CS Forum Races

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
One day, the CSTSF group decided to have a Cave Story Race, some of us (attempting) to speedrun Cave Story and see who could get the fastest time. Sometime later, the CSTSF Group and I discussed about expanding it after PolarStar went and decided to make a video compiling our recordings, put side-by-side with the Skype Call we had going on in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4mQ6C3AxS0&list=WL&index=1

So, with folk like Tpcool, Gir, Hate9, and several others wanting to join in on the fun, I was wondering if anyone else from the forums would like to take a stab at it?

-----------------------------------------------------

Race Conditions:

Game: VVVVVV, A Race to the Finish
Saturday, November 8th, 5:30PM PST/8:30PM EST.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Considering how fun that Cave Story race was, I'd definitely race another game

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:02 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'd like to race for WTFStory, even though I know I might do badly.

EDIT: I realized my Skype is broken. Er....

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
We need to set up a time to do it, otherwise a lot of us probably won't be there when it happens.
Also, I know I'm mentioned in the OP, but count me in!

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:09 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
JonSpider said:
One day, the CSTSF group decided to have a Cave Story Race, some of us (attempting) to speedrun Cave Story and see who could get the fastest time.
You didn't just decide that one day, you decided it when me and COOL had a Mega Man 4 race that I failed horribly at and barely played, WE CAME FIRST MOTHERFUCKERS
...Sorry, COOL made me say that I didn't want to I am just easily peer pressured.
Uh, but yeah the last race we had was a lot of fun, even though I wasn't playing myself! It would be great to see more people join in, it's really a great idea that I think would be nice for us to do together, really brings us together as a community. Unless we all hate each other.
Also I am definitely joining VVVVVV race and if you do we may or may not make you get the Doing Things The Hard Way/Veni Vidi Vici trinket. That's all I really have to say on the topic. Sorry for nothing really constructive...

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:48 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
haha didn't realize there was going to be a thread. Thanks for sharing the video anyway. It was fun to make! Not so fun to render! It took 12 hours! 12 FUCKING HOURS but I still enjoyed making it.

Anyway yes forum races are cool. I may make more of these. Assuming that these aren't happening every day because ffFFFUCK IT TOOK SO LONG TO RENDER, I'M STILL ANNOYED. (Maybe weekly?)

Edit: also I am currently adding annotations to the video linking to important parts so hold onto your pants

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Melon Lord
Alright, so a bit more discussion between us and we were thinking of having the WTFStory race start sometime on Saturday, 4PM PST/7PM EST. Does that sound good to you guys? Figured weekends would be viable. If not Saturday, maybe Sunday.

Also, if we did WTFStory, it'll have to be on Normal Mode. Also version 0.4 because that's the only version before the Nikumaru Counter got replaced. This version is only slightly edited with 2 things: The Nikumaru Counter is equipped at the start of the game, and the files can be modified to your liking (They're BMPs). Go ahead and change the MyChar or something if you want to put in crappy self-inserts add some of your own flavour to the game. Maybe change the music for fun as well?

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Should do contest winner mods.

diph.php

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Melon Lord
2DBro said:
I'd like to race for WTFStory, even though I know I might do badly.

EDIT: I realized my Skype is broken. Er....

Also I don't think it'd be necessary to really be in the CSTSF Skype Group (Or a specialized Skype Group for Speedrunning if we ever made that). Just make sure to have a recording, picture, or something showing your time in the end.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:54 AM
2dbro
JonSpider said:
Also I don't think it'd be necessary to really be in the CSTSF Skype Group (Or a specialized Skype Group for Speedrunning if we ever made that). Just make sure to have a recording, picture, or something showing your time in the end.

Alright. I'll record sometime around Saturday. Maybe post it on youtube if I want.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:18 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ZarroTsu said:
Should do contest winner mods.

diph.php
or just
whatever they feel like

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:21 AM
Melon Lord
After a bit more discussion, we figured that basically 'Downgrading to an inferior version for the sake of a counter' is dumb. We'll just go ahead and stick with the latest version of WTFStory and leave it 'Who can beat it first' to keep the race Mentality.

If we do other CS Mods, we'll put the counter in. WTFStory is just a different case.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:16 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
aka I thought up of this rule and I'm amazing and jon tried stealing it from me but it's fine

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:30 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I'd join in a VVVVV race but I'm shit at it, but I'd gladly join in WTF story or something else except I can't because timezones.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Random-storykeeper said:
I want to join...it'll be a good excuse to play Cave Story again.
We probably won't be playing Cave Story again. Maybe we'll do it for the 10th anniversary or something but other than that this is probably the only time for a long time.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do a Tetris race
Or, better, The lion king for SNES

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
Noxid said:
Do a Tetris race
Actually, that's quite a good idea.

Perhaps something not like a race, but each contestant gets 3 lives. They must film them playing from start to end with their three lives. The longest time and the points from it are given in. Then we compare times and points of each person. The person with the longest time and highest points to it wins. Ie, someone with 2 seconds or something would lose, but someone with a few minutes and loads of points would beat someone with a minute more but not as many.

Idk I can't word things