Converting vanilla mod to PSP. HELP ME! *SOBS*

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM
"Huzzah!"
I'm working on a Cave Story mod called Chocolate Sunday. I'm kinda new to CS modding, but I've quickly got the hang of Sue's workshop. (0.3A)

My mod has no fancy tricks. It's a script-heavy level mod using existing content.

How do I convert this mod to PSP format? I really want to be able to do the bulk of my testing after hours, kicking back, so to speak. I've managed to get CSZ converter working, but am at a loss when it comes to creating a .PBP file which will work. (Cut-pasting Cave Story PSP crashed the console.)

NB: the project file has 95 maps. I understand this is a problem? I could easily recreate the offending map at an earlier number, because I've started map replacing already, (mod only has five maps so far) but have I possibly damaged the offsets?

Look, I'm just asking for advice. I'd feel much better even knowing if my mod will be portable when it's finished.

EDIT:

I'm terribly sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. Opera Mini was misbehaving. My deepest apologies.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You need to copy the mapdata in Doukutsu.exe to data/maps.dat and eboot.pbp via a hex editor. Well I actually have a tool around here somewhere...

Here you go:
http://cavestory.org/downloads/inspsp.zip

Run this in the same folder as your maps.dat file and an unedited CS PSP EBOOT.PBP to inject the mapdata into EBOOT.PBP.

Extracting mapdata from Doukutsu.exe you'll have to do manually for now since your current mapdata can be stored in a different place depending on what editor you used. I'll see if I can throw together a tool for extracting the data when I have the time.

You should also note that your maps.dat file must be exactly 19000 bytes in length. Open up your the CS PSP default one to get an idea.

Other important details are that all pbms must be 8-bit or under, only maps 94 and under can be copied over, and the Lounge map (map 59) is misspelt "lounge" in the PC version, so you will need to fix that since the PSP version is case sensitive when it comes to map names.

Sorry I have to hit the sack right now but I'll see if I can give you something a bit more comprehensive come this weekend.

I could also port it for you if you want.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
Thanks a bunch! I undid the +95 map damage by starting project from scratch and manually replacing the map files from my backup. I'll justs design my mod around the map limit.

I'm fairly good with hex editing, so I think I'll be able to do this.

IT WORKS! I opened up Doukutsu in 7 zip, extracted .data, then opened it in Transhextion. Then I dumped the map list, trimming the front and back garbage data. I opened up maps.dat, and injected the new data, making sure they lined up and wasn't overflowing. Cave Story psp is booting fine. Kind of. I just realised I forgot to copy the revised start map into the PSP files. But once I correct that, the mod'll work perfectly.

It's important to note that PSP cave story's data folder has files found inside the .EXE file of the PC version. If these aren't present, the game/mod will crash, regardless of map list.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Why don't you share this mod with us?

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
CommanderJersey said:
Why don't you share this mod with us?

It might be just a bad mod he doesn't want to show others. I remember my first mod, entitled "My Cave Story". It was impossible after Shack. Either that, or he just doesn't want to share it with us becauseHE HATES US he doesn't want us to see it.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:22 AM
"Huzzah!"
This thread wasn't supposed to be put under showcase. I made a mistake, as I mentioned in first post.

This mod is less than a week old. This is my first CS mod. *Crickets*

Now I'm sure you're thinking 'great, another wannabe modder who'll give up and quietly disappear to avoid crushing humiliation'. But you'd be wrong.

Basically, so far I've built the major hub areas, and am writing dialogue and cutscenes. I want to create something akin to a sitcom spinoff. Not to say there'll be laughs, but the idea of having numerous side-quests instead of one big linear plot appeals to me.

For me, mods like Jenka's Nightmare, while magnificent technical achievements, are poorly written and padded out with combat and puzzles.

I'm quite determined to finish this. PSP compatibility is very important, because having so many cutscenes and flags means lots of testing: and I prefer to test on PSP.

EDIT:

ETA: feb 2012?

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Ambient_Malice said:
Now I'm sure you're thinking 'great, another wannabe modder who'll give up and quietly disappear to avoid crushing humiliation'. But you'd be wrong.
Actually most people post at least some kind of start, if not much beyond that

Ambient_Malice said:
For me, mods like Jenka's Nightmare, while magnificent technical achievements, are poorly written and padded out with combat and puzzles.
Um, not to jump on your back here, but JN is generally an ideal example of how to write properly for a mod/anything really (good pacing, interesting things happening, enjoyable character interactions, lack of fluff/pretentiousness/etc). I think this would have more meaning with some context, e.g. an example of what you do consider good writing. And could you elaborate on "combat and puzzles"? I know JN is rather heavy on the latter but at the moment that just reads to me as "padded out by gameplay" which makes it sound like you want to create a visual novel.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
Um, not to jump on your back here, but JN is generally an ideal example of how to write properly for a mod/anything really (good pacing, interesting things happening, enjoyable character interactions, lack of fluff/pretentiousness/etc). I think this would have more meaning with some context, e.g. an example of what you do consider good writing. And could you elaborate on "combat and puzzles"? I know JN is rather heavy on the latter but at the moment that just reads to me as "padded out by gameplay" which makes it sound like you want to create a visual novel.
Well cave story is a healthy mix of story and gameplay. In JN however story takes a back seat most of the time and rarely progresses. In CS every puzzle, boss, major map, etc. awarded you with story progression while JN expected you to get through X number of maps before it showed you anything. It's a great mod but is by no means "an ideal example of how to write properly for a mod/anything" and can most definitely be defined as "padded out with gameplay". Story progression is JN's biggest failing. Not saying that JN lacks it but rather that it is sparse.

So I am pretty sure that Ambient_Malice was referring to this rather than suggesting that he would make a mod without gameplay. Although I won't deny that a visual novel style mod would be interesting.

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
DoubleThink said:
Actually most people post at least some kind of start, if not much beyond that

I'm looking to create something which puts combat in the background. I don't enjoy games which hold out the plot carrot on a stick, and then force you to run and jump and shoot lots of bad guys to get the next taste. In this respect, even CS itself falls a little flat, but only because of strict linearity.

For example, in my mod:

Chiba has a new shop. You can go to Chiba, and accept a job from him. This job could be to find him something. Until this task is complete, you cannot accept new tasks. Each main NPC character will have about 5-8 side-quests, some of which interact with each other. As each side-quest is completed, the main storyline advances. (Main storyline will remain secret until release. So don't bother asking.)

Things are going pretty well. I'm just worried what'll happen to my productivity when my copy of Skyrim arrives. :p

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:43 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
andwhyisit said:
Well cave story is a healthy mix of story and gameplay. In JN however story takes a back seat most of the time and rarely progresses. In CS every puzzle, boss, major map, etc. awarded you with story progression while JN expected you to get through X number of maps before it showed you anything.
Iunno, I think parts like the Sand Zone have a good a blend of story and gameplay. It certainly feels less 'empty' than a lot of the other mods tend to.

andwhyisit said:
and can most definitely be defined as "padded out with gameplay".
No such thing :p

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hey does anyone have a list of which flags are reserved for weapons and items, and whether Cave Story has a limit on how many flags can be set?

EDIT:

I'm working under the assumption that 2000-7999 are safe to set. Is this correct?

EDIT2:

Let me make one thing clear. I'm not bagging Jenka's Nightmare. I'm just saying it wasn't as story rich as I like a game to be. Sorta reminded me of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:19 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Um I think 0-100 or so are reserved, but beyond that I'm not sure. You oughta be safe with your range.