CS Mods you started working on, but gave up early in the process?

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:45 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Come on, you know you've done something like that before. You probably haven't even told anybody about them!
They could be something you really wanted to do, but forgot about them, experimental mods, they could even be mods where you only did some artwork or made a level and gave up afterwards!

I guess I could make a list of some mods I made to set an example:

First ever mod:
This was like, way back in Spring 2013 (before I joined the forums, actually), I was actually making this mod called "Abridged Story".
p194535-0-pxqvafu.png

Unfortunately, the .exe files for the mod have been corrupted, so I was only able to recover some sprites from the folders they were all in. They were scattered in 3 unnecessary folders I don't remember why I made in the first place.

There were a few concepts in this mod that I had planned. One was where Sue and Toroko were lovers. One was there Balrog used the original Puu sprites, and Puu Black using an edited spritesheet based on Balrog's current appearance. One was where Curly's Machine Gun had a curse on it, where it turns her into a pony when she uses it (via NpcCurly) and she'll be free from the curse if you swap the Polar Star for the Machine Gun (heh, that idea gave me an excuse to use those Curly Pony facepics I found on Derpibooru). Overall, it was just a dialouge edit of the original game, and had no significance.

A Story:
This one, I told the Skype Group I was making.
p194535-1-ks22t22.png

I actually have no idea why i used the color red to cover "C", "ve", and "Doukutsu Monogatari".

This mod was going to be made for the one year anniversary of me being in the forums, but I was too lazy to work on it, and gave up. It had a stupid story idea, too, as it's just Quote going in levels based off other video games. Actually, I think this mod is the reason why I asked BLink to make the Buzz Bomber NPC.

Untitled Mod:
No, really. I never bothered to give this mod a title, because I couldn't think of what story to make from it.
Screenshots
p194535-2-qgc8lzt.png

p194535-3-1btzrk2.png

p194535-4-n7rbbd3.png
This mod has a Freaky Friday-esque beginning, where Quote turns into Curly, and he hears screaming from upstairs, implying that Curly has turned into Quote. I don't know why I gave up on it, it seemed like it would be a good mod to make, but alas, it hasn't been touched upon in forever.

Cave Story GB:
p194535-5-qc6hd6b.png

It's a fucking eyesore. 'Nuff said.

Cancelled mods where no work has been done whatsoever:
Kill La Kill Story: Sure, there are the Ryuko sprites I have somewhere in my gallery, but nothing else has been done.

Another unnamed mod: This was originally going to feature Terri as the main character. Nothing has been done, however.

So, if you guys also have some cancelled, unannounced mods that you feel like posting here, post as many as you want! :) I think it'd be nice to see what stuff you guys started making but have shelved early in the process.

EDIT: I should probably mention that if you have a thread for a cancelled mod, it's optional to post a link about it.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well, I have a few mods that I've abandonded.

"Cave Story Extended"
I mod I tried reviving a few times, its a mod along the lines of Cave Story X that added random level and item changes to the game.

"Cave Story 2"
Titles says it all, this one has also gone through a few changes. Starring a new protagonist called Colon, he would go to the sand zone, only to be cloned by a device like the G-Clone, and he'd have to team up with Quote and Curly to stop Semi-Colon, his evil clone.

"Cave Story: The Return of Ballos"
Another mod that I abandonded, I did release a demo though going through one of the zones. Another incarnation of Cave Story 2, you had to stop an evil cult trying to resserect Ballos.

Unfortunately, I lost what was left of these mods due to my Hard Drive Failure, with the exception of Return of Ballos, which I uploaded to Drop Box.

I also have 2 mods that I haven't been working much on, these being a redesign of Cave Story's areas, and A mod themed after Sonic 1. I'll resume work on these mods once I transfer their files from my old XP laptop to my desktop.

Also, Abridged story sounds like something in the same vien as Cavern Tale. I'd totally play that mod if it got released.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:06 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This.
When I started making it, the main character was a robot. I later changed my mind to make it a living fireball.
There was a tree village tileset, an overgrown almond tileset, and a few others..

