Nov 6, 2018 at 9:40 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"

CrossCode -
http://www.cross-code.com
This retro-inspired 2D Action RPG might outright surprise you. CrossCode combines 16-bit SNES-style graphics with butter-smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system, and engaging puzzle mechanics, served with a gripping sci-fi story.

CrossCode is all about how it plays! That's why there is a free Steam demo! Go give it a try! Take the best out of two popular genres, find a good balance between them and make a great game. That’s what CrossCode does. You get the puzzles of Zelda-esque dungeons and are rewarded with the great variety of equipment you know and love from RPGs. During the fast-paced battles you will use the tools you find on your journey to reveal and exploit the enemies' weaknesses and at the same time will be able to choose equipment and skills for a more in-depth approach in fighting your enemies.

What's included in the full version:

• Dive into a massive adventure with a playtime of around 30-80 hours
  • Explore a large world with 7 unique areas and hidden secrets all over the place
  • Fight over 120 enemy types including 30+ boss fights
  • Enter 7 expansive dungeons, all with with unique themes and puzzle mechanics
  • Master over 90 combat arts and even more passive skills
  • Solve over 100 quests with a great variety of tasks and unique challenges
  • 60+ music tracks made by a rice ball (yes)
After finishing CrossCode, I have to say, this has been a great year for indie games. Iconoclasts, Wandersong, and now CrossCode. It was a huge single-player, 80 hour game avoiding the pitfalls of generic mapping or quests. And despite being 1.0, there is a promise of more to come and DLC(?). So if 80 hours wasn't enough lol, MORE is coming. I wish it was already here.

The game is full of simulated life, and even without voiced dialogue, I was just enraptured in the character's delivery of text. I went from CrossCode to another great looking game, Timespinner, and realized just how well CrossCode's characters were portrayed in comparison. Of course you might be more interested in knowing that the fighting (and the existence of puzzles) is even better than the dialogue. (Mostly due to the vast amount of gameplay vs dialogue). Take something like Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 and modernize it with fast paced overhead perspective combat. Maybe somewhat similar to Hyper Light Drifter. I found it both challenging and rewarding.

There's a demo btw. And I might mention the price is $20 USD or less if on sale. Not bad for 80 hours of Amazing...

Have you played it? Did you like it?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 4:13 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've had crosscode since early access 0.3 in 2015 or so after playing the demo on Newgrounds, and it's grown to be one of my favorite games, if not my complete favorite. Combat is adaptable and strategies for it are varied, the worldbuilding and story are excellent, and while I find most dungeon-type areas in games an exercise in tedium to get through, CrossCode's mazes of puzzles always culminate in a feeling of satisfaction. The sidequests, too, are quite varied, with many inserting minigames or new mechanics. Art and music is outstanding, as well. Really, I couldn't say enough good things about this game.
If I had to mention a flaw, it would be the little difficulty spike after the second dungeon's boss or the semi-spammable lv. 3 wave guard art.
As X-Calibar mentioned, the devs are still working on the postgame and a few other additions. (Kinda wish they waited until that was done before calling it a 1.0 but what can ya do)
There's also a (somewhat) active modding community for the game, but tools and whatnot for doing such are still in development.

If anyone's playing the game for the first time after the 1.0 release, here's a little secret from the betas, and a few tips: (minor spoilers)
The codes for the "enter bonus code" button on the main menu can be found here: https://crosscode.gamepedia.com/g00...Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=22
Early in the game, you might encounter an old observatory. In the postgame release, it will probably be able to be opened, but right now there's not a lot that can be done.
While jumping, using a melee attack and immediately canceling it with a dash will result in a longer jump, which can be used to skip some puzzles, a bit of sequence breaking, and overall more convenient movement.
Some combat arts can be combined, and, while very expensive in sp and potentially game performance, can clear multiple phases of a boss if done correctly. (Ex. lv. 3 wave dash gungnir and lv. 3 shock melee song of storms)

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:15 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Ohh, thanks for the tips! Started a new game to try the amazing voice acting...
Ah the nostalgia... ah... "KAWAI" AHHH

Oh, and I look forward to trying out that long jump technique. It could be fun to make a video about trying to solve puzzles in alternative ways/skipping others.
Wish that DLC was already out ;)

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:21 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I have been keeping an eye on this after playing a bit of the demo. I'm not sure I'm up for 80+ hours of top-down slashy shooty but if it ever goes on sale big enough I'll probably grab it.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:27 AM
Indie game enthusiast
I have been keeping an eye on this after playing a bit of the demo. I'm not sure I'm up for 80+ hours of top-down slashy shooty but if it ever goes on sale big enough I'll probably grab it.
You could shorten the playtime if you're not compulsively compelled to try to 100% every little quest and unimportant treasure (like me), not to mention you could customize the difficulty in-game with the latest patch. Some were complaining the game was too hard, so now there are sliders. I imagine that would speed up the slow parts.

Though personally, 80 hours wasn't enough for me x)