CS: Online

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:23 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Ingame editor for ease, too, but importing needs to be there aswell. Some of us already have characters.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:26 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Fire1052 said:
Ingame editor for ease, too, but importing needs to be there aswell. Some of us already have characters.

The only thing that I think would make importing pics an unrealistic idea in any online game is that you can upload offsensive images as the graphics (like a whole buncha penises for your char graphics). I say their should be some customizability, but it'd probably be best that you could not import/upload your own graphics. If you did there'd have to be some sort of moderation system in effect.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:44 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Who would be playing besides us?

I think a palette changer would maybe be best, y'know with a very simple character with a few very simple colors. Everyone will share this sprite but be able to change the colors of its palette.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:00 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Fire1052 said:
Who would be playing besides us?

I think a palette changer would maybe be best, y'know with a very simple character with a few very simple colors. Everyone will share this sprite but be able to change the colors of its palette.

I don't know, I find tacky colors VERY offensive. :rolleyes:

But yeah that'd probably be the best idea, although it shouldn't be hard to have different sprite sheets with slighty different outfits like helmets and other small accessories. Nothing too expansive, just maybe 8-16 different sprite sheets (with editable pallettes :D) to choose from.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I don't know, I find tacky colors VERY offensive. :rolleyes:

But yeah that'd probably be the best idea, although it shouldn't be hard to have different sprite sheets with slighty different outfits like helmets and other small accessories. Nothing too expansive, just maybe 8-16 different sprite sheets (with editable pallettes :D) to choose from.

yeah that would be awesome, but how hard would that be to implement? is it really worth the time it might take? i'd much prefer a working online game as opposed to all these functions that may impede the base games release, ofcourse they should probably be added, but maybe later on

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:11 AM
Been here way too long...
or you could make it sorta like cave story is now, so complete idiots can't edit the pictures (that is, until ce came along)

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:40 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
herm.
why don't i make it so that you have all the sprites externaly, but you can edit them. however you can't add more.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:43 AM
The only thing that I think would make importing pics an unrealistic idea in any online game is that you can upload offsensive images as the graphics (like a whole buncha penises for your char graphics). I say their should be some customizability, but it'd probably be best that you could not import/upload your own graphics. If you did there'd have to be some sort of moderation system in effect.

that.
customizability+idiots=death.
so just make it idiotproof.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
What if custom MyChar's was an unlockable feature? Like, you have most of the sprites internalized, but if you unlock it you have the option to select "custom" which refers to an external file "CustomChar.bmp" or w/e. If another user finds your character offensive, they can report it and the option is de-unlocked, or locked if you prefer, and you character returns to the default. Of course, sending false reports is a serious offense that can lead to banning. Also, there would have to be some kind of moderator that could review appeals.

As to how you would go about unlocking such a feature, well you'd need a certain amount of play time maybe and something that shows you can function well within a group, such as defeating a challenging multiplayer boss.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:19 AM
multiplayer boss?
like, misery doc, and undead core at the same time?
THAT'D BE AWESOME!

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
So, you have a working chat system? That's exciting. And, Soldier Mimigas :rolleyes:

But, what's with all the teleporters?

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
So, you have a working chat system? That's exciting. And, Soldier Mimigas :rolleyes:

But, what's with all the teleporters?
That's where they come from.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:03 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Alright, it was kinda weird, but fun too. The soldiers actually killed me at first because I looked at their eyes and... they went down to their chin... and I was like "wtf???" I like all the different weapons you have (my favorite was the double-boomerang type thing). Although, that black ball thingy seemed kinda glitchy. Is it a doomsday device? And, the weapon one to the left of the polar star... an extra leg???

other things: The polar shotgun shoots in a 5x1 array, but when you shoot downward it's still a 5x1 array, when it should be a 1x5 array

The physics seem a little more floaty than the last time I played it. Maybe it's just me. Also, the jump should vary somewhat depending on how long you hold the jump button. Also, holding jump should lockout further jumps if the jump key is held from when you are in the air to when you hit the ground. I imagine pixel did it so that if you were on the ground, the jump key jumped, but if you were in the air it modified gravity so you decellerated slower (and jumped higher)

Things tend to get caught in the space where the tunnell narrows down to 1 block wide. Maybe if the hitboxes were a tad smaller there wouldn't be a problem?

I think I found the inventory (q?) and it looks pretty good, although the color is a bit loud. It was a bit glitchy for me, though, not always extending properly when I pressed the button.

And yea, I know this is a work in progress. Good progress. Noble progress towards a noble goal. As for my suggestions, I just throw out ideas based on intuition. I don't really know much about what works and what doesn't.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
Alright, it was kinda weird, but fun too. The soldiers actually killed me at first because I looked at their eyes and... they went down to their chin... and I was like "wtf???"
That's their fall sprite. they do that.
I like all the different weapons you have (my favorite was the double-boomerang type thing). Although, that black ball thingy seemed kinda glitchy. Is it a doomsday device?
To find out what the black ball does, stand within 7 tiles when it vanishes.
And, the weapon one to the left of the polar star... an extra leg???
Gun that I forgot to sprite

other things: The polar shotgun shoots in a 5x1 array, but when you shoot downward it's still a 5x1 array, when it should be a 1x5 array
Yeah, I'm gonna have to fix that.