Pictures...
p194537-0-ld8d7me.png

p163546-0-svsvwvu.png
p163543-0-mgp7flu.png

Tilesets..
p194537-3-irskaii.png

p194537-4-dekzec4.png

p194537-5-rlgcllk.png

p194537-6-xunpqgo.png

However, I soon learned how to make my own games and abandoned modding altogether.

I also started working on this mod about an overgrown egg corridor in the far future. Here's the tileset:
p194537-7-4k1hxme.png
I wasn't all that great at art back then...

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:13 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well, I had a challenge mod in the works, and got through editing the first challenge before the .exe got corrupted...

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:21 PM
"Huzzah!"
Parkraft123 said:
Unfortunately, I lost what was left of these mods due to my Hard Drive Failure, with the exception of Return of Ballos, which I uploaded to Drop Box.
That stinks... a lot. I keep everything on a flash drive, hopefully that won't fail.

As per the question at hand, I'm haven't canceled any yet since I'm working on my first, but I might have to cut out a bunch of it if I can't do this small ASM hack... Let's hope I can do it! :p

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I used to be working on a mod called Some Cave Story Mod.
At first Some Cave Story Mod was a temporary name until I thought of something better but I couldn't think of a good story or a good name so I was like, "Screw it." and decided to keep that as the name and make the story as horrible as possible.
I scrapped it and decided to start something else for BLink's 2015 modding competition.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
There was...

Wind Story (The original, Starring Beta Quote)

Wind Story + (Wasn't properly packaged, So I couldnt release it)

Wind Story : Lost land (Part 2 if the original, With Chemical plant zone)

Wind Story 2 (More original than the original, Much better story, Very incomplete)

Cave Story X (5 Quotes fighting alongside eachother!)

JV Story (Initials, Crappy remix of the beta theme)

The Three Towers (Fairly decent, It had the player in a hub that links to many ares)

Delta Dash (Somewhat like the current wind story, I planned on making a cruddy remake for the phone)

The challanges (It sucked)

Cave Story - Hax Edition (Beta music.... Thats it)

Wind Story 2013 Edition (Tried to recreate the original, Failed miserably)

Wind Story Reborn (Sparked the concept for the current Wind Story)

Mine Imator : Order of the stone (For an old website I'm now banned on. It was essentially a 2d Minecraft Cave Story thing)

Cosmitopia : Brotherhood of Gold (For my old Minecraft server, Like Order of the stone but better in a few aspects)

Cave Story Roleplay Forums Mod (Yet to be seen, Takes place 20 years after the events of Cave Story)

I have a backup of Delta dash... But it wasn't the latest version. The other versions of Wind Story were all rekt.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm currently making an anthology of all my greatest non-released works, titled "Enthology" because I'm a punny person.
So yeah you'll see everything unseen eventually, including the intro to Quote's Revelation.

I believe My testing man Blink still has that engraved in his memory, you know, the part where you were told not to touch the keyboard and just watch.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Ah, yes, I two others... it was yet another challenge mod, titled "Cave Story: Challenge Edition". I planned to have challenges based around the vanilla CS with the addition of secrets, including a map above the Balcony that led to "Heaven" (it was a more open and reverse-direction and remapped version of the Sacred Grounds). After the data once again became corrupted due to using an outdated Booster's Lab version, I lost all of my data. This particular mod led to two things:
1. The Heaven styling led to the creation of Heaven and Hell.
2. I started backing up all of my WIP on to Google Docs.

Additionally, there was Doctor Who Story, which was to require a ton of work. However, when I was close to releasing a large portion as a demo, I lost it to a virus, and did not feel like restarting. I only got to Grasstown, which in my opinion is not very far.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:50 PM
War criminal
I should mention about when I was making Story Changed, but I don't even like saying the name of it. All I can really say is that some concept from it has been implemented in CSTSF Mod.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I tried to adapt Yellow (an RM2K game) into a CS mod. Didn't get far.

