at 8:10 PM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Not hearing any of the ogg soundtracks at all when selecting their option using 2.1 enhanced (Tested New and Remastered, copied from CS+, option is selectable).
Is it just me?

May 26, 2020 at 1:35 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Whoops, sorry - my Windows builder had bad CMake settings. If you redownload CSE2E, the problem should be fixed now.

May 26, 2020 at 8:47 AM
"That dog!"
Whoops, sorry - my Windows builder had bad CMake settings. If you redownload CSE2E, the problem should be fixed now.
Nice, all are playing now. Though, I found an org playback bug when the window lost focus. I started with org playback, then switched to ogg. However, whenever I click off the window and regain focus, the last org in memory will start back up along with the ogg that is supposed to play.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:41 PM
"That dog!"
Was testing the spinoff Tweaks branch when I realized v-sync + 60 fps seems to quickly fill up the input buffer. Try jumping and shooting and spamming movement keys while v-sync + 60 fps is on. It should end up with Quote reading commands in a delayed fashion. The first time it happened I just froze xD It was basically as if I had triggered some kind of AI mode for Quote, as I had stopped pushing buttons but he was running around on his own randomly firing at enemies for a short bit.
(This is especially noticeable if you have a rapidfire button binded!)

v-sync off eliminates this

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:14 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Oh wow, thanks for catching that. It turns out I converted some WinAPI code to SDL2 incorrectly (it only processes one input per frame instead of every available input like the original does).

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:00 PM
CSE Discord Admin
Things have been a little slow lately, so here's more of a maintenance release:

CSE2 v2.1.1

Binaries:
CSE2 - Portable
CSE2 - Enhanced

Enhanced
Support for a new soundtrack has been added: DM Dokuro's 'Cave Story Arranged'. You might remember this from my old DLL loader - unlike the DLL loader, however, this version supports the jingles and has proper looping support.

In addition, each soundtrack has had its volume adjusted, to prevent some being significantly louder than others.

Portable
The other major change is more of a technical one - the software sound mixer that fulfils the role DirectSound did in the original EXE has been converted from floating-point to integer-only. This should eliminate inconsistencies between platforms, avoid annoying rounding-errors (like the ones that once caused some annoying hissing a few releases ago), and be faster.

Another fun change was that I found a bug in the FreeType setup CSE2 uses to render fonts: now monochrome text should render much better at low resolutions, thanks to proper hinting being enabled.

Before:

After:

This finally makes 320x240 viable without needing to use Courier New. Unfortunately, neither Japanese font CSE2 uses provides hinting for low resolutions.

Oh right, another change - the Japanese font has been switched from Noto Mono to Migu 1M. It's much smaller (3MB vs 16MB), renders better (Noto draws too low for some reason), and displays at the right size using Cave Story's original font size values.

This is a bit of a minor change, but SDL2 and FreeType have been upgraded from 2.0.10 and 2.10.1 to 2.0.12 and 2.10.2, respectively, so hopefully some under-the-hood improvements have made it into this release.

Two bugs have been fixed as well: the audio buzzing in the Wii U port should be gone now, and the bug mentioned in the post above about delayed user inputs has also been fixed.

Accurate
Nothing too groundbreaking has happened in this branch, unfortunately. Some constants and enums have been added here and there, and some fixes for undefined-behaviour have been backported from the portable branch, but that's about it.