The physics seem a little more floaty than the last time I played it. Maybe it's just me. Also, the jump should vary somewhat depending on how long you hold the jump button.
Find me the code for that and i'll be happy too.
Also, holding jump should lockout further jumps if the jump key is held from when you are in the air to when you hit the ground. I imagine pixel did it so that if you were on the ground, the jump key jumped, but if you were in the air it modified gravity so you decellerated slower (and jumped higher)
What are you talking about?

Things tend to get caught in the space where the tunnell narrows down to 1 block wide. Maybe if the hitboxes were a tad smaller there wouldn't be a problem?
I don't know what causes that, but good idea.

I think I found the inventory (q?) and it looks pretty good, although the color is a bit loud.
Damnit. The color is so that I know where all the inventory slots are.

It was a bit glitchy for me, though, not always extending properly when I pressed the button.
Huh, wierd.

And yea, I know this is a work in progress. Good progress. Noble progress towards a noble goal. As for my suggestions, I just throw out ideas based on intuition. I don't really know much about what works and what doesn't.
View the bold parts.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well, I have no experience with GameMaker, so I really don't know what can/cannot be done, but anyway...

Also, holding jump should lockout further jumps if the jump key is held from when you are in the air to when you hit the ground. I imagine pixel did it so that if you were on the ground, the jump key jumped, but if you were in the air it modified gravity so you decellerated slower (and jumped higher)
What are you talking about?

Mkay, so for starters, if you hold the jump button, and you touch ground again, you keep jumping.

In a totally different but also somewhat related line of thought:

Based off the assumption that there is some global variable for gravity (the rate of downward accelleration, with perhaps a upper and lower limit to velocity), the jump key should not be a jump key at all, but rather it should change the gravity of the player (perhaps where the player's position is calculated during airborne...ness, something like

if key = pressed
then a = g*(2/3) unless
playervelocity = down

And jumping should be a special case of the gravity modifier key if you are on the ground, possibly similar to:

when key = pressed
if jumped = true, go to >>
is player on ground?
if yes, add "x" to y velocity, go to &&
if no, go to &&
&& set jumped = true
>> do the gravity modification thing I said above
repeat each frame until key = released.
When key = released, set jumped = false IF the player is on the ground.

That's kinda like how computers think, right? Anyway, like I said before, I usually just go off the top of my head with this stuff, and I have no idea what GameMaker looks like, so I'm afraid I couldn't help you there. I'm just an ideas man.

Hmm, the first draft of this had "like" five times in one sentence. Ouch.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM
The physics seem a little more floaty than the last time I played it. Maybe it's just me. Also, the jump should vary somewhat depending on how long you hold the jump button.
Find me the code for that and i'll be happy too.
okay, there's a few different ways to do this, but the way pixel did it was to reduce the gravity if you were traveling upwards and the jump key was being pressed.

ie, if you were traveling upwards, under the key_check_pressed(vk_up) or whatever you have, if gravity was normally 1, you would set it to .4 (using the proportions pixel used)

or if you like pseudocode:
Code:
if key_check_pressed(vk_up) and vspeed < 0 {
    gravity = .4
} else {
    gravity = 1
}

I don't know if you're using custom gravity or vspeed or whatnot, but that should give you the picture.

also, that being said, reduce the normal jump height, unless you want ridiculously high jumps.

oh gawd, why rapidsh..? use mediafire. or filesnips. or something like that.
also, I got more accurate physx for you if you want. I'm not exactly sure in which order the constants are applied, but here goes:
p.walkspeed = 1.5859
p.fallspeed = 2.998

p.fallaccel = .15625
p.jumpfallaccel = .0625

p.walkaccel = .10742
p.jumpwalkaccel = .0625

p.decelspeed = .0996
p.jumpvelocity = 2.5

that's your normal physics, with these being applied every frame at 50 frames per second.
knock yourself out.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Lace said:
okay, there's a few different ways to do this, but the way pixel did it was to reduce the gravity if you were traveling upwards and the jump key was being pressed.

ie, if you were traveling upwards, under the key_check_pressed(vk_up) or whatever you have, if gravity was normally 1, you would set it to .4 (using the proportions pixel used)

or if you like pseudocode:
Code:
if key_check_pressed(vk_up) and vspeed < 0 {
    gravity = .4
} else {
    gravity = 1
}

I don't know if you're using custom gravity or vspeed or whatnot, but that should give you the picture.

also, that being said, reduce the normal jump height, unless you want ridiculously high jumps.

oh gawd, why rapidsh..? use mediafire. or filesnips. or something like that.
also, I got more accurate physx for you if you want. I'm not exactly sure in which order the constants are applied, but here goes:

that's your normal physics, with these being applied every frame at 50 frames per second.
knock yourself out.

why do you guys hate rapidshare so much?

anyways i meant for the longer the button press the higher you jump.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM
yeah, that's what code I gave.
and I don't really get how you could like rapidshare at all, it's slow, annoying, and adtacular.