There was also an attempt to make a visual novel with a CS mod, one where platforming is required to reach various choices in the game, until I remembered that it hinged on my writing ability.

And there was an attempt (if you can call it that) to merge the best bits of both CS translations together. I simply lost interest part way through.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:52 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I have ATLEAST 4 of them.
The Cave (totally not a generic mod name): I was making this for the island mod contest. I remember it had about 10 minutes of gameplay when I scrapped it. It was about a guy who falls into a cave (best story amirite) and you have to find a way out. It would have been inspired by ikachan.

Spur Challenge(CS+): I worked on this for like, 5 minutes, couldn't figure out how to make a cs+ mod, and gave up. It obviously would have been like the machine gun/nemesis challenges, but with the spur.

Some random thing I made: Was supposed to be a game idea I had but in CS mod form. Didn't get very far at all, there was like.. 15 seconds of gameplay

CS Beta Remake: Exactly what it says on the tin.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM
2dbro
Uh ok ill list

-2DBro Story
-Contra Story
-Shed.mov thing
-An abandoned Halloween mod
-Another one
-Quote-Man
-The Legend of Zelda Story
-Alot more I dont remember

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Hello.

I have a lot of them.

(Question mark) - I think there were two signs, each said a question mark, and a Y/N option. One lead to a good area, the other lead to a bad area. I think it used music from WTFStory...

another mod really - Some sort of gauntlet.

Cave Runner LOTASRAF - Some attempt at a Cave Story and Bit Trip Runner 2 crossover. What LOTASRAF? I think Legend Of The... the stuff. I've forgotten.

Christmas mod - Christmas mod! I think Curly had a sweater, Mimiga Village was snowed in, and that was it.

Genderswap - As the title says, everyone is the opposite gender. I think Curly was also Australian...

Joke KNF - something very stupid. Involved a overpowered-as-fuck Bubbler.

KIBackup/KidIcarus - An attempt to recreate Kid Icarus in Cave Story.

Knf Package - A "package" of both B4KNF and KNF.

lets do this - The only difference is that the program title says "Cave Story ~ Some kinda edit"

Mimiga Story - As it says on the tin.

Misery Story - Cave Story with Misery as Quote and Quote as Misery.

Quote Wants EverythingStory - Memories instead of transmissions, Quote yelling a lot, Misery being there, so is Balrog, a point where you can infinitely say "no", and yeah. Featuring Egg Corriderp and Meep Zone. Jelly Jeep? ...Was I on something?

Side down up/Side down up - Copy - A game where the mechanic was rooms that flipped, sort of like VVVVVV except through doors. I think the .exe got corrupted...

Story Story - A sort of funny version of Cave Story with fart jokes and Oreo. I might release it one day.

TQA - I don't know how I even thought this could work, there's too many Quotes... (A mod about an alternate universe me and a friend made that starred a fuckton of Quotes, such as WTFStory Quote, Oreo, KNF, and more)

Unnamed CS hack - Quote go to surface. Also my first time experimenting with <FL+ and <FLJ.

Where's my hat - Quote has lost his hat. And he wants it back.

Fleche's* Adventure - I was GOING to make this for the mod contest a few months back. Procrastination got me while making the facepics, but I got sprites and weapons down, and basic story. I think most of my problem was that at this point, I didn't even know Fleche's personality, so it made it much harder...

*Fleche is my main unit in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I remember some of these being made way back in 2013, but since I've since moved everything to my external hard drive, the original dates have been lost.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Kayya said:
Misery Story - Cave Story with Misery as Quote and Quote as Misery.
#BringBackMiseryStory

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:10 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Kayya said:
Joke KNF - something very stupid. Involved a overpowered-as-fuck Bubbler.
Knf Package - A "package" of both B4KNF and KNF.
remember: every time knf is referred to as a thing, an innocent mimiga is killed
just remember that
every mod of mine that wasn't released in a thread/post were cancelled, and even then the only "finished" one was Alosona.4. so technically i complete no mods ever.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:28 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I'm currently making an anthology of all my greatest non-released works, titled "Enthology" because I'm a punny person.

