Cook.pxm

May 12, 2016 at 6:23 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If this was discussed about before, tell me to stop it now.

So I found something interesting while looking at the files in the Stage folder. Similarly to when the entity file "New.pxe" was found, I found a lone file called "Cook.pxm", and I substituted the Start Point map file with this one and I came across this room (I also changed the tileset to what best fit the map design and got this):
p215010-0-c7rbesr.png

There are no .pxe entity files or .tsc script files for Cook, so this is probably a lost beta room for the current version of the game. I just thought this was interesting. I wonder which part of the game this room would've been used for...

Edit: Now that I think of it, I think this thread was probably put in the wrong section. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016 at 6:46 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
intredasting.

are there any more maps like this?

May 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM
War criminal
Similarly to the New.pxe file, there's also no more odd .pxm files in the Stage folder.

May 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Looks similar to Santa's house.. Looks like its an interior from grasstown with some npc who knows how to make a tasty pie

May 12, 2016 at 10:05 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If I look at the name, I could imagine that maybe it was supposed to be in Miniga Village where the Mimiga cook their food, and the idea being scrapped since regular non-red flowers are good enough for them.

May 13, 2016 at 12:34 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
this is actually really cool. but if this is the only odd pxm file in cs, then i'm worried that we've already found everything this game has to offer. if it's already been stripped down assembly-wise, then this might be it. though the fact we've found something new(???) in 2016 is kinda baffling.

or maybe this has already been found and i'm getting excited over nothing
enfgh

May 13, 2016 at 1:12 AM
Based Member
Interesting what that could have been. It could have been a possible additional room in Grasstown for a third Mimiga. Could have been early plans for King's house that got scrapped. Or perhaps something else entirely. It's interesting what traces Pixel leaves behind with his stray resources and code that never executes.

May 13, 2016 at 1:50 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This is fairly interesting, can't help but wonder what the room was originally going to be used for

I'm still waiting for the day where we might finally get an official beta version of Cave Story.

I doubt that happen for quite some time.

May 13, 2016 at 2:24 AM
i kinda doubt that pixel has any cave story beta stuff backed up anywhere

but who knows

May 13, 2016 at 2:56 AM
Based Member
i kinda doubt that pixel has any cave story beta stuff backed up anywhere
I'd bet that he has it backed up, he just doesn't want to release it. He's declined numerous requests to release it, and there was even a video of it being shown off. So I'm pretty sure Pixel still has it on hand, it's just under lock and key.

May 13, 2016 at 6:38 PM
War criminal
One major problem with that is that there is no one definitive "Cave Story Beta." There are many, many Cave Story Betas. And some of them would resemble the final Cave Story more than others.

Also: Good job for finding this, Lincoln. I'm surprised I haven't yet, considering how often I used to look trough the game files when I was actively modding.
The only beta materials we have are text scraps, Beta Balrog, the Homing Flames, other NPCs that I probably forgot to list, unused sprites, the Ikachan cursor, New.pxe, 555.pxe (it's just a blank entity map), and Cook.pxm, and even some of those aren't self-explanatory to where in the game they belong.

Also, Lincoln? Seriously?

Last edited:
May 14, 2016 at 2:52 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
What's New.pxe? I've never heard of the map.

Also, this info should be added to the Cutting Room floor page about Cave Story. I might do that when I'm not on my smartphone

May 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
One major problem with that is that there is no one definitive "Cave Story Beta." There are many, many Cave Story Betas. And some of them would resemble the final Cave Story more than others.
There was one version in late 2003 where Pixel dropped most of everything in terms of levels, assets, and story and started again. The version prior to that upheaval is what most people consider to be the definitive Cave Story beta. Essentially it is to Cave Story what Gero Blaster was to Kero Blaster.

Last edited:
May 14, 2016 at 8:43 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
this is actually really cool. but if this is the only odd pxm file in cs, then i'm worried that we've already found everything this game has to offer. if it's already been stripped down assembly-wise, then this might be it. though the fact we've found something new(???) in 2016 is kinda baffling.

or maybe this has already been found and i'm getting excited over nothing
enfgh
Found already :( http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/cave-story-maps-in-png-format-and-more.418/

I think we've probably found everything, although there's some unused code I didn't bother writing about.

May 15, 2016 at 6:07 AM
Wow nice find. I love finding unused content in games. (Recently I data minded Imscared and found an entire demo of the game).

May 25, 2016 at 3:29 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oh yeah I came across this and saw it had no use and deleted it. I always thought that it was already discovered.