Creating a Lightweight, Cave Story-esq iOS App

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:14 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hello everyone. After leaving the forums in mid-2013, I didn’t give Cave Story too much thought. During my absence I developed an interest in computer science, which has led to to take classes in Java, C++, HTML, and now Swift. To cut to the chase, I am a pioneering member of an iOS app development class using Swift. After learning the basics of the language syntax during the first quarter, my programming teacher is allowing us to choose a long term assignment for the second quarter. It can be any kind of application, so long as I am applying a basic knowledge of iOS functionality and can reach some level of completion in ~3 months. When I thought of lightweight, impactful apps Cave Story came back into my mind. Cave Story makes up for what it lacks in advanced features with charm and an intriguing storyline - from a design perspective, a much more manageable game design for a student to explore. A lightweight, Cave Story-esq game would expand my knowledge of the language and be able to deliver a satisfying user experience. Cave Story uses a lot of ingenious design elements like all of the hidden easter eggs and alternate endings, but I would not like to simply be a copycat.

I don’t know if any of you are willing to help, but I am looking to gather inspiration for simplistic game mechanics (beyond basic motion controls, map design, etc) that you could recommend based on your experiences with other indie titles.

TL;DR: Have any simplistic game mechanics in other indie games stuck out to you?

P.S: Although it has been a very long time since my last login, it was nice to see many of the users I used to interact with are still here.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
What does 'impactful' mean?

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:27 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I have a couple ideas and stuff. I would gladly think of some concepts. I'm barely any good with code though, but graphics I could help with.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"