So yeah you'll see everything unseen eventually, including the intro to Quote's Revelation.

I believe My testing man Blink still has that engraved in his memory, you know, the part where you were told not to touch the keyboard and just watch.

I forgot about that, I don't even have it since my hard drive format...

I have some abandoned stuff

OMOCHAO - I have some demo hanging around the site somewhere I think (maybe it's still in my sig?). You would really just have to see it.

Bank Story - nothing more than a slowed down version of access, the doctor with a top hat that says "YES" on it, and some sound effects. (YES banking! you want a loan, the answer is YES!)

Unnamed prequal - Had to do with Ballos demise and Jenka, It never made it any further than a post or two on the forums right before the I&D section closed.

MPVW - a mod that had to do with Ma Pignon saving his pink mushroom girl friend from monster X, it had about 12 maps, a lot of useless dialouge related to items in houses, and a downright awesome org I plan to reuse in another mod that's in dev right now. I did this in part with Enlightened One

Random story - Just testing grounds for modding, specifically ASM hacks. The map area looked a lot like the first area in WTF story. I believe the last time I opened it was to test the animation of the blinking eye block found in DoR3 and the <INV command.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:48 PM
2dbro
OMOCHAO was beautiful, BLink. I have it in my mods folder for safekeeping.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:29 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I'm slightly late to the party, but I really enjoy this sort of discussion. I've been speculating about the plans for unfinished mods as long as I've been here. While they often don't work out ideally, it doesn't mean that the ideas contained therein have to disappear with them. If nowhere else, they can go here instead!

Here are a couple of mine:
My first mod idea was sequel mod called Poisoned Earth. It had a very standard setup; Quote & Curly are returned to the island, something is afoot, the old areas are explored, characters are revisited, etc. The main focus, though, was on the history of the core and what the effects were of what the Doctor ended up doing to it. There also would have been somewhat of a subplot about Curly's memory loss issues. Eventually it would be explained that the entire island had been irradiated with red flower energy, turning the very ground itself into a volatile threat that could coalesce at any moment (hence the title). I never quite figured out exactly how they were going to solve it though. The 'villains' were also very tacked on and would only have shown up near the end. Eventually, I decided not to post any demos. There was a lot less information on hacking available at the time, which, combined with my lack of artistic ability, meant that even the simplest alterations would have been severely time consuming for what was meant to be a relatively simple mod concept. Despite that, it's still the most complete idea I've produced, on paper at least. I'm not done plundering it for ideas yet, either.

Oh man I am totally getting nostalgia everywhere :toroko2:

Another one was Basil's Blazetrack, a speedrun-type mod with a different style in every map. It never really got going, again mostly due to time, once I realised how many areas I was expecting myself to put together, as well as complications with the Nikumaru Counter (which I guess also counts as time :chin:). Still, I've reused a couple of elements from it; it's where I came up with the idea for Don't Let Go, as well as having Jack as the starting NPC in Take 8. Oh, and it indirectly served as inspiration for that neato Basil I got Wild Desu to make me :mahin:
Nothing else unposted that I've dreamed up (and am not still working on) ever really made it out of the conceptualisation phase. That's my story then, for the time being. I'm sure there are still more wonderful tales of yore to share, especially from some of the older members :D

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM
beep boop
There is one mod that I abandoned, and never even mentioned it before. It was called The Return, and was meant to be a mod in a top down perspective, I had everything working and it was going fine, I was even going to make the jump key be used to talk. It would use Randolf's edit to Before Story's <UNI0001, which allowed you to change directions. Bosses and cutscenes would use the regular Cave Story sidescroller view point, and I had a few custom sound tracks made as well. The only problem I had was hacking the exp to stay in mid air, the fireballs physics, and getting a good story down. I'm actually thinking of reviving it after I A.) Get my computer back, and B.) Finish Dust.